• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

The GFS and CMC show some crazy stuff sometimes, but I no longer see them as inferior.

Definitely not.  At least not in terms of patterns and big picture stuff.    If the GFS was the ONLY model we would be in trouble with localized rain totals and coverage.  Big trouble!  I like that the Euro tends to slowly change vs. jump like the others but otherwise I see no real advantage on LR stuff.  I know the Euro scores the highest of them all, with the Ukie second, when it comes to front placement on the day of the event but unsure where they score it from re: 3 days out or -5 days out, etc...

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Definitely not.  At least not in terms of patterns and big picture stuff.    If the GFS was the ONLY model we would be in trouble with localized rain totals and coverage.  Big trouble!  I like that the Euro tends to slowly change vs. jump like the others but otherwise I see no real advantage on LR stuff.  I know the Euro scores the highest of them all, with the Ukie second, when it comes to front placement on the day of the event but unsure where they score it from re: 3 days out or -5 days out, etc...

RE: this point, yes it’s weird when the GFS shows a high of 50 on D10 one run and 80 the next, but to me that just goes to show the practical limits we as a human race have on weather forecasting. The uncertainty is part of the fun.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

RE: this point, yes it’s weird when the GFS shows a high of 50 on D10 one run and 80 the next, but to me that just goes to show the practical limits we as a human race have on weather forecasting. The uncertainty is part of the fun.

Great point.  If we were just watching the Euro, the PBP's could be really boring.  The GFS gives up more of a roller coaster affair.  Ha.   90 today at KPIT?  HRRR says its in the bag. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Great point.  If we were just watching the Euro, the PBP's could be really boring.  The GFS gives up more of a roller coaster affair.  Ha.   90 today at KPIT?  HRRR says its in the bag. 

One other point here: is it that far-fetched to believe that there could conceivably come a day hundreds or thousands of years from now when weather forecasting could advance to the point where they could say something like “you’ll get exactly 5.3 inches of snow a week from now and not a tenth more or less” and be completely accurate every time? That would be good news for the general public but would suck a lot of the fun out of this hobby for people like us.

As for KPIT hitting 90 today, I hope it doesn’t, but I kind of have to hope it does so I don’t eat crow back on my home thread.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

One other point here: is it that far-fetched to believe that there could conceivably come a day hundreds or thousands of years from now when weather forecasting could advance to the point where they could say something like “you’ll get exactly 5.3 inches of snow a week from now and not a tenth more or less” and be completely accurate every time? That would be good news for the general public but would suck a lot of the fun out of this hobby for people like us.

As for KPIT hitting 90 today, I hope it doesn’t, but I kind of have to hope it does so I don’t eat crow back on my home thread.

Your theory would also suck for all vacation spots.  Especially on the MA and NE coast where they have a 4-6 month window.  They are going to be full every weekend regardless of weather but if a model could have forecasted the Memorial Day debacle for the beaches, their bookings would have probably been less than ideal.  Maybe they get filled up with introverts and such?  LOL.

I saw your home thread convo.  If KPIT does not get 90 but KTIM does, would that could as victory?  :-)

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Your theory would also suck for all vacation spots.  Especially on the MA and NE coast where they have a 4-6 month window.  They are going to be full every weekend regardless of weather but if a model could have forecasted the Memorial Day debacle for the beaches, their bookings would have probably been less than ideal.  Maybe they get filled up with introverts and such?  LOL.

I saw your home thread convo.  If KPIT does not get 90 but KTIM does, would that could as victory?  :-)

Haven’t invested in my weather station just yet, so I won’t know if my backyard hits 90 today. I realize that there are plenty of people that get irked by getting 89’d but it’s not like there’s some sort of curse that prevents us from getting to 90. But I hate getting 33’d in May or October so I understand the feeling.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Haven’t invested in my weather station just yet, so I won’t know if my backyard hits 90 today. I realize that there are plenty of people that get irked by getting 89’d but it’s not like there’s some sort of curse that prevents us from getting to 90. But I hate getting 33’d in May or October so I understand the feeling.

I don't know about you but for me when its 89 out I feel like its a nice day but once it hits 90 the sweat starts rolling!  :rolleyes::whistle::P

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I don't know about you but for me when its 89 out I feel like its a nice day but once it hits 90 the sweat starts rolling!  :rolleyes::whistle::P

That said, PBZ isn’t buying the HRRR mid-90s hype. They actually adjusted their p&c at the airport DOWN to 88 for both today and tomorrow.

That said, PBZ isn’t buying the HRRR mid-90s hype. They actually adjusted their p&c at the airport DOWN to 88 for both today and tomorrow.

If this was MDT/LSV I would definitely go with the HRRR but with the lack of real weather today, the KPIT temp is the big news and thing to watch.  I hope it makes it.  

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If this was MDT/LSV I would definitely go with the HRRR but with the lack of real weather today, the KPIT temp is the big news and thing to watch.  I hope it makes it.  

The wildcard is cloud cover, and I feel like the HRRR underdoes that sometimes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That hot tag for this thread is literally appropriate today. It's 9:30am and I'm already up to 81 in my backyard, and 84 here in Sunbury where I'm delivering.

We are pulling the whole forum through the summer months.  If Randy sold ads we would be getting kick backs.   If I have a chance this afternoon I am going to Wunderground a bit and expect to see some triple digit readings if cloud cover stays limited. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

3K Nam does not get you there but 3K's temps are almost always a few degrees under reality when I have done spot checks. 

Doing quality control for the models is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

While my WFH role has been fairly steady its not been dramatic recently so I enjoy checking from time to time. I am the group Naminista in the winter months. 

I’m in the same boat, though my WFH job is approaching it’s busiest season now so I won’t have as much time to look at the models soon.

I’m in the same boat, though my WFH job is approaching it’s busiest season now so I won’t have as much time to look at the models soon.

Well then may you have two straight days over 90 so that monkey is off your back.  Ha. When you get busy who is going to be here to grind these runs each time?  LOL 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are pulling the whole forum through the summer months.  If Randy sold ads we would be getting kick backs.   If I have a chance this afternoon I am going to Wunderground a bit and expect to see some triple digit readings if cloud cover stays limited. 

My sig links to my Ambient Weather page, but I'm also on Wunderground, so be sure to check out my station as well.