Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 4

am19psu

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the euro has the .1 line just east of nyc

With a 989mb low just southeast of the benchmark, I'd think NYC gets more than .1" QPF, especially with the trend towards more digging and a sharper trough with higher heights along the East Coast. I believe the QPF field is going to spread out significantly as we approach the event, and I think there is still a decent chance that NYC metro (particularly LI) sees a SECS/MECS from this system. Tonight's runs all showed an impressive trend towards a stronger northern stream and a more negatively tilted trough. I believe it would foolhardy to give up at this point, as we're a solid 3 days away and models tend to have about 100 mile track error at that forecast period. 100 miles west would mean a significant snowstorm for all of NYC metro and possibly into PHL.

Still several more runs, I am not despairing because I think the main reason this phases farther east is the incoming pac jet. I dont know or think that the models can pick up the data to forecast how that ridge will react 72hrs from now as phasing is occuring.

I glean two things from the 00z suite tonite:

1: Models seem to be finally converging on a consensus: a phased storm

2: The timing and location of the phase is still TBD

I am not writing anything off with the amount of energy, and the fact that we are now approaching deep winter, anything, anything can happen.

With a 989mb low just southeast of the benchmark, I'd think NYC gets more than .1" QPF, especially with the trend towards more digging and a sharper trough with higher heights along the East Coast. I believe the QPF field is going to spread out significantly as we approach the event, and I think there is still a decent chance that NYC metro (particularly LI) sees a SECS/MECS from this system. Tonight's runs all showed an impressive trend towards a stronger northern stream and a more negatively tilted trough. I believe it would foolhardy to give up at this point, as we're a solid 3 days away and models tend to have about 100 mile track error at that forecast period. 100 miles west would mean a significant snowstorm for all of NYC metro and possibly into PHL.

If everything stays where it is tomorrow, I feel good calling for 2-4 for NYC.

i really liked the way 48 hrs looked

Yeah, that Day 2 chart actually looked more consolidated/sharp than the GFS had it. This might have room to shift west if the trend continues tomorrow. The Cape apparently gets destroyed with a blizzard, so it can't be that far off from us.

Overall, based on the play by play i'd rank this as a good Euro run. The next run or two will be really telling.

yea i feel 48hrs on the GFS, GGEM and Euro were good agreement but after that they each do there thing... Euro has the sharpest trof @ day 3 with the tighter closed off h5 than gfs. A slight improvement on day 3 h5 of euro and its game for phl - bos imo.

If everything stays where it is tomorrow, I feel good calling for 2-4 for NYC.

Yes, strongly agree; the position of the low pressure and the high ratios argue for at least an advisory event in NYC metro, assuming all stays the same. Eastern Long Island could actually see warning criteria snowfall with a track like this, especially if we see an enlargement of the QPF field.

Yes, strongly agree; the position of the low pressure and the high ratios argue for at least an advisory event in NYC metro, assuming all stays the same. Eastern Long Island could actually see warning criteria snowfall with a track like this, especially if we see an enlargement of the QPF field.

If it were closer to storm time, and I was working at NWS, I would put a watch up for Suffolk, as well as Southern Middlesex, new london in CT.

We need 3 inches at least out of this system to get NYC away from the bad December leads to bad season analogs lol.

In a strong Nina like this, it's almost inevitable that we revert to a Lakes Cutter/SW flow pattern at some point. The second the blocking up north retreats, that's the first thing we'll see. Maybe we can get a few inches from a lucky overrunning setup, but in all likelihood this is the most favorable pattern we have until very late in the season. This definitely won't be anything like the strong Nino last year.

In a strong Nina like this, it's almost inevitable that we revert to a Lakes Cutter/SW flow pattern at some point. The second the blocking up north retreats, that's the first thing we'll see. Maybe we can get a few inches from a lucky overrunning setup, but in all likelihood this is the most favorable pattern we have until very late in the season. This definitely won't be anything like the strong Nino last year.

Yeah, Im hoping we get into a much better pattern later in Feb and March like in 56 when it (hopefully) weakens. Just get this thing over -1 lol.

I think it's a decent likelihood right now that from the William Floyd Parkway east (roughly Shirley to Rocky Point), a warning criteria snow takes place. The twin forks might actually get a really good event from this, like 8 or 10"+. These setups are very fragile though, especially since a heavy band loves to set up on the NW fringe of the cold conveyor belt and easily double or more the expected totals there. Or it could fall apart like the 12/19 event and leave less than expected.

If a model has a seasonal trend, say 2009 euro favored and stronger SW ridge than theGFS NAM and euro prevailed that year, is it possible that the euro is losing its 100hr deadly zone around 72hr only to bring back its former solutions that were at 100hr +? Perhaps not as robust,but some form of a re-correction back, much like last weeks blurp runs that gave us a SECS and MECS then back to nothing at 60hr. Just wondering as the 48hr upper levels of tonights run sounded a bit better that the GFS's yet the result was less stellar. Perhaps EC will make a bigger improvement tomorrow 12Z. Any Mets care to elaborate?

Archived