• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Bowl Sunday Snow Show

Stovepipe

At 0z the snow axis went from SW NC to roughly Va Beach.  At 12z it goes from the Plateau to Boston and is a legit winter storm for the NE with accumulations of 1' in the big cities.  So the trend is a more expansive system and moving the snow axis NW due to further backing of the system.  I have no idea what the end game is on this, but I don't think the RGEM has caught up.

2 minutes ago, BNAwx said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this system ticks further west still.

Ninja.  Was just typing this.  Man, modeling is really backing west at 12z.  The GFS is much closer to the coast in the NE which tells me this isn't done trending here.  The western extent of the snow shield is expanding west on most modeling.  

Ninja.  Was just typing this.  Man, modeling is really backing west at 12z.  The GFS is much closer to the coast in the NE which tells me this isn't done trending here.  The western extent of the snow shield is expanding west on most modeling.  

So is the precip shield expanding west or is the system trending west?

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

So is the precip shield expanding west or is the system trending west?

The storm itself has a more northerly(vs east) component to it than it has had during the previous two runs on most modeling.  In my book, a storm which is backing(and on the coast) is a good thing.  Obviously we don't want it backing if it was in the Piedmont.  Someone had suggested downscoping might be a factor, and that might be what we are seeing in the Central Valley.  Not sure.   A really consolidated storm like the NAM is what we need.  These sort of strung out solutions where the phases is late or partial don't cut it.  I think the trend is for a strengthening storm.  Again, very little runway left as this begins tomorrow.  Pretty big move west.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I don’t like that for the valley. What do you think?

I think we want a more consolidated system and better phase.  Not sure if that happens, but that would overcome the downslope IMO.  TYS and TRI really need the slp tracking more west of where it is.  I don't think the backing will hurt us, but having a strung out system which is in two parts will cause all sorts of problems not the least of which is getting dry slotted.

2 minutes ago, Coach B said:

I don't know how to describe that trailing energy, but it seems some of the models are keying on it for any hope of accums west of the Plateau. 

I never like to have to bank on the trailing energy, or at least its been my experience that it more often than not over modeled.

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

There may be 1" of liquid equivalent falling in the form of ice, sleet and snow in west TN.  Also working into middle TN as well...

Remember the good days years ago when snow in middle and west tn usually meant good things for east tn..  Rarely seems to happen that way anymore.

13 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z CMC is going to be a good test.  It has a very sharp snow axis gradient on its westward side.  If it shifts, we should easily be able to see it.

Is Crossville/Monterey still looking de ent for this system? Seems like the models show good accums for us but at the same time it looked like we were on the far western edge earlier

14 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Is Crossville/Monterey still looking de ent for this system? Seems like the models show good accums for us but at the same time it looked like we were on the far western edge earlier

The trend at 12z is a big move northwest with the snow axis.  The CMC has now placed the northern Plateau in the game.  If the CMC is correct, would think Monterey and Crossville would be in the game now.  It is crazy how far west this has come since 0z.  I just don't think modeling has caught up so I am not sure where this ends up....

• Like 1