Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

On 3/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, TimB84 said:

Not every year the Big Ten has four legitimate national title contenders.

Edit: Three. Didn’t realize Ohio State went into a tailspin down the stretch, though that pleases me.

This aged well, though I’ll admit I questioned it after the Big Ten tourney.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:58 AM, Itstrainingtime said:

Me too! My point was, those aren't the types of days that typically generate a passion for weather...it's typically a large snowstorm or some other significant weather event.

Other than my week on Hatteras Island I could care less if we ever saw 70 degrees all year. :)

The Blizzard of 93 started my passion for the weather back when I was in High School.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

Paul Knight - honestly, my favorite met ever. I remember on Wednesday, January 3rd 1996 that there was talk about a large, powerful snowstorm that was going to affect the southern mid Atlantic region over the upcoming weekend. I know that all of my local forecasts were for a dry, very cold weekend at that point. On that evening's Weather World, Paul said that he felt confident that this large storm would bring heavy snows to at least the southern portions of PA. I have no idea what models were depicting, I just know that every forecast was for the storm to miss south of our area. Except Paul's forecast. He was the first to sound the alarm...and he was remarkably calm and confident that it was going to happen...

5 days later, I started the task of shoveling out from under 30.5" of Paul's heavy snow he forecasted. He was, and is, the most accurate, non-hype forecaster I've seen and/or heard in PA. That was probably his most memorable "win." 

Weather World was a must watch for me every day! Before the Internet, they were one of the best sources for PA weather. Paul was great, along with several other meteorologists that were on the air throughout the years. Many of them also worked at Accuweather, so when the Internet came about, it was great to connect with them again with their blogs & articles.

My trusty weather radio also was a must listen a few times per day. I loved setting it to the Alert function when I was expecting a Winter Storm Watch or Warning to be issued.

The local TV weather was also a main source of information. I used to drive my parents crazy by flipping around the channels to try to catch all 3 different TV weather forecasts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Weather World was a must watch for me every day! Before the Internet, they were one of the best sources for PA weather. Paul was great, along with several other meteorologists that were on the air throughout the years. Many of them also worked at Accuweather, so when the Internet came about, it was great to connect with them again with their blogs & articles.

My trusty weather radio also was a must listen a few times per day. I loved setting it to the Alert function when I was expecting a Winter Storm Watch or Warning to be issued.

The local TV weather was also a main source of information. I used to drive my parents crazy by flipping around the channels to try to catch all 3 different TV weather forecasts.

image.png.44fb60cd40f77d9a4391da7aa5e87ec2.png

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I haven’t had the chance to look at the long term weather models the last couple of days?

Any chance of one last winter storm to track?

The trusty GFS cold bias still rolls a couple of storms with snow in the cold sector through the northeast bookending next weekend.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

This aged well, though I’ll admit I questioned it after the Big Ten tourney.

Exactly dude OSU cannot close games at all and it bit them today. Illinois is experienced it may be their year, my wolverines were looking good until Livers injury...now I’m feeling sweet 16 exit. Good hire by psu btw, he knows his stuff.

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Exactly dude OSU cannot close games at all and it bit them today. Illinois is experienced it may be their year, my wolverines were looking good until Livers injury...now I’m feeling sweet 16 exit. Good hire by psu btw, he knows his stuff.

Agreed on the PSU hire. I’m a Wisconsin guy myself though PSU runs in my family’s blood as it does for a lot of Pennsylvanians. Glad Wisconsin finally put together a complete game and scored 85 and dismantled UNC in a game that was never really contested. Those kids have been together four years and finally got to experience the joy of winning a tournament game. They’ll get dismantled by Baylor on Sunday but I’m on cloud nine.

3 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Agreed on the PSU hire. I’m a Wisconsin guy myself though PSU runs in my family’s blood as it does for a lot of Pennsylvanians. Glad Wisconsin finally put together a complete game and scored 85 and dismantled UNC in a game that was never really contested. Those kids have been together four years and finally got to experience the joy of winning a tournament game. They’ll get dismantled by Baylor on Sunday but I’m on cloud nine.

Ohh that’s right you’re a Wisconsin man lol someone here was psu think it’s mt joy poster. Wisconsin is sooooo sneaky good at tourney time, how Baylor’s been starting games Wisconsin has real shot pulling upset.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Back to Weather World...I LOVED that show! Paul and Fred surely influenced my weather passion.

I remember thinking Elliot Abrams was one of the strangest people I ever watched on tv.... LOL

He is the reason "some" say Gorilla in the Gulf and Chattanooga Choo Choo to represent storm types.  :-). 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@Itstrainingtime

I noticed your comments in the Philly thread about the Sixers. I am also a huge life long Sixers fan!

It's been a frustrating journey. So many poor decisions, horrible draft picks, bad trades, etc. They are fun to watch now, Rivers seems to have them gelling as a team. 

Only title they've won in my lifetime was 1983. Won it in LA the very night I graduated from high achool. All 3 of my favorite teams won in 1983...PSU football, the Sixers, and then the Orioles in the fall. Only PSU won a title since. (1986) Though they should have been at least co-champions with Nebraska in 1994...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Ohh that’s right you’re a Wisconsin man lol someone here was psu think it’s mt joy poster. Wisconsin is sooooo sneaky good at tourney time, how Baylor’s been starting games Wisconsin has real shot pulling upset.

Yes that’s me, PSU everything. The last couple days I’ve actually been busy following the NCAA wrestling championships. Mat Madness comes before March Madness for me ha. But yes I like the new PSU basketball hire, unfortunately all the players have entered the transfer portal though so good luck to the guy. Penn State has just never been able to figure out the basketball puzzle, very frustrating. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Tonight-

Rgem-19 in York County

GFS/NAM/HRRR-Low 30's

Only made it to 53 here today.  I was down in N Central MD and a bit warmer down there.  Some spring feeling to the air. 

I haven't checked my station once today, but I just returned from a walk in a tee shirt and was perfectly comfortable. It's gorgeous out! 

Just got back from a nice walk with the dog.  No jacket needed.  Sun warm but not too warm with air temp of 58 degrees.  Low this morning was 24.  High a little earlier was 60.  Low yesterday morning was 31.  I got right around one inch of rain a few days ago.  Prior to that rain I had only recorded 0.25" for the month...very dry and kind of like January moisture-wise.  Even with that inch I only have 1.25" for the month so far which I'm pretty sure is at least 0.75" below average-to-date.  And now, ready for a string of days like today continuing.

@canderson, congrats on getting to your first shot.  I was fortunate to have gotten my first dose just this past Wednesday.  My wife and in-laws got their second shot 2 weeks ago so they should all be good now.  In-laws are 88 and 89 so I'm really glad to finally have received mine.  We see them very often as they only live 2 minutes away from us in a retirement community.  I got the Pfizer, so I go back in 2 1/2 weeks for the final.

• Like 1