• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

I had like 4hrs of excitement regarding this storm here in Concord.  I'm convinced that this can all shift back to a snowstorm for those it was showing earlier today. Is it normal for everyone to jump ship in a 4hr window of bad runs? They are talking about deleting this storm's main thread already????

12 minutes ago, snowmaker13 said:

NCEP staff should be training in AI as virtually all sectors in IT are incorporating it, or they can outsource the work offshore. There are numerous public and private stakeholders that rely on accurate modeling. Inaccurate modeling is a disadvantage to the consumer. Sorry mods for my banter! 

In a perfect world yes. But you're dealing with an agency that has already been gutted. Plus because these are either run or partnered with governments you can't just get contracts over night etc.. How does NOAA go about using offshore contractors? Can they trust Russian developers? What about Chinese? What about Indian? This is very very complicated even outside of the development and machine learning aspect. 

22 minutes ago, burgertime said:

In a perfect world yes. But you're dealing with an agency that has already been gutted. Plus because these are either run or partnered with governments you can't just get contracts over night etc.. How does NOAA go about using offshore contractors? Can they trust Russian developers? What about Chinese? What about Indian? This is very very complicated even outside of the development and machine learning aspect. 

I know alot of coders in India that know AI and are extremely skilled. Alot of United States companies use foreign labor because other countries are embracing it faster. I'm sure they can move budgets around for contractors or congress would approve it because it would greatly benefit private stakeholders. 

Just now, snowmaker13 said:

I know alot of coders in India that know AI and are extremely skilled. Alot of United States companies use foreign labor because other countries are embracing it faster. I'm sure they can move budgets around for contractors or congress would approve it because it would greatly benefit private stakeholders. 

But do they work on government contracts? By the way as global warming becomes more and more of an issue weather models are going to be more and more important. That should bring budgets but it will also bring a lot of secrecy. The government isn't just going to hire any contractor to work on NSA servers for instance. Also congress has proven over and over again that when it comes to NOAA they will not approve anything unless they are forced to because of some catastrophic event. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

For once I’d like to know what a positive trend inside 48 hours feels like

I was thinking about this earlier.  I believe I've seen every bad trend there is since I started this hobby almost 20 years ago but I don't think I've ever had a positive trend.  This one ranks up there as far as gut punches though...LOL!  

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic