• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

The pieces of energy for the weekend storm(s) are currently located invof eastern Russia and the western Alaskan shore. Not sure what the data sampling is like up in those parts but I'm guessing not very good? Might be a few days before they get sufficiently sampled closer to the Lower 48.

• Like 2

Euro jumped on the Cutter train with RAIN across the entire Northeast this weekend (and a liiiiittle ice in the boonies of Maine.) Just ugly.

With each successive run giving us less and less snow for next week, do we end up punting even farther into January?

I have a feeling we're just going to keep on going with the pattern we've been stuck in. Strung out junk waves and mild air. This really seems like our base-state for winters now.

Part of me is actually rooting for a big, massive cutter up through the Central Great Lakes to hopefully shake things up. In reality, we haven't had one for weeks and weeks...and we need a change.

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Euro jumped on the Cutter train with RAIN across the entire Northeast this weekend (and a liiiiittle ice in the boonies of Maine.) Just ugly.

With each successive run giving us less and less snow for next week, do we end up punting even farther into January?

I have a feeling we're just going to keep on going with the pattern we've been stuck in. Strung out junk waves and mild air. This really seems like our base-state for winters now.

Part of me is actually rooting for a big, massive cutter up through the Central Great Lakes to hopefully shake things up. In reality, we haven't had one for weeks and weeks...and we need a change.

The Euro looks like a weak low passing west of us followed by a frontal passage. The only good out of it is it looks like it sets us up for some lake effect the beginning of next week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Fun to dream image.thumb.png.5f90a5bd3451bfd5b6baf97c6918c83e.png

I noticed this am on WIVB and their backup meteorologist Mike Doyle show the snowfall forecast for tonight as dusting to an inch Buffalo north. This may very well be correct but 2 things jumped out at me, first was the actual model run itself and how much heavy snow was all over WNY and he actually mentions this, the second thing is in the color coding over Southern Ontario shows what would appear to be significantly more accumulation than right over the river into WNY… now seeing the ICON and the GFS and I’m starting to wonder a bit.

5 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

This is usually what it takes to shake the pattern up and get us some snow.

It's painful but it pays off in the end.

These weak sheared out systems and frontal passages we are having now just won't do it.

• Like 2

Welp,  6Z GooFuS brings a brief snow to Southern tier and then 2 big gullywashers in the next 10-14 days, so, if true, we've lost half of January.  We stand a real chance of challenging the low seasonal snowfall totals in the 2015/16 winter of discontent.  I say if we're going low, go real low!

• Like 1

If anyone was wondering the Euro Ens took a dump as well at 0z. Not much to hang hat on other than there still time for a miracle to happen. A lot of the mean snowfall is from tonight's event too, so by 12z tomorrow it'll probably look way worse lol. Chicago looks like a good place to be for the next 7 days. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-total_snow_10to1-1254400.thumb.png.a56c99c718e70de02486b8d6a814c935.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-total_snow_10to1-1254400.thumb.png.32cea2b5d4e495803ead6848d9db093f.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_a-1254400.thumb.png.6344f6e7aeaa33d82ceede6f760ce4ae.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-snow_total_multimember_panel_ecmwf_b-1254400.thumb.png.fbefe2408d73d8577e29dc914283c713.png

14 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

If anyone was wondering the Euro Ens took a dump as well at 0z. Not much to hang hat on other than there still time for a miracle to happen. A lot of the mean snowfall is from tonight's event too, so by 12z tomorrow it'll probably look way worse lol. Chicago looks like a good place to be for the next 7 days. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-total_snow_10to1-1254400.thumb.png.a56c99c718e70de02486b8d6a814c935.png

Yeah, the upper Midwest into southern Canada (looking at you Wisconsin, Quebec) seem well situated in this pattern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I noticed this am on WIVB and their backup meteorologist Mike Doyle show the snowfall forecast for tonight as dusting to an inch Buffalo north. This may very well be correct but 2 things jumped out at me, first was the actual model run itself and how much heavy snow was all over WNY and he actually mentions this, the second thing is in the color coding over Southern Ontario shows what would appear to be significantly more accumulation than right over the river into WNY… now seeing the ICON and the GFS and I’m starting to wonder a bit.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Like 1

Guidance is trending drier for Friday followed by a synoptic system
approaching the region from the Midwest and Ohio Valley for Saturday
morning. Current guidance brings the different synoptic features
across the region in pieces through the weekend. Earlier guidance at
one point was phasing the northern and southern streams for a
stronger system, which most of the current guidance is no longer
doing. Either way, it looks like most of the weekend will have at
least chance or higher POPs with mostly rain for Saturday and cooler
air causing a change over to snow on Sunday, stay tuned.

12 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Bingo. I really believe the NWS is under doing this event

They are going with warm BL temps..They have a low of 36° for buffalo Wed night..Now Nam keeps buffalo at exactly 33° the entire event.. Kuchera showing something like 7-8/1 ratios, so if the precipitation isn't coming down heavy it may have trouble sticking much..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

To far fair the CFS show warm anamolies every month. I showed the euro vs CFS data awhile back and the euro destroys the CFS. 

Yeah, CSF is trash. It’s just starting to feel more like a done deal. The most annoying part is getting your hopes up every couple weeks just to have them dashed. 
What does euro show for the LR? I have a subscription but can’t figure where to find that data. 

6 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Yeah, CSF is trash. It’s just starting to feel more like a done deal. The most annoying part is getting your hopes up every couple weeks just to have them dashed. 
What does euro show for the LR? I have a subscription but can’t figure where to find that data. 

Posted these off the Euro weeklies yesterday. 

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-east-t2m_f_anom_32day-3328000.thumb.png.b8b795ca499934dbb7869c69727e73af.pngecmwf-weeklies-avg-east-t2m_f_anom_46day-4537600.thumb.png.66a4d1309f8efadbae9243b0a14ce14d.png