Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

LOL.  Did she concur it was fabulous?  LOL.  It was just 24 hours I did not know what this Short Pump phenomena was and now there are t-shirts. 

I'm assuming it was on one of her many trips to southern VA. :) Short Pump has taken on a whole new level of notoriety this winter. 

Meanwhile - already multiple confirmed Tornadoes on the ground in AL and MS. :(  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife spent a week in Tuscaloosa days after 4/27/11 helping clean up efforts. The pictures and video she sent to me were...I don't know. Street after street of nothing but concrete pads. There were areas where there was literally nothing left. 

Unfortunately, it appears we now have a PDS warning for Tuscaloosa. 

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just ran through the GFS temp charts and it pretty much Punt's the first third of Met Spring as to seeing much above norm temps moving into April.  Not much different than February 2020 at MDT.   Decent chance to leave that A/C cover on until April. 

18z GFS Para says that some people from VA to New England might need their snow shovels on Friday!

It may be our last snow train ride for 8 months!

AE0B4A95-57BF-463F-865F-8DD6BAF00E06.png

C8E2D946-6143-444D-A512-599BCDECDAF0.png

F5CF4E6C-A3CE-4E4F-8075-8DCE18866F66.png

• Like 1

CTP is on board with a mix & change over to snow in my zone forecast.

Thursday Night
Rain before 3am, then rain and snow. Low around 33. North wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. 
Friday
Rain and snow likely before 7am, then a chance of snow between 7am and 2pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 40. North wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Pardon for me a somewhat long, personal and serious post but I need to say this somewhere so here it goes. 

I post here about wind a lot, as I don’t like it. The truth is, the older I get the more it scare me. This past year has been the worst ever - I couldn’t sleep the last few nights where it was blowing 40+ mph; my brain wouldn’t let me. 

Talking with a therapist friend, it hit me. I lived through four tornadoes first-hand. 

• one hit my school in 5th grade and lifted part of our roof off.
  • one hit our house at 11:30 pm and ripped it to shreds - the center closet we were in was one of the seven walls still standing 
  • one hit our house again a year and a half later around dusk and took part of the roof off
  • one hit as we were crappie fishing at night. We were tied up under a bridge and saw the storm coming but stayed because it was safe from lightning. Well the wind shredded our lines and pontoon boat capsized at 1 am in the middle of a tornado in a lake full of water moccasins. 

I have untouched persona trauma that wind is now reliving. I’m going to work through it but it will take time. Thanks for letting me rant. 

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Pardon for me a somewhat long, personal and serious post but I need to say this somewhere so here it goes. 

I post here about wind a lot, as I don’t like it. The truth is, the older I get the more it scare me. This past year has been the worst ever - I couldn’t sleep the last few nights where it was blowing 40+ mph; my brain wouldn’t let me. 

Talking with a therapist friend, it hit me. I lived through four tornadoes first-hand. 

• one hit our house at 11:30 pm and ripped it to shreds - the center closet we were in was one of the seven walls still standing 
  • one hit our house again a year and a half later around dusk and took part of the roof off
  • one hit as we were crappie fishing at night. We were tied up under a bridge and saw the storm coming but stayed because it was safe from lightning. Well the wind shredded our lines and pontoon boat capsized at 1 am in the middle of a tornado in a lake full of water moccasins. 

I have untouched persona trauma that wind is now reliving. I’m going to work through it but it will take time. Thanks for letting me rant. 

Thank you for sharing that. One reason why I hate severe weather is admittedly, I never wish to see/experience a tornado first hand. To go through 4...well, I can't imagine.

I'm sorry that I've given you a hard time over wind. I certainly won't do that again. Hopefully this is something that you can deal with appropriately moving forward.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, canderson said:

I think most who might say something about you and wind are just trying to be funny in the moment.  We all have something we are known for and for some it revolves around passion re: I hate when my grass dies so I am sensitive to drought conditions.  So post away and let it it out as needed.  I wish anyone who posted here could walk away each day feeling like it was a worthwhile activity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think most who might say something about you and wind are just trying to be funny in the moment.  We all have something we are known for and for some it revolves around passion re: I hate when my grass dies so I am sensitive to drought conditions.  So post away and let it it out as needed.  I wish anyone who posted here could walk away each day feeling like it was a worthwhile activity. 

Yup. Mine is my career choice and driving and working in ice and snow. Chasing a storm on the models is fun, but then reality hits...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yup. Mine is my career choice and driving and working in ice and snow. Chasing a storm on the models is fun, but then reality hits...

Pre-pandemic, this was definitely a consideration for me. As long as I’m wfh (hopefully forever as far as I’m concerned, but probably not), it’s a lot easier to root for crippling blizzards, severe weather, wind storms, etc...anything that has the potential to eff up a commute. But even if I’m ever back to the office, I imagine there will be more societal flexibility toward wfh when weather conditions suck (employers know many of us prefer it and are going to have a hell of time getting us to come back), so maybe I can still root for these things without worrying about my commute. (And yes, I’d still be sneaking the occasional post on weather forums in the office, so no judgment!)

Just now, TimB84 said:

Pre-pandemic, this was definitely a consideration for me. As long as I’m wfh (hopefully forever as far as I’m concerned, but probably not), it’s a lot easier to root for crippling blizzards, severe weather, wind storms, etc...anything that has the potential to eff up a commute. But even if I’m ever back to the office, I imagine there will be more societal flexibility toward wfh when weather conditions suck (employers know many of us prefer it and are going to have a hell of time getting us to come back), so maybe I can still root for these things without worrying about my commute.

It's interesting in that I have been WFH for 3 years now and it gets a little long in the tooth as to less social interaction.  Probably have to find a happy medium for myself....some of both...before I become a hermit.  

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's interesting in that I have been WFH for 3 years now and it gets a little long in the tooth as to less social interaction.  Probably have to find a happy medium for myself....some of both...before I become a hermit.  

I’m all for a happy medium. I have absolutely no interest in going to the office more than 3 days a week ever again in my life (preferably 2), but not 0. Guess I didn’t articulate that when I said I wanted to wfh “forever.”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Pre-pandemic, this was definitely a consideration for me. As long as I’m wfh (hopefully forever as far as I’m concerned, but probably not), it’s a lot easier to root for crippling blizzards, severe weather, wind storms, etc...anything that has the potential to eff up a commute. But even if I’m ever back to the office, I imagine there will be more societal flexibility toward wfh when weather conditions suck (employers know many of us prefer it and are going to have a hell of time getting us to come back), so maybe I can still root for these things without worrying about my commute. (And yes, I’d still be sneaking the occasional post on weather forums in the office, so no judgment!)

I'd love to be able to work from home on an "when I feel like it" basis (snowstorms) but I'm a truck driver. There's no working from home for me...lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I'd love to be able to work from home on an "when I feel like it" basis (snowstorms) but I'm a truck driver. There's no working from home for me...lol

Believe me, I understand that job and many others can’t be done from home! Thank you for the essential services you provide to our society.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Oh, I didn't intend to sound like I was saying anything about anyone here. I don't mind the wind jokes, promise! It just finally hit me why I'm being more and more worried during wind events ... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Certainly understandable, wow! 

I have said for years (maybe not as much as you) how crazy our wind is on this area. I always thought the mountain behind us had something to do with. And it seems, the wind is getting worse the past few years. And i didn't sleep either early this week. The wind blew all my patio furniture and big grille off my patio on the west side of my house and had it laying in my side yard. Its not cheap shit either. and its heavy. That has never happened here. 

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thank you for sharing that. One reason why I hate severe weather is admittedly, I never wish to see/experience a tornado first hand. To go through 4...well, I can't imagine.

I'm sorry that I've given you a hard time over wind. I certainly won't do that again. Hopefully this is something that you can deal with appropriately moving forward.

severe is how i started following weather. Being in the fire dept, kinda goes hand in hand. I cringe when i hear someone say they hope we get this or that. They obviously never personally experienced  a tragic event. They would never wish for it again. I've had the not so much pleasure of seeing to much death  and destruction. I'm not a fan, I don't need to see anymore really.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

severe is how i started following weather. Being in the fire dept, kinda goes hand in hand. I cringe when i hear someone say they hope we get this or that. They obviously never personally experienced  a tragic event. They would never wish for it again. I've had the not so much pleasure of seeing to much death  and destruction. I'm not a fan, I don't need to see anymore really.  

At the root of it, and to play devil’s advocate, is there really any difference between hoping for a tornado or hurricane vs. hoping for a blizzard/historic cold/record heat wave/etc.? Lives are lost in all of the above. I would argue that all events where someone dies are tragic. Some (not necessarily me, unless we’re talking about massive devastation where people lose everything and not just something like burst pipes or a flooded basement or needing a new roof) might even argue that all events where anyone’s property is damaged, even if no one is hurt or killed, are tragic.

23 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

At the root of it, and to play devil’s advocate, is there really any difference between hoping for a tornado or hurricane vs. hoping for a blizzard/historic cold/record heat wave/etc.? Lives are lost in all of the above.

And yet I root for all of it.  Guilty as charged.  I can't help myself.  I want maximum chaos when it comes to weather.  I want to see extreme events and records broken.  Heck, it's the reason I'm a weather enthusiast and on this very forum.  But you are so right that lives are lost in all extreme weather and that reality does have to fit in somewhere.  A tricky balance.  

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

And yet I root for all of it.  Guilty as charged.  I can't help myself.  I want maximum chaos when it comes to weather.  I want to see extreme events and records broken.  Heck, it's the reason I'm a weather enthusiast and on this very forum.  But you are so right that lives are lost in all extreme weather and that reality does have to fit in somewhere.  A tricky balance.  

Someone in my home thread put it in this perspective for me: weather will happen and lives will be lost whether we root for it or not.

Tornadoes and blizzards are much more fascinating than 70 and sunny. I can’t imagine there are many weather enthusiasts in San Diego.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Someone in my home thread put it in this perspective for me: weather will happen and lives will be lost whether we root for it or not.

Tornadoes and blizzards are much more fascinating than 70 and sunny. I can’t imagine there are many weather enthusiasts in San Diego.

Exactly.  Well stated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Exactly.  Well stated.

Probably none of us are on here stemming from a fascination of the day when we were younger and it was sunny and 67. :)  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Probably none of us are on here stemming from a fascination of the day when we were younger and it was sunny and 67. :)  

It depends on whether that day was in April/October or in July. As a cold fan, a sunny and 67 July day in PA for me would be wonderful.