Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

Central PA - Spring 2021

21 minutes ago, paweather said:

There is Bubbler stealing my snow again! G&D&mn.:D

This truly is your snow since you posted GFS panels showing this happening last week.  Trust me, sun angle is not an issue when it is 43 so its not accumulating.  LOL.  its just rain right now.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I'm seeing a number of 3-8" type reports across NY, VT, MA, etc.......looks like the Laurels also got a bit of snow, as the Seven Springs snow cams show a fresh light covering

Per the New England obs thread, a few are now reporting 10"+ and counting. 

Good for them. :)  

• Like 3

I recorded 1.24" Sunday but yes there were some extreme amounts in a very isolated area (see dot on the map below around the Boro).  Couldn't find anything on Weather Underground much above 3" but gauges are kind of sparse down that way.  I definitely believe them, have seen it many times.  Plus the cells sunday night were very small, huge differences over very short distances wouldn't be shocking.  Just wasn't widespread enough to get much coverage, unfortunately. 
24hr_1.png&key=368ae9f9bea731b553c68561b679e5385a0148079e5665fb74ea25c0757f8c61

I forget what site has radar archives but if you look at that night there was slow movement of storms in line at beginning and cells in Lancaster were developing ahead and merging in. Some areas seemed to have storms hitting at multiple directions at once. Once these mergers took place the line seemed to increase speed.

Thanks for finding and posting that! I drove around the "Boro" yesterday (I grew up right outside of Washington Boro) and the evidence is there...still a lot of standing water on 441 between Columbia and WB, mud everywhere, and vegetation flattened. Also confirmed that the highest (6") amounts were centered right on 999 near the Tomato Barn. 
I'm hesitant to post info based on hearsay as I've been burned before, but as I said yesterday, the people who were talking to me know what they're talking about. Nice to have it confirmed! 

Was that same area that had those 10”+ rainfall amounts from storms that hit during the summer of record rain a few years ago?

It’s always interesting whenever you look at return time for events

2 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Was that same area that had those 10”+ rainfall amounts from storms that hit during the summer of record rain a few years ago?

Thinking you may be referring to August of 2018, which was my wettest month ever with 17.79 inches.  I had three separate daily rainfall totals of greater than 4" that month.  On August 31st I got 4.45" but just a couple miles to my north Mount Joy Borough got 8-10" in a 3-4 hour period that resulted in atrocious flash flooding.  It really caught everyone off guard as the storms just stalled out over that area.  I distinctly remember leaving the liquor store in downtown Mount Joy and thinking "oh shit I better get home quick", roads were already starting to flood, just barely got through in the nick of time.  Lots of people stranded that day.  What a summer that was.  July had a crazy event too where like 10" fell over a 4-5 day period and at one point Mount Joy was an island, cut off in nearly all directions due to Chiques Creek flooding.  My wife and I had to get to a Phillies game that day and were supposed to take the train from Mount Joy but couldn't get into town and had to rush to Lancaster train station instead.  Fun times. 

6 hours ago, paweather said:

Calling the 2021 Halloween Snowstorm for you! 

October 2011 was one of my all time  favorites . Super wet parachutes and super anomalous time of year .  About 5.5" here . I'll take another :D

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

October 2011 was one of my all time  favorites . Super wet parachutes and super anomalous time of year .  About 5.5" here . I'll take another :D

Check out the 12z Euro Control run.

How about the chance of of late April snow?!

ED39373C-BBC5-4157-953F-E54EC8622682.png

271DB301-E602-4D5E-A912-F7C18E81CFB3.png

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Nips Baltimore, nice.  

The funny thing about last May's snow showers was at about 2 to 3 days out it was ultra close to the incredible perfect setup that would of given several inches of snow to the M/D line and it trended just a bit north if I remember correctly( ask PSU Hoffman) Especially with that leftover PV lobe that rotated down . As far as April.  1983 was big for the northeast,  1996 , most recently 2014 where Carroll county received 2-6".  2012 was a sw Pa - Western Md crusher.  I chased that one 

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

The funny thing about last May's snow showers was at about 2 to 3 days out it was ultra close to the incredible perfect setup that would of given several inches of snow to the M/D line and it trended just a bit north if I remember correctly( ask PSU Hoffman) Especially with that leftover PV lobe that rotated down . As far as April.  1983 was big for the northeast,  1996 , most recently 2014 where Carroll county received 2-6".  2012 was a sw Pa - Western Md crusher.  I chased that one 

Sounds like a Chattanooga Choo Choo. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

16 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thinking you may be referring to August of 2018, which was my wettest month ever with 17.79 inches.  I had three separate daily rainfall totals of greater than 4" that month.  On August 31st I got 4.45" but just a couple miles to my north Mount Joy Borough got 8-10" in a 3-4 hour period that resulted in atrocious flash flooding.  It really caught everyone off guard as the storms just stalled out over that area.  I distinctly remember leaving the liquor store in downtown Mount Joy and thinking "oh shit I better get home quick", roads were already starting to flood, just barely got through in the nick of time.  Lots of people stranded that day.  What a summer that was.  July had a crazy event too where like 10" fell over a 4-5 day period and at one point Mount Joy was an island, cut off in nearly all directions due to Chiques Creek flooding.  My wife and I had to get to a Phillies game that day and were supposed to take the train from Mount Joy but couldn't get into town and had to rush to Lancaster train station instead.  Fun times. 

I was at Hersheypark that day. There was hours of continuous, distant thunder but it never rained. Around 2:30 our son texted me and said how horrible things were in Mount Joy, where he worked at the time. He screenshot an image of my weather station showing 6.11" at home, but the Mt. Joy- Manheim corridor had between 8-11" of rain. 

@Jns2183 this would be roughly 10-12 miles from Sunday night's event.