Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

On 5/18/2023 at 7:00 PM, Birds~69 said:

Neighbor worked for Jerrold when I was growing up (early 80s) and game us some "perks".

And yes he had a antenna like that for HBO but Holy Moses! It wasn't that big! That's NASA stuff right there... 

I think the "bootleg" HBO dish was a little butterfly looking thing that was mounted on a mast on the roof of a house.  There was also a descrambler box that came with the service.  Alternately, that gigantic dish in the yard was part of actual satellite service and even had a remote that triggered a motor in the base so it could move around to better tune a channel in. :lol:

On 5/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, RedSky said:

1989 wow damn you missed the cable 80's 

Yeah... had to live vicariously through some coworkers who lived outside of the city with cable and who would tape programs from HBO that I would borrow. :lol:  I think one of them was "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow" (1981) about Nostradamus and that originally ran on HBO (I had bought my first VCR in 1986).

59 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think the "bootleg" HBO dish was a little butterfly looking thing that was mounted on a mast on the roof of a house.  There was also a descrambler box that came with the service.  Alternately, that gigantic dish in the yard was part of actual satellite service and even had a remote that triggered a motor in the base so it could move around to better tune a channel in. :lol:

I bought one in the 1990s to watch Tyson/PPV/pay channels...super shady outfit, think it was $400. It came in a Ham box (Hatfield?) to not give away the illegal stuff they were sending. Funny times...

On 5/19/2023 at 11:41 PM, Birds~69 said:

I bought one in the 1990s to watch Tyson/PPV/pay channels...super shady outfit, think it was $400. It came in a Ham box (Hatfield?) to not give away the illegal stuff they were sending. Funny times...

I had a descrambler box. Paid $300 for it. Figured thats about 6-7 PPV's and it was paid off.  Had two "Filters" to get Showtime, and Cinimax.  Once everything went digital about 2002 that was all she wrote for that stuff. 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:41 PM, Birds~69 said:

My family bought a satellite dish in the late 80's and it was amazing. Live sporting events without commercials....in between innings Harry Kalas would sing and the cameramen would focus their cameras on girls in the crowd. Live "wild feeds" of all the news networks - fun times!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey kamu check this out

Smithbridge Road CLOSED with DETOUR due to bridge outage.

The PennDOT District 6 Bridge Unit has requested the closure of Smithbridge Road (SR 3046) over Webb Creek in Concord Township due to recent bridge inspection findings. The findings indicate that there is advanced superstructure and substructure deterioration that warrants immediate closure.

Smithbridge Road is closed with detour west of Fox Hill Farms, between Arbor Circle and Palmer Drive. PennDOT will be posting detour signs to assist with travel through the area.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yes, thanks for asking. The A/C company told us to turn it off at the breaker for ten minutes if this happened again, as a stop-gap until they could come out again. Thankfully it worked this time, but they'll be out here first thing in the morning (again).

This is basic, but have you checked/changed your air filter?

I'm also curious, last time you said that they removed an obstruction... is that like they opened a damper (lol), or what was the actual obstruction?

Stating the obvious, but you shouldn't be having so many issues with your system. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Moved to South Lake Tahoe in July, but I just scored the ever-living crap out of the swell from Hurricane Hilary in Malibu on my boogie board.  Figured I'd share it with you all.  Over 6 inches of rain in 10 hours, 50mph+ wind blowing offshore, and consistent swell running down one of California's most famous point breaks.  Known for its crowd, by 6pm there was nobody in the water due to the storm, and me and one other guy traded perfect waves until nightfall.  It was a total once in a lifetime experience.  Swell was 5-6ft @ 12-16seconds from the SE at 165-155 degrees, about as steep of an east swell angle from Baja as you can get in SoCal, which made this normally mushy point break hollow and fast.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 3:58 PM, ChasingFlakes said:

Moved to South Lake Tahoe in July, but I just scored the ever-living crap out of the swell from Hurricane Hilary in Malibu on my boogie board.  Figured I'd share it with you all.  Over 6 inches of rain in 10 hours, 50mph+ wind blowing offshore, and consistent swell running down one of California's most famous point breaks.  Known for its crowd, by 6pm there was nobody in the water due to the storm, and me and one other guy traded perfect waves until nightfall.  It was a total once in a lifetime experience.  Swell was 5-6ft @ 12-16seconds from the SE at 165-155 degrees, about as steep of an east swell angle from Baja as you can get in SoCal, which made this normally mushy point break hollow and fast.

Gonna  have to chance your account name to "ChasingWaves". :lol::P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last call for two snowfall contests (deadlines for both are end of Sunday 10th)

(1) On our site, in general interest forum, you can enter a nine-location snowfall contest in the Dec 2023 contest thread.

(2) At link below, you can enter 25th annual northeast US snowfall contest for 25 locations in the eastern US, as well as storm forecast contests announced on site when available...

http://newxsfc.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Last evening in a moment of weakness I hit a fast food drive thru. The guy at the window asked if I would like to include a tip!

wtf??? Is this something new?

That is just as bad as calling to order takeout, drive over and walk in to pick it up and they expect a tip. For what? Doing your job?

Here’s another tip…get an education so you don’t have to work in fast food all your life!!

It was BK. I gave the guy $2. Why? Cause if I don’t, he’ll spit in my food or wipe his a$$ with my burger!!

And why does every counter have a tip jar now? Why can’t I buy something and not make it back to my car before I get a text or email asking me to compete a survey about my purchase or my “experience”?

Yeah, “I walked into a cvs to buy toothpaste and it was an erotic experience”. :wub:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Here’s another tip…get an education so you don’t have to work in fast food all your life!!

It was BK. I gave the guy $2. Why? Cause if I don’t, he’ll spit in my food or wipe his a$$ with my burger!!

And why does every counter have a tip jar now? Why can’t I buy something and not make it back to my car before I get a text or email asking me to compete a survey about my purchase or my “experience”?

Yeah, “I walked into a cvs to buy toothpaste and it was an erotic experience”. :wub:

The corporations encourage their employees to do cash jar tipping... tax benefits (albeit illegal ones) for all involved. If there's enough tips on average then the corporation can pay server rate and the employee likely doesn't report the cash tip income on their tax return and the business doesn't pay payroll tax either. Its kind of like reverse-inverse-free-money. 

• Weenie 1