Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,924
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    R. Venson
    Newest Member
    R. Venson
    Joined

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

Yeah this one is being retired for sure. You gotta admit that "Ida" just seemed like an old fashioned badass name for a hurricane and it lived up to the name.  I wonder what the "I" replacement name is-I hope it is not lame.

*I just looked it up...I hope it was wrong...it said the replacement name is "Izzy". ???

*huh..."I" storms have had the most names retired of any letter.

There are plenty of good 'I' names left, including Ida-Claire, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Ilemonjello....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Witness Protection Program said:

There are plenty of good 'I' names left, including Ida-Claire, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Ilemonjello....


In the last 20 years, we've had

Iris 2001 (Retired, replaced with Ingrid)

Isidore 2002 (Retired, replaced with Ike)

Isabel 2003 (Retired, replaced with Ida)

Ivan 2004 (Retired, replaced with Igor)

Ike 2008 (Retired, replaced with Isaias)

Igor 2010 (Retired, replaced with Ian)

Irene 2011 (Retired, replaced with Irma)

Ingrid 2013 (Retired, replaced with Imelda)

Irma 2017 (Retired, replaced with Idalia)

Ida 2021 (Likely retired)

 

Ten "I" storms retired in 20 years. To be honest, I was a little surprised about "Igor" and "Ingrid" being retired, and Isaac is the only remaining original "I" name from the rotating lists created 40 years ago.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:


In the last 20 years, we've had

Iris 2001 (Retired, replaced with Ingrid)

Isidore 2002 (Retired, replaced with Ike)

Isabel 2003 (Retired, replaced with Ida)

Ivan 2004 (Retired, replaced with Igor)

Ike 2008 (Retired, replaced with Isaias)

Igor 2010 (Retired, replaced with Ian)

Irene 2011 (Retired, replaced with Irma)

Ingrid 2013 (Retired, replaced with Imelda)

Irma 2017 (Retired, replaced with Idalia)

Ida 2021 (Likely retired)

 

Ten "I" storms retired in 20 years. To be honest, I was a little surprised about "Igor" and "Ingrid" being retired, and Isaac is the only remaining original "I" name from the rotating lists created 40 years ago.

 

Igor was pretty bad in Canada and since they don’t ask for much, I think they gave it to them to toss them a bone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

People keep referencing the hurricane deviating from "the path."

It was within the cone of uncertainty, no? Slower than expected. People were given very actionable lead time as far as I can see.

Exactly. It was maybe 20 miles at the most from the forecasted track but well within the cone. People are just making excuses to being caught with their proverbial pants down. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yotaman said:

Exactly. It was maybe 20 miles at the most from the forecasted track but well within the cone. People are just making excuses to being caught with their proverbial pants down. 

There isn't a forecasted track though, in my mind. There's a probabilistic range. That's all they ever talk about. They won't shut up about it. Maybe they shouldn't draw the median line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grace and Ida will be retired. A little more uncertain about Henri though it did have flooding impacts in NYC and parts of New Jersey. Fred might also be considered. It does have a death toll of 6 associated with it in western North Carolina due to some major flooding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Floydbuster said:


In the last 20 years, we've had

Iris 2001 (Retired, replaced with Ingrid)

Isidore 2002 (Retired, replaced with Ike)

Isabel 2003 (Retired, replaced with Ida)

Ivan 2004 (Retired, replaced with Igor)

Ike 2008 (Retired, replaced with Isaias)

Igor 2010 (Retired, replaced with Ian)

Irene 2011 (Retired, replaced with Irma)

Ingrid 2013 (Retired, replaced with Imelda)

Irma 2017 (Retired, replaced with Idalia)

Ida 2021 (Likely retired)

 

Ten "I" storms retired in 20 years. To be honest, I was a little surprised about "Igor" and "Ingrid" being retired, and Isaac is the only remaining original "I" name from the rotating lists created 40 years ago.

 

Issac should've been retired too, the I curse lives on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like things went reasonably well in Louisiana all things considered? I mean we had a legitimate verified on the ground high end category 4 storm make landfall then sit on a swamp for many hours and refuse to weaken. That’s always going to be very, very bad. The transmission tower going down seems like something that shouldn’t happen but who knows. Could have been faulty construction and could have also been the mesovortices that persisted well inland in the eyewall.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I feel like things went reasonably well in Louisiana all things considered? I mean we had a legitimate verified on the ground high end category 4 storm make landfall then sit on a swamp for many hours and refuse to weaken. That’s always going to be very, very bad. The transmission tower going down seems like something that shouldn’t happen but who knows. Could have been faulty construction and could have also been the mesovortices that persisted well inland in the eyewall.

Entire towns are uninhabitable, two probably are now part of the gulf itself and others have severe destruction, but sure all went well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Entire towns are uninhabitable, two probably are now part of the gulf itself and others have severe destruction, but sure all went well. 
It can take several days before the true impacts of the event are understood outside these areas. Same thing happened with Laura, Maria, etc...
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

Entire towns are uninhabitable, two probably are now part of the gulf itself and others have severe destruction, but sure all went well. 

Original post likely targeted at New Orleans proper. Outside of New Orleans, a lot of towns are unrecognizable today. Good fortune was that the storm took about the best path to minimize the amount of population the destructive (and from what I’ve seen destructive undersells those winds) core passed over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Original post likely targeted at New Orleans proper. Outside of New Orleans, a lot of towns are unrecognizable today. Good fortune was that the storm took about the best path to minimize the amount of population the destructive (and from what I’ve seen destructive undersells those winds) core passed over. 

NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Original post likely targeted at New Orleans proper. Outside of New Orleans, a lot of towns are unrecognizable today. Good fortune was that the storm took about the best path to minimize the amount of population the destructive (and from what I’ve seen destructive undersells those winds) core passed over. 
Probably the biggest potential miracle outside of New Orleans proper was Houma. Yes, they got high winds just outside the western eyewall, but the core was originally plotted to track just west of them. That would have put a decent-size urban residential area under high surge. So yes, there does appear to be some breaks here, but unfortunately other areas/communities are uninhabitable and destroyed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
5 minutes ago, canderson said:
NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

And, of course, there's that.

I don’t know why people (not necessarily anyone in particular) are downplaying this aspect. That is huge. Hundreds of thousands in misery. A real humanitarian crisis. 


Plus, how many bridges got hit by barges and now may be structurally unsound? How many industrial facilities are leaking chemicals? When will the water be safe? 
 

Talking about New Orleans being spared because the eyewall winds stayed west just seems so premature. It’s not even the close of business of the day after. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know why people (not necessarily anyone in particular) are downplaying this aspect. That is huge. Hundreds of thousands in misery. A real humanitarian crisis. 

Plus, how many bridges got hit by barges and now may be structurally unsound? How many industrial facilities are leaking chemicals? When will the water be safe? 
 
Talking about New Orleans being spared because the eyewall winds stayed west just seems so premature. It’s not even the close of business of the day after. 
I agree. And let me be clear, when I was referring to New Orleans proper, I was considering direct deaths from drownings, infrastructure collapse, damage, etc., by the hurricane during the event. But yes, clearly there will be an indirect incapacitated aspect for a large populace in the coming weeks that could also lead to casualties and suffering.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, canderson said:

NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

Its actually what should have been expected by anyone there.

The writing was on the wall days before the storm arrived that there was a high likelihood of a catastrophic failure to the power grid.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

I agree. And let me be clear, when I was referring to New Orleans proper, I was considering direct deaths from drownings, infrastructure collapse, damage, etc., by the hurricane during the event. But yes, clearly there will be an indirect incapacitated aspect for a large populace in the coming weeks that could also lead to casualties and suffering.

Indirect deaths are what Maria and Katrina were best at producing. I am not sure “direct” deaths is a meaningful thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter the situation that New Orleans is currently in, you simply cannot argue that it wouldn’t be worse had the storm moved 10 miles to the right.   Yes they got hit hard, but they could have gotten hit harder.  What’s wrong with stating this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter the situation that New Orleans is currently in, you simply cannot argue that it wouldn’t be worse had the storm moved 10 miles to the right.   Yes they got hit hard, but they could have gotten hit harder.  What’s wrong with stating this?

There is nothing wrong with that statement as it is the truth.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sojitodd said:

Yeah this one is being retired for sure. You gotta admit that "Ida" just seemed like an old fashioned badass name for a hurricane and it lived up to the name.  I wonder what the "I" replacement name is-I hope it is not lame.

 

*I just looked it up...I hope it was wrong...it said the replacement name is "Izzy". ???

 

*huh..."I" storms have had the most names retired of any letter.

Yeah we’re starting to get into names no one ever new existed territory with I storms

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tezeta said:

Indirect deaths are what Maria and Katrina were best at producing. I am not sure “direct” deaths is a meaningful thing. 

According to a study i found, 386 deaths were directly attributed to Katrina’s storm surge, in Louisiana specifically. So it would probably be around 400-500 if you include other states… With Maria 1/10th was attributed directly to the hurricane so around 300. I believe that still makes them the worst modern US hurricanes though even without indirect deaths. 
 

edit: Agnes is the only other US storm i found with over 100 direct deaths since 1970

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...