• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Nearest PWS to me got to -8, so we’ll go with that imby. I concur that this has been not just a good winter period, but a great winter period that has made it easy to forget December. By the time the snowpack goes away, we should be on the plus side of two weeks with continuous snow cover.

3 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, I don't really understand that.

Temp bounced around a lot last night if you look at the 5-min obs. Same with the night before. I know if you get a puff of wind or a few passing clouds on these deep radiational cooling nights it can really have an effect, but it doesn’t look like there was much of that in the obs last night as compared to the night before.

51 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Temperatures were all over the place. My car thermometer was registering changes of 20+ degrees in just a few miles. From double digit readings below zero to near 10F above.

I noticed some big swings too, it was -8 at my house, dropped to -12 at a local spot that radiates well, then saw +7 in and around the city. I crossed the Rankin bridge going towards west mifflin around 6am and it was 0 but also had some "pollution effect" pixie dust falling out of the plumes of smoke from nearby industry. So much so the bridge had a coating on it. Really interesting. I know 7 or 8 years ago NWS posted radar of a snow band that developed off the steam towers from one of the nuclear power plants, I don't think I saved it though.

20 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Did anyone notice Tropical Tidbits now has Euro precip maps / 500 maps (including 6z / 18z runs)? I prefer TT  interface to Pivotal, maybe I've just been using it longer and I'm old lol but I was happy to see that addition.

just noticed this! Thank you. TT is way more user friendly. Not that there is anything wrong with Pivotal, but TT is a little bit easier to navigate. 

Some very large diurnal ranges across the region. After temperatures below zero this morning (in some cases, way below zero), the mercury has climbed to near freezing across the region:

Cambridge, OH (KCDI) 32/-16 (48 degree swing)

Zanesville, OH (KZZV) 31/-11 (42 degree swing)

New Philadelphia, OH (KPHD) 29/-11 (40 degree swing)

New Castle, PA (KUCP) 26/-12 (38 degree swing)

Butler, PA (KBTP) 30/-10 (40 degree swing)

Washington, PA (KAFJ) 34/-7 (41 degree swing)

Pittsburgh, PA (KPIT) 29/-6 (35 degree swing)

The Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge site has had a 62 degree swing (Hi: 31/ Low: -31).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

just noticed this! Thank you. TT is way more user friendly. Not that there is anything wrong with Pivotal, but TT is a little bit easier to navigate. 

Looks like it's delayed by an hour per Levi the site owner, so if you are on the edge of your seat for that data pay site or pivotal still your best bet. I rarely stay up for the Euro anyways and if a storm is imminent always have other sources.

20 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Maybe longer... :( 

Was 93 our last blizzard warning or did we get one in 94 or 96?

I'd guess that besides the white out arctic fronts that come through I'd say that's the last time we had blizzard warning/conditions. I bet within the next 5 years we get our 12+ storm. I feel like we are due. 

15 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

my God I can't help but track the next storm and the NAM just absolutely NAMd NYC and NE. 20+ inches of snow with 60 mph gusts. That's a KU NESIS 5 if it happens. 

I would love to be up there for one of these storms. Looking forward to watching some coverage tomorrow. Just crazy 

10 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

my God I can't help but track the next storm and the NAM just absolutely NAMd NYC and NE. 20+ inches of snow with 60 mph gusts. That's a KU NESIS 5 if it happens. 

I think the limiting factor on the NESIS scale is how close to the coast everything will be. I think NESIS includes population impacted in its scale, so missing Philly and DC will really pull back that number. 

There is also a small Pittsburgh connection...Pitt bball is supposed to play Boston College tomorrow. My guess is that ain't happening.

Yes, nice to see another pack refresher. We need 1.9” today at PIT to get to 20 for the month, so that may be a tough ask but not impossible.

On another note, we’re now at the halfway point of snow climo. Normal through yesterday is 22.0”, normal for the season is 44.1”.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, TimB84 said:

I feel like the CPC can issue a map that looks like this every month and be right more often than not:

77AD1FA8-4433-494C-84BE-3D42B4492FF2.gif.01ae51a8eca20e04c54a57ce2f97d7ad.gif

Then again, they issued this one at the same time last year:

AEE85AC8-F13B-47BD-8E51-859DACF8632D.jpeg.4eb36f47f7e746fbbea42637bb14c4e6.jpeg

Anyone still talking about this? Looking at the first to weeks of February of the GFS it's gonna be bitter cold.:shiver: