Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

8 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Speaking of Denver, Denver is currently experiencing its 2nd longest spans between last snowfall of the season and first snowfall of the season. As of today the span is 230 days and counting. 

No snow has fallen as of 12/7. This adds on to the latest snowfall on record. The previous record 11/21/1934. Three of the latest snowfalls on record have come within the last 11 years including 11/17/2016 and 11/15/2010. 

How many more days does it have to go snowless before it sets the new record?

and I assume theyve had a trace, so this is for measurable snowfall?

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

The longest stretch between measurable snowfalls is 232 days. Measurable snowfall is likely very late Thursday or on Friday.

Don according to NWS Boulder/Denver the record is 235 days set way back in 1887....3/5/1887-10/25/1887. Denver is close to setting a new record but like the Broncos they may fumble at the goal line...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Don according to NWS Boulder/Denver the record is 235 days set way back in 1887....3/5/1887-10/25/1887. Denver is close to setting a new record but like the Broncos they may fumble at the goal line...

That seems to be an error. The daily data shows 0.1” on March 4, 1887 and 0.3” on October 23, 1887. That is 232 days without measurable snowfall.

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

BAMWX is a joke, bipolar, first it was going to be a super cold December at the end of November, then it was coming mid-December, then they cancelled the whole month as a torch, now they’re hyping the end of the month. So now no matter what happens they can claim victory

Considering the pattern(s) that has been in place for months I would be very leery of forecasting a significant pattern change. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Yes, I am aware of it. However, Denver's media outlets have also gone with 232 days (which fits the daily data I noted). That's why I think the site is in error. One example:

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/weather-colorado/203-days-no-snow-in-denver/73-5acd5882-1d50-4862-80fa-56b669f25343

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

If my memory is serving me well 71-72 would also fit with those years. 

Yes, those were all bad years lol.  I was thinking about 1999-00 too as a second year la nina, so that would work too, only thing is, wasn't there a snowstorm in January 2000? Was that a DC special?

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

Yes, I am aware of it. However, Denver's media outlets have also gone with 232 days (which fits the daily data I noted). That's why I think the site is in error. One example:

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/weather-colorado/203-days-no-snow-in-denver/73-5acd5882-1d50-4862-80fa-56b669f25343

Certainly it may be an error. if it is 232 days then Denver may tie the record. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The longest stretch between measurable snowfalls is 232 days. Measurable snowfall is likely very late Thursday or on Friday.

So if it's 232 days a new record is very likely to be set but if it's 235 it's not?  It's like a field goal that will either barely make it or hit the goal post and clunk out lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes, those were all bad years lol.  I was thinking about 1999-00 too as a second year la nina, so that would work too, only thing is, wasn't there a snowstorm in January 2000? Was that a DC special?

I recall there being a snowstorms in Jan or perhaps Feb of 00. At the time my mom was in a hospital in Boston and it was the only day that I was unable to visit her.  I would have to check my weather log books for details. 

• Like 1

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

I recall there being a snowstorms in Jan or perhaps Feb of 00. At the time my mom was in a hospital in Boston and it was the only day that I was unable to visit her.  I would have to check my weather log books for details. 

Jan 25 2000. Surprise storm that wasn't predicted until the day before. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Definitely changes in the epo coming around the 20th. It will take some time for it to cool down here, especially with the Uber -pna. 

Assuming the -EPO develops around the 20th and doesn’t move forward in time, there will be a lag, so with that lag factored in, the effects probably wouldn’t be felt until the beginning of January. Also, like you said, people need to keep in mind that even though the EPO changes, we are still going to have a super negative PNA, +AO, +NAO, a strong SPV and a beefed up SE ridge to deal with. We aren’t going to plunge into an arctic tundra

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Assuming the -EPO develops around the 20th and doesn’t move forward in time, there will be a lag, so with that lag factored in, the effects probably wouldn’t be felt until the beginning of January. Also, like you said, people need to keep in mind that even though the EPO changes, we are still going to have a super negative PNA, +AO, +NAO, a strong SPV and a beefed up SE ridge to deal with. We aren’t going to plunge into an arctic tundra

Nothng to be concerned with besides those...lol

I laugh at the local Town Facebook pages of all the Karen's complaining about losing power in storms.  I'm sure them living on a mountain surrounded by trees that hang near powerlines have nothing to do with it.   Tell them all trees should be cut in a 50 foot radius and they throw their hands in the air saying we can't kill the trees either