• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm

Ralph Wiggum

If the GFS caves then we have a problem.  Otherwise, I still like where the 06Z has us at this moment.  Strange how all of a sudden the confluence is weakening.  I feel lie we are at that point where we lose some support only for that cold push to show up on tonight's runs.  We shall see.  Still, this a is a high impact event for the area during a winter we all thought would be a big goose egg.

4 hours ago, Newman said:

Unless we see these meso models shift the banding back south, I don't see the 18-24" range verifying this far south. Insane forecast by NWS, I still can't get over it. I want it to verify dearly, but I can't get myself to believe it with the 0z and 6z push north.

PA_state_Snow.png

NJ_state_Snow.png

I think it might be computer generated, and look at the time stamp, from very early this morning

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Shades of March 2017. Slept for a few hours and had a wicked dream that I was physically encased in a tomb of sleet and ice. Woke up in a cold sweat....stepped out of bed and slipped on what felt like ice on my bedroom floor. Dog pissed. Jumped in shower, turned water on and ice sprayed out of the shower head. Woke up and realized I was having a dream inside of a dream. Weird stuff. Now I'm not sure if this is real or a dream. 

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas! 

All of these 12z models take the mix/sleet all the way up into Berks/LV and a nice dry slot as well. Oh well. Honestly expecting 6-10" now after every single model run the past week giving me 15+". And those 6-10" will mostly come in the initial WAA thump, then sleet and dry slot, then maybe eek out some backside CCB love. It's gonna feel more like a SWFE compared to the initial look of a Miller B/C. Feel for you Philly and Jersey folk, long winter ahead. Lets hope we can turn this around in the next 24 hours. Otherwise, on to the next...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Newman said:

All of these 12z models take the mix/sleet all the way up into Berks/LV and a nice dry slot as well. Oh well. Honestly expecting 6-10" now after every single model run the past week giving me 15+". And those 6-10" will mostly come in the initial WAA thump, then sleet and dry slot, then maybe eek out some backside CCB love. It's gonna feel more like a SWFE compared to the initial look of a Miller B/C. Feel for you Philly and Jersey folk, long winter ahead. Lets hope we can turn this around in the next 24 hours. Otherwise, on to the next...

All?  Not the GFS.

Just now, hazwoper said:

All?  Not the GFS.

Continues to shift NW with the other models. Let's see what the Euro and CMC do. The problem is I've seen this story before go both ways. This could trend back SE at the last moment, or it could keep shifting NW and more amped. I just don't have a good taste in my mouth with this one. Screams warm nose and dry slot with those mid-level low passes and a tucked surface low into NY Harbor.

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Newman said:

My expectations all along have been warning level event. Should still score that in Hopewell with the initial WAA thump. 6-10" sounds about right though I'm expecting more like 4-8". This is my first winter being in a traditional CAD zone with some elevation so I'm not as sure.

Based on my old spot in Levittown though, I'd only be expecting 2-4" there. 1-3" on the WAA thump then over to mainly sleet with light rain during the dry slot. Similar for philly. Feel for you guys and I hope the trend stops because I'm on the edge of warning snow now... 

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

My expectations all along have been warning level event. Should still score that in Hopewell with the initial WAA thump. 6-10" sounds about right though I'm expecting more like 4-8". This is my first winter being in a traditional CAD zone with some elevation so I'm not as sure.

Based on my old spot in Levittown though, I'd only be expecting 2-4" there. 1-3" on the WAA thump then over to mainly sleet with light rain during the dry slot. Similar for philly. Feel for you guys and I hope the trend stops because I'm on the edge of warning snow now... 

Hopewell has elevation?  Yeah, I'm not expecting much of anything in Langhorne, PA besides sleet at this point.  Hope you do a little better up there!

6 minutes ago, JMcCaughey42 said:

Hopewell has elevation?  Yeah, I'm not expecting much of anything in Langhorne, PA besides sleet at this point.  Hope you do a little better up there!

Surprisingly I'm at like 500' at my property here. Way better than the 33 ft I was at  in lower bucks. Look up the Sourland "Mountains" :lol:

• Like 1

They were on point at the time they issued that forecast. Subsequent runs have been more dicey. Some proprietary mesoscale models still show more snow farther south.

There is very strong hp. Hard to see the low make it as far inland as some of the models currently take it. Being a good met means looking at the physics, not just the models. Models have utility but they're a tool, not THE forecast. Plenty of times on this forum the models have said BIG STORM and then, poof, nothing, and everyone on here went along with it. Conversely, sometimes situations outperform the models. 

In closing, unless you are currently working as a paid met, please sitith thy butt down, and stop critiquing those who studied and do this professionally. 

• Thanks 3

Surprisingly I'm at like 500' at my property here. Way better than the 33 ft I was at  in lower bucks. Look up the Sourland "Mountains" :lol:

Where are you in Hopewell? I’m practically on Baldpate Mountain and I’m at about 350’.

40 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

To brighten the mood check day 7 gfs. Not bad with that energy coming down from the northwest. I can’t even fathom tracking another event right now though lol

never again will I start tracking until inside of 72 hours..... hell who am I kidding I always fall for it

• Weenie 1