• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had about 2 hours of steady rain, and then another hour or so with light showers/sprinkles. Haven't looked at the station yet for an amount. 

I don't think the rain reached the areas where it's raining now until close to noon. 

I was thinking you guys (Lancaster) started mid morning.  Either way, hopefully you got close to 1/2" or better. 

It was feeling very fall-like late this afternoon on this second day of summer.  Temps in the mid 60's with a breeze felt rather cool after the 93 degree high temp yesterday.

Finally got more than 0.01" of rain with a nice 0.53" earlier today.  Was wonderful watching the rain fall as the temperature kept slowly dropping all the way down to 61 before the rain ended and temps rebounded into the upper 60's.  At 10:30pm it's 54.7 degrees with a dew point of 48.  Should easily see 40's overnight.  Yay!

40 minutes ago, MrFreeze6298 said:

Hello your location is in Dalmatia PA ? because on the station of Dalmatia the temperature went down to 46.8°F

Outside of Dalmatia. I live at in a valley that the elevation of the mountain is 1109 ft my elevation is about 450 ft.with a sizeable creek. So in the winter it gets cold in the summer it gets toasty.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Probably too early to call it, but King CMC might have had it right all along.

The King did gravitate back a bit vs. its extreme flooding scenario at 12Z.    N NJ went from 10" to 1".    Guess it did not want to carry the 0.   CMC looks very 6Z GFS like with the ridge placement and areas which are just outside the ring of dry.   GFS is slightly more East with the ridge. 

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

HIA has two meanings at MDT.  Harrisburg International Airport and Heat Island Affect.  Crazy they are only going to record a low of 54.

image.png.8a2fc28e24db336f32b08288815080a9.png

It really is.  I bottomed out at 48 here at a low spot in Lancaster, which looks to be the same as KLNS and KRDG.  Heck, even Capital City hit 48 for a brief 5-minute interval and spent a good bit of time at 50.  Gotta love that MDT represents our "official" climate to the world.  I know it's been beaten to death but it really is frustrating. 

The other annoying thing with MDT.........take last night for instance, which seemed to be a bit of an inversion night and explains why I dropped to 48 despite some stations right near me but higher up only hitting ~52, and why @mahantango#1 dipped to 42.  Well, MDT would normally be a perfect spot to capture those inversion temps, being so low-lying right off the ridges and all, but it seems to be completely negated by some combo of the damn airport/river presence.  All I know is they always stay warmer than surrounding locations, always.  I digress....

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

The other annoying thing with MDT.........take last night for instance, which seemed to be a bit of an inversion night and explains why I dropped to 48 despite some stations right near me but higher up only hitting ~52, and why @mahantango#1 dipped to 42.  Well, MDT would normally be a perfect spot to capture those inversion temps, being so low-lying right off the ridges and all, but it seems to be completely negated by some combo of the damn airport/river presence.  All I know is they always stay warmer than surrounding locations, always.  I digress....

And its usually mostly the cold temps they are high on.  The other day when Training got to 95, MDT's highest recording was 92.  

28 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It really is.  I bottomed out at 48 here at a low spot in Lancaster, which looks to be the same as KLNS and KRDG.  Heck, even Capital City hit 48 for a brief 5-minute interval and spent a good bit of time at 50.  Gotta love that MDT represents our "official" climate to the world.  I know it's been beaten to death but it really is frustrating. 

Makes comparing records and wondering if "we"  get a record a little less exciting...at least to me.    Makes you wonder when they went from normal recordings to the HIA effect and how cold it really was on those record days post HIA effect. .

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Makes comparing records and wondering if "we" we get a record a little less exciting...at least to me.    Makes you wonder when they went from normal recordings to the HIA effect and how cold it really was on those record days post HIA effect. .

When the NWS had an office in the city of Harrisburg where were the Temps taken then? I think that office closed up about 35 years maybe.

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Well good folks - reading posts over the past week or two about a lot of you getting down into the 40s on some of our cooler nights, not once did i get below 51.

Last night we radiated out like a champ! My low this morning was 48. :)

Welcome to the "Not MDT" club.  3K Nam scored the victory last night.   Sweet, sweet 40's in the middle of the summer.