Brian D

Feb 10th-11th Potent front/system

39 minutes ago, Baum said:

Harder here than anything I saw monday evening. February sun angle no issue.

Likely doing well there due to ORD being to your NE. Constant aircraft effect snow. 

Don’t think we are seeding this down here yet. Aircraft soundings out of MDW show a deep layer of very dry air above the LES. But, you can see how things perked up on MKX radar once that got some help from above. Best guess on that for IL counties is late eve. 

• Thanks 1

I’m mobile and it’s hard to tell but do I see smoke stack plumes from the Gary plants and maybe another plume from something in north central lake county IND?

• Like 1

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL   438 PM CST THU FEB 11 2021       UPDATE     436 PM CST     RECENTLY SENT OUT A TARGETED WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR DUPAGE,   CENTRAL AND NORTHERN COOK, AND LAKE (IL) COUNTIES. PERSISTENT   DOMINANT LAKE EFFECT BAND CONTINUES TO CHURN, AND WITH THE GRAND   RAPIDS RADAR SAMPLING RETURNS TO NEAR 6 KFT ALIGNED FROM NEAR   LUDINGTON INTO THE NORTHEAST ILLINOIS SHORE SHOULD ALLOW BURSTS   OF MODERATE TO AT TIMES HEAVY SNOW TO CONTINUE, AT LEAST FOR A FEW   MORE HOURS BEFORE THINGS SHIFT NORTHWESTWARD WITH TIME. A RECENT   SNOW REPORT FROM THE EVANSTON AREA INDICATING RATES WERE POSSIBLY   APPROACHING AN INCH PER HOUR ALIGNS WELL WITH RADAR RETURNS AND   LIKELY FAIRLY HIGH RATIO SNOW. EXPECTING TRAVEL IMPACTS WITH THIS   ACTIVITY SETTING UP SHOP THROUGH THE EVENING RUSH (PLUS A LITTLE   WIND: SEEING SOME OCCASIONAL 20-25 MPH GUSTS). WE'LL THEN TURN OUR   ATTENTION TO THE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT WAVE WHICH SHOULD SPREAD   ADDITIONAL SNOW ACROSS THE AREA (MAINLY NORTH OF I-80) THIS   EVENING.     CARLAW  

Anyone seen any snow reports from northern Cook north of Evanston? Based on this afternoon's radar and the update above I'd guess 3"-4".

Lake plume is finally beginning to shift north into Lake County. Let's see how transient it is. Yesterday's 3K NAM had a good read on the movement of the plume today.

13 minutes ago, Baum said:

guessing 3" down here on coldest surfaces or existing snowcover. Lighter snows still falling. 

Congrats! Still not a flake all day here in SW Lake County. Hopefully that changes tonight. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Congrats! Still not a flake all day here in SW Lake County. Hopefully that changes tonight. 

We're in the same boat. So sick of everyone else getting snow. lol My snow envy knows no bounds and these boards don't help. 

Some of that lake effect snow has made it as far west as here.  If you look at the DVN radar you can see some light returns move in from the east-northeast.  Right now it's a mix of lake effect and synoptic snow here.  Doesn't happen very often but occasionally we can some sloppy seconds this far west from LM.

Managed to accumulate about 3in here in Racine near the lake and it’s still coming down moderately. A nice little surprise with no advisory and the AFDs were only calling for 1-2in. Love this fluffy stuff.

(Ignore the Rick & Morty audio in the background lol)

tHw213S.jpg

lqcblF7.jpg

• Like 4

No reports from the area that probably received the most in IL, but the Racine area did ok due to the combo of lake effect and broader light snow. Ultimately, it looks like the dry air plaguing us later today was also responsible for the lower totals in NE IL. 

1820308769_ScreenShot2021-02-12at10_28_28AM.thumb.png.92039538cdf53a1c0d29e073c25cdfb1.png

• Thanks 1