• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

CTP included these thoughts this morning for the Friday night light snow chance.

“Seems like most of the QPF Fri night into Sat will be later Fri night and early Sat. Have kept PoPs in the 70s for the time being as QPF looks light. Temps should be holding steady or rising a little through the night. So, while the precip may be snow at first, it should turn to rain for at least the srn half to 2/3rds of the area. Temps start out marginal/near freezing and SLRs run below 10:1. Accums may be an inch or so over a good portion of the area, but it may be mush by the time the sun rises on Sat.”

Mid-Atlantic LR thread has turned sour now that the pattern has flipped abruptly - @losetoa6 you're always welcome to keep posting here in our thread. Besides, it'd be nice to have another big Orioles fan in here. :) Trust me, no one in here is going to get surly and tell you to stop talking about winter. We have a few "warminstas" but they're still nice people. 

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Mid-Atlantic LR thread has turned sour now that the pattern has flipped abruptly - @losetoa6 you're always welcome to keep posting here in our thread. Besides, it'd be nice to have another big Orioles fan in here. :) Trust me, no one in here is going to get surly and tell you to stop talking about winter. We have a few "warminstas" but they're still nice people. 

I try to be... :D

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

I try to be... :D

You keep posting about your preference. This is a weather forum, which includes hot, warm, cool, cold, rain, snow, ice, mist, fog, etc. No one should manipulate what others should talk about. I like cold a lot more than you do, you like heat a lot more than I do. Guess what? I respect the heck out of you as a person, regardless. 

• Like 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

You keep posting about your preference. This is a weather forum, which includes hot, warm, cool, cold, rain, snow, ice, mist, fog, etc. No one should manipulate what others should talk about. I like cold a lot more than you do, you like heat a lot more than I do. Guess what? I respect the heck out of you as a person, regardless. 

That's the difference right there.   So many of the warminista's in the MA are sarcastic to a fault and their replies are insulting to the author of the post. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That's the difference right there.   So many of the warminista's in the MA are sarcastic to a fault and their replies are insulting to the author of the post. 

I mean...it is a long range thread that isn't inclusive to winter; however, the long range thread is typically a monthly winter thread plus there is already a spring thread for discussing I don't know...spring? Warmth?

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I mean...it is a long range thread that isn't inclusive to winter; however, the long range thread is typically a monthly winter thread plus there is already a spring thread for discussing I don't know...spring? Warmth?

And there is no need to be hurtfully sarcastic in replies. Especially a mod.  Like you said, the LR thread is for weather discussion of all kinds.   The assertion of "reading the room" seems ridiculous to me and why I have been mocking its use.  If someone wants to a comment about hoping snow melts soon, during an active winter storm, have it.  As long as its not directed at other posters or meant to mock other posters. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

As I do you as well...and the others too. I can't think of a better group to talk weather with than all of you. I may not always like what's being depicted or forecasted, but I do know what to (kind of) expect (model mayhem). In my line of work, that's important.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And there is no need to be hurtfully sarcastic in replies. Especially a mod.  Like you said, the LR thread is for weather discussion of all kinds.   The assertion of "reading the room" seems ridiculous to me and why I have been mocking its use.  If someone wants to a comment about hoping snow melts soon, during an active winter storm, have it.  As long as its not directed at other posters or meant to mock other posters. 

It's hard to read (I guess I could stop) some of the ongoing comments right now and not speak up. Just some downright ugly responses. I'll leave it at that.

Snow tomorrow night would be the ultimate "stats-padder." Whatever we get will be long gone in a few hours on Saturday.

I'll take anything we get. :)  

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

As I do you as well...and the others too. I can't think of a better group to talk weather with than all of you. I may not always like what's being depicted or forecasted, but I do know what to (kind of) expect (model mayhem). In my line of work, that's important.

I actually feel bad for you (knowing you are driving) when I may gleefully post about snow.  I hate to insult anyone though I know I do it anyways unintentionally. But at the same time I know that you know Pro Snow posts are not directed at you so all good at the end of the day :-). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I actually feel bad for you (knowing you are driving) when I may gleefully post about snow.  I hate to insult anyone though I know I do it anyways unintentionally. But at the same time I know that you know Pro Snow posts are not directed at you so all good at the end of the day :-). 

I do know they're not directed at me, you guys love snow and want as much as possible. Truth is, while I do prefer warmth to cold, but I also enjoy tracking the storm threats. If they come when I'm off work, I don't mind them so much.

As for the snow itself. My preference is to have a big storm (12"+) once a month from Nov/Dec to Feb/Mar, and then melt off in between the events.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's hard to read (I guess I could stop) some of the ongoing comments right now and not speak up. Just some downright ugly responses. I'll leave it at that.

Snow tomorrow night would be the ultimate "stats-padder." Whatever we get will be long gone in a few hours on Saturday.

I'll take anything we get. :)

Yea, I especially want to chip in when  a mod is acting out.  Its like a police officer mocking people on the street.  

I truly thinks its going to snow for many tomorrow night though I am not thinking plow truck drivers make much off it.  LOL. 

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I especially want to chip in when  a mod is acting out.  Its like a police officer mocking people on the street.  

I truly thinks its going to snow for many tomorrow night though I am not thinking plow truck drivers make much off it.  LOL. 

Definitely looks like spring snow in February! 

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

The worst, and I mean worst thing about the mid-Atlantic forum is the preferential treatment.  There's a ton of double standards for how you can post, what you can post, and what is banter.  If any of us post anything, it will be policed heavily.  When the regulars post something, mods look the other way.

Mods say "no banter" immediately followed by multiple banter posts from the same people. And don't you dare point that out...

It's not easy I'm sure, there's no glory in being a mod, no incentivized reason to be one...but for crying out loud, be nice and treat others fairly. 

12 minutes ago, anotherman said:

The worst, and I mean worst thing about the mid-Atlantic forum is the preferential treatment.  There's a ton of double standards for how you can post, what you can post, and what is banter.  If any of us post anything, it will be policed heavily.  When the regulars post something, mods look the other way.

I've only recently started posting and have never done so in the MA forum but as a longtime lurker I completely agree with this sentiment.  It's a sh$t show over there far too often for my liking.  Don't get me wrong, there are some extremely knowledgeable posters and some great humor as well, but you're right in how wildly inconsistently the rules are applied and who is allowed to get away with what.  That's why I just stay over here in this little central PA hamlet tehe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anotherman said:

A very strong case can be made for the boards being more interesting without mod's but a strong case can be made for the need for mod's as well.  Someone who is a moderator needs to have an even keeled personality and thick skin.  If you subscribe to the Internet Tough Guy magazine then moderating is probably not for you.

9 minutes ago, paweather said:

Canadian is sliding 2 coastal lows out to sea for us next week. We need the north trend and some northeast H's on future runs. LOL. 

It's not a good look but who knows? As long as there are still shortwaves traversing near/close to us, we follow. 

It's getting to be the time of year when we'll start needing things to align better, however.