Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There's a video that went viral on Youtube - this was out your way (Greencastle) of a large family that for whatever reason was playing on railroad tracks. Next thing you know, freight train comes along and the family scatters everywhere. Couple of them JUST missed being run over. This happened in the past couple of years from what I remember. Scary too. Not sure why they decided to have a family reunion on active freight rails. 

Seems to happen more often than one would think it would.  People thinking the train is going slower than it is I guess. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

A Norfolk Southern train derailed in Perry County yesterday and has closed the track for at least a day - Amtrak's runs to PIttsburgh had to be cancelled. Amtrak sharing track with freight trains is the absolutely dumbest thing on the face of this planet. 

Agree, as a long-time user of the Auto Train between VA and FL, we've encountered a lot of delays over the years waiting on freight traffic to move through. Amtrak is too bare-boned to have the resources to move to their own rails. 

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

A Norfolk Southern train derailed in Perry County yesterday and has closed the track for at least a day - Amtrak's runs to PIttsburgh had to be cancelled. Amtrak sharing track with freight trains is the absolutely dumbest thing on the face of this planet. 

Used Amtrak a lot during my travel times, can't wait to get back to that, only going to the west I believe they share anything east they don't. 

24 minutes ago, canderson said:

Most of the things Amtrak does would qualify amongst the dumbest things on the planet.  I would know, rode them every day for 14 years pre-covid.  I'll likely get back to doing so again if I ever get brought back for in-person work.  What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

19 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just going to need some help with surface temps.  Will be in the teens and low 20's Friday AM so that is a little helpful is keeping ground temps down a bit. 

yeah the phrase white rain comes to mind, but snow is snow....and none of it ugly. 

If we finish this week w/ bookend snows, thats a win IMO...no matter the current state of ones backyard.  

20 minutes ago, paweather said:

Yep we will be having that issue now and into March. 

We always do.  Couple that w/ the incoming sun angle chatter, and that's when I start chattering about a cave that I have been known to dwell in. 

It's all part of how we roll late season.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

wow youre in the hot seat......

17501 akron 41

17543 litltz 41

17022 etown 45

all per NWS  https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.1509&lon=-76.601#.YDaAx1VKhaQ

Interesting - I have new Davis Vue that seems to be exceptionally accurate. After I posted my obs, I saw that MU was also 53. Not sure why all of those places you listed were so much cooler. Anywho, 55.2 here now. 

Edit: It's 55 at MDT as of their latest obs. We are right with each other...

Edit #2: It's actually 53 at HIA...my mistake. That was 45 minutes ago.

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting - I have new Davis Vue that seems to be exceptionally accurate. After I posted my obs, I saw that MU was also 53. Not sure why all of those places you listed were so much cooler. Anywho, 55.2 here now. 

Edit: It's 55 at MDT as of their latest obs. We are right with each other...

Edit #2: It's actually 53 at HIA...my mistake. That was 45 minutes ago.

I don’t care if it hits 70 as long as I see snowpack. As of 1/2 hr ago Etown has plenty left to snowmobile tonight.  (and I saw fresh tracks from this morning). All I care about.  
I wanna go tonight at home and wife just asked me out on a date. Ughhh. Running outta time. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

I don’t care if it hits 70 as long as I see snowpack. As of 1/2 hr ago Etown has plenty left to snowmobile tonight.  (and I saw fresh tracks from this morning). All I care about.  
I wanna go tonight at home and wife just asked me out on a date. Ughhh. Running outta time. 

I understand that - I responded because it seemed like you were doubting my obs. 

My wife and I just returned from a 3 mile walk in the snow - had a great time. Walking in t shirts on a beautiful day. 

17 minutes ago, paweather said:

Probably grasping for straws here but:

There is cold air near by Tuesday so need the high to be displaced a bit farther West as the parent low of the one you posted has an easy path North East.  It will gain latitude too quickly with the low being that far East.  Better placed high and we have a Snow Storm sweeping in. 

• Like 1