Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not feeling it, dude. We missed the boat IMO. Next week is our shot to hop aboard, but if next week goes awry, which is more likely than not, then I would hope to approach climo at best.

I get it man and with lots of doody diapers to shuffle through...a man just needs a little winter action to ease the mind. 

We have a long way to go though. Hang in there champ. 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

34/52 have accumulating snow  for me. Even a 2 to 4 would be nice 

I think you are looking pretty good down there...and esp over to SW CT. Getting more confident they see something shovel-able.

I'd like to see one more solid bump north for the pike region. We still have plenty of time and as we've seen so far with the model guidance, only small shifts in the orientation of PV lobes and blocking up north has outsized effects on the sensible wx impact down here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think you are looking pretty good down there...and esp ove to SW CT. Getting more confident they see something shovel-able.

I'd like to see one more solid bump north for the pike region. We still have plenty of time and as we've seen so far with the model guidance, only small shifts in the orientation of PV lobes and blocking up north has outsized effects on the sensible wx impact down here.

My hopes, and probably even the pike region, ride on 1/29 to avoid one of the worst January months in history.

I sit at 2" on the month....only worse years are 1962, 1969, 1980 (futility season), and 1992.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My hopes, and probably even the pike region, ride on 1/29 to avoid one of the worst January months in history.

That one looked like ka-ka last night after trending better during the day. Hopefully it comes back.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

1/29 seems to have spacing issues though, again. Right on the heels of 1/26, not sure if it has time to dig.

This is one of the reasons mod la nina seasons do not produce many big events for us. I know you aren't a fan of generalizing seasons based off of ENSO, but when you have one big second half in nearly 100 years of data, there are probably reasons why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

1/29 seems to have spacing issues though, again. Right on the heels of 1/26, not sure if it has time to dig.

Bigger issue on 1/29 is the block up north...it tries to retrograde a PV lobe enough to prevent it from amplifying. It actually looks pretty good out west on several different runs before it approaches.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Bigger issue on 1/29 is the block up north...it tries to retrograde a PV lobe enough to prevent it from amplifying. It actually looks pretty good out west on several different runs before it approaches.

Best western look we have had in weeks, which is why I was originally hopeful for that one, but the busy N stream and the Pac kicker displacing the ridge east are killing us.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is one of the reasons mod la nina seasons do not produce many big events for us. I know you aren't a fan of generalizing seasons based off of ENSO, but when you have one big second half in nearly 100 years of data, there are probably reasons why.

Good point. I’m not the student as you are so I’m not denying the validity of enso but I do think now, more then ever, seasons can deviate from traditional enso behaviors. 

I’ll defer to you on this though and continue to hope something big pops...even if it happens by cuddling up with a rabbits foot.  

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s been porking us all month. Every shortwave approaching the EC just gets lobed OTS. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Good point. I’m not the student as you are so I’m not denying the validity of enso but I do think now, more then ever, seasons can deviate from traditional enso behaviors. 

I’ll defer to you on this though and continue to hope something big pops...even if it happens by cuddling up with a rabbits foot.  

Absolutely, but as I have mentioned, the problem is that the vehicle for said deviation constructively interferes, not deconstructively, as it does with positive ENSO.

If anyone cares to explain why a faster flow and displaced Hadley Cell will resolve the issues that are inherent of second half la nina seasons, then I'm all ears....and I'm not being a sarcastic dick, as is usually the case.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the ceiling for this “event” is pretty low east of the CT/RI border and north of of the mass pike. I would be shocked if this broke right if we even got more than 3-4” here.

Yea, I think Luke has an outside shot at a low-end warning event, but my ceiling is like 2".

• Like 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the ceiling for this “event” is pretty low east of the CT/RI border and north of of the mass pike. I would be shocked if this broke right if we even got more than 3-4” here.

3-4" would feel like a KU at this point.  After 1/26, it looks like our next shot at anything waits until the first week of Feb...or even later?  I'm told that northern stream dominant patterns can break right with very little notice though, so maybe something good pops with only 72-96 hours notice.