Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think I have now hit my high for the day at 93, just after 2:30 pm.  Currently 90 and partly cloudy with some puffy cumulus, and dp bopping between 69 and 70.

Hit 95.7°F here, down to 86.5°F now with 50% RH. I do not like this new normal.

Trying to psyche myself up for working outside in 90° weather in full Tyvek this week and am just. not. feeling. it. (I work in environmental remediation. Love the work but hate this kind of weather.) Hopefully we get some boomers this week to break up the monotony of endless bright, hot sun. 

• Weenie 1

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

93F but the DP is down to 60F w/a breeze. Was outside and it still sucks but was expecting it to be more uncomfortable. Inside now w/the A/C so I don't care any longer... 

93.jpg

Read an article today talking about the ideal indoor temperature (thermostat setting) during the summer, saying 78F was good, and maybe up to 80 to 82 at night. Lol. Must live in Arizona. I realize that with some of the moisture taken out of the air, 78 would feel better than 92 and humid outside, but still. I'll confess to having mine set at 72 on days like today.

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Read an article today talking about the ideal indoor temperature (thermostat setting) during the summer, saying 78F was good, and maybe up to 80 to 82 at night. Lol. Must live in Arizona. I realize that with some of the moisture taken out of the air, 78 would feel better than 92 and humid outside, but still. I'll confess to having mine set at 72 on days like today.

Kinda funny you mention this as I was about to post this question earlier today. (If A/C was free I'd probably crank it as low as it goes!) Usually I keep it at 74-75 day and night along with strategically placed fans (wind chill). Sometimes a hour before bed I'll turn it down to 70 (to really cool things off) then back to 74-75 when I actually go to bed. That article is nuts with 80-82 at night, I sleep waaaaayyy better when cool/cold...

78F / DP 67F 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Who needs A/C anyway we lived as a species without it until 60 years ago.

My car didn't have it from 94 to 08 and I didn't miss it.

If someone told me I had to go 2 years without heat or without A/C, I would choose without heat... 

6 hours ago, RedSky said:

I had one of those for a couple years (except it was a late '70s 4-cylinder with AM-only radio and no power-steering). :yikes:  I was always on the lookout for some kind of "car fan" that could plug into the 12-volt cigarette lighter socket. :lol:

My low so far has been 71 this morning. Currently 72, with dp 69 and steamy.

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

Until recently, didn't our species die of old age around 30? ;)

I usually leave my AC at 78F. The thermostat is in the hallway, away for any vent. So although it reads 78F, it's closer to 74F around the house. Plus, I live in a ranch, so not having a second floor bedroom makes sleeping more comfortable. And ceiling fans are a must!

77F/DP 71F

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Try no heat in the car next winter and get back to me...

Myself easily, the only difference is I would need gloves which I never use while driving. The problem would be window ice/defrost.

Try working in the yard all day with 95F+ HHH and your reward is a stuffy 100+ humid house and dinner requires a oven. Later that night try to sleep as sweat rolls down your face and the bed is drenched. The only spot to park is in the sun on a 95F+ HHH day, people are cooking hot dogs on the hood of your car and you must drive home in that vehicle. No A/C in either scenario... 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

81F / DP 72F

My highest DP so far this season.

Friday highs in the low 60s for the burbs... 

I just came back in from transplanting some seedling basils that I couldn't get out earlier due to the too-cool temps Memorial Day weekend, and the soup is on.  Temp 83 with a dp bopping between 74 and 75 here!  :o

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I just came back in from transplanting some seedling basils that I couldn't get out earlier due to the too-cool temps Memorial Day weekend, and the soup is on.  Temp 83 with a dp bopping between 74 and 75 here!  :o

I hope mother nature will treat us to a T-storm sometime today for our suffering...

82F / DP 72F

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I hope mother nature will treat us to a T-storm sometime today for our suffering...

82F / DP 72F

I think there was the possibility of that today.  Probably pop-up/pulse type.  They may get more of the severe north of here too...

ETA - SPC has almost 1/2 of the CONUS painted with a t-storm outlook.

spc-day1otlk_1200-06072021.gif

8 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Damn.  Already 91 here and it's before noon.  Dewpoint is a bopping between a juicy 75 and 76.  I'm afraid to walk outside! :yikes:  Glad I did what I had to do early this morning.

My wife has the week off and she's been planning on putting in some more plants around the house. It was cloudy earlier so away she went. I heard her digging outside my office for a little while, and then I saw the sun come out--two seconds later she noped out and came inside.

But she's determined, now that she's started, so we set up the 10' pup-up canopy for her to dig under. More power to her! (I'd help her, but I'm on light & limited duty today. Thank goodness. :unsure:)

• Weenie 1

Even though there isn't a strong source of lift (frontal, orographic, convergence), the 12z soundings from around the area had a Convective-T of 90F. With SBCAPE and the LI already fairly high, low level lapse rates booming, enough sky clearing, and the LFC/LCL in favorable tandem.... we SHOULD see some afternoon/evening pulse downpours, especially with the PWATs very high. Relying on convective lifting isn't always a best bet around here (would much rather prefer a front), but it's better than nothing! Hoping for some storms later.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Kinda funny you mention this as I was about to post this question earlier today. (If A/C was free I'd probably crank it as low as it goes!) Usually I keep it at 74-75 day and night along with strategically placed fans (wind chill). Sometimes a hour before bed I'll turn it down to 70 (to really cool things off) then back to 74-75 when I actually go to bed. That article is nuts with 80-82 at night, I sleep waaaaayyy better when cool/cold...

78F / DP 67F 

I don't think I set my air above 72 at any point. Usually I'm at 68 or 69. I like it cold in my house :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Even though there isn't a strong source of lift (frontal, orographic, convergence), the 12z soundings from around the area had a Convective-T of 90F. With SBCAPE and the LI already fairly high, low level lapse rates booming, enough sky clearing, and the LFC/LCL in favorable tandem.... we SHOULD see some afternoon/evening pulse downpours, especially with the PWATs very high. Relying on convective lifting isn't always a best bet around here (would much rather prefer a front), but it's better than nothing! Hoping for some storms later.

Tomorrow looks like the more widespread day but if anywhere see's storms today, I think the Lehigh Valley and North is the best bet.

• Like 1