Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, snowman21 said:

Who cares though? If people want to wear a mask for the rest of their lives let them. If you don't want to wear a mask then don't. Isn't that what freedom is all about?

Just aggrevates me people can be conditioned to do stupid stuff, that’s all. 
I had a lady cross the street today to avoid me since I didn’t have a mask on. She gave me a shitty look. I could even tell under her mask she thought I had lepersy. :D

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Just aggrevates me people can be conditioned to do stupid stuff, that’s all. 
I had a lady cross the street today to avoid me since I didn’t have a mask on. She gave me a shitty look. I could even tell under her mask she thought I had lepersy. :D

That would happen to me pre Covid

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The amount of shit that the Greatest Generation went through does make the Millennials look pretty weak.

• Born into the Spanish Flu
  • Stock market crash when young
  • Childhood in the Great Depression
  • Drafted into the deadliest war in history
  • Own kids were drafted into Vietnam

They had it pretty rough. Could the average soy latte and avocado toast guy handle that kind of lifetime?

I agree that the greatest generation certainly went through a lot and my generation certainly pales in comparison. 

The good thing though is that Gen X (toughest, most hearty generation of all time) has most of the political power in the country right now and they’re omniscient so I expect all the problems will resolve. 

5 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I agree that the greatest generation certainly went through a lot and my generation certainly pales in comparison. 

The good thing though is that Gen X (toughest, most hearty generation of all time) has most of the political power in the country right now and they’re omniscient so I expect all the problems will resolve. 

Way too jaded and bitter. That's the Meteor 2020 crowd. :) 

• Haha 1

Would it be better to get the vaccine now or wait until August or September? If it's only really good for six months, and the summer isn't an issue as we saw last year, maybe it's better to wait to get it right before you'd expect a surge in cases like we had in the fall heading into the holiday season?

8 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Would it be better to get the vaccine now or wait until August or September? If it's only really good for six months, and the summer isn't an issue as we saw last year, maybe it's better to wait to get it right before you'd expect a surge in cases like we had in the fall heading into the holiday season?

Who said it was only good for 6 months?

2 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Well there is some question about how long it will be effective until a booster is required.

What was actually said was that so far, of the 6 months of real world data we have, that immunity was still measured.  I’m not blaming you for misunderstanding. The media has been AWFUL with messaging.

Some how this got misconstrued as the vaccine only lasts 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The amount of shit that the Greatest Generation went through does make the Millennials look pretty weak.

They had it pretty rough. Could the average soy latte and avocado toast guy handle that kind of lifetime?

15 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Good evening, Phineas & bch. I see the generations as ‘pendulum ’ evolution. It swings side to side left/right, right/left. It seems that no matter the amount of times it swings back it doesn’t end up in exactly the same place, for me that’s progress. As always ...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

What was actually said was that so far, of the 6 months of real world data we have, that immunity was still measured.  I’m not blaming you for misunderstanding. The media has been AWFUL with messaging.

Some how this got misconstrued as the vaccine only lasts 6 months.

I should have phrased that better as I understand the vaccine to start declining in effectiveness at the six month mark or there about. So if that's true that there will be a decline at some point, I'd rather just get the max protection when I would need it most which is next fall/winter and not in the summer when we're all outside where transmission is very low. Last summer we had positive test rates well below 1% and as low as 0.2%, so I'm expecting a repeat of that meaning no point in wasting a few months of vaccine maximum effectiveness when the risk is low. Kind of like there's no point in getting the flu shot this time of year.

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I just read where Newsome in California is opening everything up in mid June. Even indoor mask mandates are going. 
A recall petition does wonders.

I may have to revise my 2022 unmasking schedule. Once a few states do it, they’ll fall like dominoes.

Massachusetts will be last, you can take that to the bank.

Baker will not budge on August first, even if he says he would reconsider with better data.

13 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

I should have phrased that better as I understand the vaccine to start declining in effectiveness at the six month mark or there about. So if that's true 

Again, that’s not been said. No one knows. What’s been said is that at the 6 month mark, there is still evidence of immunity. No mention of a decrease. 
I’m not sure how much clearer I can be. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Massachusetts will be last, you can take that to the bank.

Baker will not budge on August first, even if he says he would reconsider with better data.

I dunno. New Hampshire dropped their indoor mask requirement, looks like CT is going in that direction. Businesses and people will start to raise hell.

45 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It was so much better under Carter. Lol

But I suspect you weren’t born yet.

Reagan wasn’t  perfect, but the late 70’s were a hot mess economically.  Between ditching the gold standard, interest being 15% and inflation through the roof, there wasn’t much choice. And I’m afraid we will see inflation return just like the 70’s, only on a worse scale. Normally to curb inflation you raise interest rates. But that’s not a viable option at this point. We have 30 trillion dollars of debt to service. You can’t do that with a 5% plus prime rate.

the working class did very well from the 1940s through 1960s.  very progressive tax rates, strong unions, anti-trust policy that was actually enforced against big businesses that become too large, and strong financial regulation was part of the new deal policies that were very good for workers.  stagflation in the 1970s was the 'crisis' (never allow a crisis go to waste, i suppose) exploited by the reaganites to unravel all of that.  i understand why those policies seemed like a good idea at the time, but 40 years of these policies have basically created a second gilded age, where we're governed by an oligarchy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Are you saying that your mortgage is 2200/month in Southie (confused if you have people renting from you)? If so, you must’ve put a lot of money down... Most restaurants aren’t hiring Southie triple deckers owners. 

We have been in a rented condo in ashmont for a year or two. Happy and content. The southie house is paid off. We rent in ashmont. Both of our careers involve potential travel, so we decided to wait another year before buying. Not sure where our sweet spot will be. Since we're happy, we just stayed where we are. 

1 minute ago, fujiwara79 said:

the working class did very well from the 1940s through 1960s.  very progressive tax rates, strong unions, anti-trust policy that was actually enforced against big businesses that become too large, and strong financial regulation was part of the new deal policies that were very good for workers.  stagflation in the 1970s was the 'crisis' (never allow a crisis go to waste, i suppose) exploited by the reaganites to unravel all of that.  i understand why those policies seemed like a good idea at the time, but 40 years of these policies have basically created a second gilded age, where we're governed by an oligarchy.

The 40’s through the 60’s working class did well because of the end of WWII and the economic boom of people coming home and building modern society we know today. That was in spite of taxes. And for the record, nobody paid those high rates, and I mean nobody. There were so many deductions the actual tax rate was nowhere near 70%. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

How do you do this every day? 

We get it, you walked 10 miles uphill in the snow both ways 

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

The toxic masculinity  

Really? Come on dude. That kind of stuff is why some people don’t take millennials seriously. Toxic masculinity. Lol Thats just made up BS. TM is just a plain old a-hole. 
You ever think he does it just to get under your skin? And you fall for it every time. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The 40’s through the 60’s working class did well because of the end of WWII and the economic boom of people coming home and building modern society we know today. That was in spite of taxes. And for the record, nobody paid those high rates, and I mean nobody. There were so many deductions the actual tax rate was nowhere near 70%. 

Back then you could deduct things like country club memberships and luxury items. Rich people had pretty similar effective tax rates as today because of that. The only exception is like the extreme super rich...we’re talking like top 0.01 to 0.10%...billionaires with the stock options. They could do something about that for sure...but it would not generate much extra tax income simply because there just aren’t enough of them. It would be a fraction of a drop in the bucket. It doesn’t mean that’s a reason to not do it though. 

There were some good things going on in middle 20th century policy-wise (we actually still enforced antitrust still back then), but the United States was also uniquely lucky. The rest of the developed world had temporarily been bombed back to the Stone Age in WWII so it was basically the Americans providing goods to the rest of the world for a solid decade or two with little competition from overseas. Once competition started to stiffen, we couldn’t keep paying Bethlehem steel workers the same raises every few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Have you considered that the 1940s through 1960s were a very unique time where the US was literally rebuilding Europe and Asia?

11 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

The toxic masculinity and anger seeping out of every phineas post is alarming honestly. Just demented. 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I hope every post of mine you read motivates you to get in shape, get some skills, and move up. Beat me at my own game. Grind me into dust and laugh at me.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Back then you could deduct things like country club memberships and luxury items. Rich people had pretty similar effective tax rates as today because of that. The only exception is like the extreme super rich...we’re talking like top 0.01 to 0.10%...billionaires with the stock options. They could do something about that for sure...but it would not generate much extra tax income simply because there just aren’t enough of them. It would be a fraction of a drop in the bucket. It doesn’t mean that’s a reason to not do it though. 

There were some good things going on in middle 20th century policy-wise (we actually still enforced antitrust still back then), but the United States was also uniquely lucky. The rest of the developed world had temporarily been bombed back to the Stone Age in WWII so it was basically the Americans providing goods to the rest of the world for a solid decade or two with little competition from overseas. Once competition started to stiffen, we couldn’t keep paying Bethlehem steel workers the same raises every few years. 

Exactly. All that. 100%

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Really? Come on dude. That kind of stuff is why some people don’t take millennials seriously. Toxic masculinity. Lol Thats just made up BS. TM is just a plain old a-hole. 
You ever think he does it just to get under your skin? And you fall for it every time. 

The generational hatred in here is sad

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

The generational hatred in here is sad

Generation has nothing to do with it.  Ideas and statements do.  Taking responsibility for one's own views and statements, rather than attributing critique to a false generalization, is liberating and highly beneficial to learning.

• Haha 1