Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

The overall look the first 2 weeks of Feb has degraded some vs the broad cold trough we saw a few days ago on the models. 

This says it all, but that’s not a surprise either. It’s difficult for us to get two consecutive months with below normal temperatures any time of year these days, but nearly impossible for that to happen in winter. The storm this week was never really ours and it’s still early, but we only have to think back to the middle of February 2021 to remember missing out on a storm and then later realizing it was our last chance for any appreciable snowfall.

25 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

some sad totals on this list

5h408QW.pngg

The lack of LES is pretty striking in places like Cleveland, Erie, even Buffalo though I think they have done better, but especially Syracuse.

I know a lot of Erie and Cleveland's totals are from LES usually but this year the MLK storm gave them a bunch, and I'd imagine that Youngstown's deficit is also from a lack of LES.

Also its weird to me that Akron has a much lower average than Cleveland and Youngstown.

11 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

The lack of LES is pretty striking in places like Cleveland, Erie, even Buffalo though I think they have done better, but especially Syracuse.

I know a lot of Erie and Cleveland's totals are from LES usually but this year the MLK storm gave them a bunch, and I'd imagine that Youngstown's deficit is also from a lack of LES.

Also its weird to me that Akron has a much lower average than Cleveland and Youngstown.

It has been painful here. Third consecutive crap winter in a row. It's going to take a HUGE comeback for us to get anywhere near normal.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

I agree with what you said before....just rain. I do not have any desire to see an ice storm

If there’s not any snow left on the ground by Thursday and this storm isn’t going to be snow, give me rain. If there’s any snowpack left, give me the ice to put a crust on whatever snow remains and give it some staying power.

Just now, TimB84 said:

If there’s not any snow left on the ground by Thursday and this storm isn’t going to be snow, give me rain. If there’s any snowpack left, give me the ice to put a crust on whatever snow remains and give it some staying power.

Ehhhhhhh I do NOT want what the Euro depicts of like 1.5 inches of it.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

When was the last time we got 1.5 inches of ice, or even 0.5 for that matter?

Yeah, it never happens, but we certainly are capable of .5 an inch and I do not want to see that at all. A sleet storm would be ok though as long as it isn't a storm we are predicted to get a foot and sleet ruins it.

12 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It has been painful here. Third consecutive crap winter in a row. It's going to take a HUGE comeback for us to get anywhere near normal.

I was giving Ray a hard time on the NE thread because he was complaining about "only" getting a foot.....I was like man, I've had IMBY one foot plus storm in the last 12 years and only two this century. I'm pretty sure they've had like 15+.

I do understand that missing 30 inches by 50 miles is painful, but we've done that here so many times. Not the 30 inches but even our one really good storm last year in December 75-100 miles NE got 30 inches.

30 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Yeah, it never happens, but we certainly are capable of .5 an inch and I do not want to see that at all. A sleet storm would be ok though as long as it isn't a storm we are predicted to get a foot and sleet ruins it.

For a real ice storm you need temps in the upper 20s or lower and light to moderate precipitation. Heavy rain and 31 degrees 95% is just runoff yet models show as accumulated ice. If there’s snow on the ground to soak it up and refereeze that can make an interesting setup but it’s my least favorite wintry precip. I’d take a heavy sleet storm any day. When was our last real ice storm? 

what ever happens it looks like North and West of the city is the place to be for better odds again. 

• Like 1

Not sure what conclusions we can draw from looking at the NAM at the end of its range, but at 12z Thursday the line between rain and mix is way out in NW OH and the line between mix and snow runs from Detroit to South Bend. Way NW of other models. I guess the conclusion we can draw is that this thing is DOA, but we knew that already.

24 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Not sure what conclusions we can draw from looking at the NAM at the end of its range, but at 12z Thursday the line between rain and mix is way out in NW OH and the line between mix and snow runs from Detroit to South Bend. Way NW of other models. I guess the conclusion we can draw is that this thing is DOA, but we knew that already.

and I'm totally OK with ZERO mixed precip. I'm a firefighter and work Thursday. That is a recipe for disaster for drivers. 

19 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

and I'm totally OK with ZERO mixed precip. I'm a firefighter and work Thursday. That is a recipe for disaster for drivers. 

But if this thing is going to find a way to give us a decent snow (which I’m seriously doubting), you’d take a period of ice between the rain and the snow if that’s what had to happen to get us to snow, right?

4 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

UK has a good hit too.

There is a bunch of ice on that GFS. Would be high impact taken literally.

Canadian has more mix too. Like everyone else I’d take 2 inches of sleet over any amount of freezing rain. Ideally I’d take a little rain then sleet then snow on the back end. 

10 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Long range NAM isn't great though, I thought?  Inside 48 hours is when it starts being really useful.

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Long range NAM isn't great though, I thought?  Inside 48 hours is when it starts being really useful.

Well there’s that, but then there was the event a couple weeks ago where it predicted the mixed precip debacle that would eventually cut our totals. Of course at this range, I believe it depicted significant icing, which didn’t happen in any form.

46 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Of course the last panel of the 6z NAM has us at 46 and partly sunny at 18z Thursday. No joke.

This setup plays into the NAMs bias though. It really amplifies the second wave and has less press from tpv / high pressure. Basically exact opposite of what the GFS was doing, less consolidated energy along the front and more cold push. Not saying NAM idea is wrong perse but even Euro moved a bit SE at 6z albeit not to the degree of the GFS. As always we need to get a couple runs in a row agreeing with the GFS otherwise maybe just noise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

This setup plays into the NAMs bias though. It really amplifies the second wave and has less press from tpv / high pressure. Basically exact opposite of what the GFS was doing, less consolidated energy along the front and more cold push. Not saying NAM idea is wrong perse but even Euro moved a bit SE at 6z albeit not to the degree of the GFS. As always we need to get a couple runs in a row agreeing with the GFS otherwise maybe just noise. 

Knew I could count on your expert analysis to fill in my knowledge gaps regarding modeling bias. Much appreciated.