Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

27 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

State College lies in a valley far southeast enough of the great lakes to miss out on Lake Effect snow and far north enough to usually get fringed on nor'easters. It's meteorolical hell. 

So true. Usually pray for clippers and our occasional March blockbuster.  1993 was spectacular for SC.  27” and 5’ drifts, if I recall right.

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Let's see for those of us who are cheapskates and don't want to give Joe Bastardi money lol

High water mark of the mixing at this 42 hr frame. Mixing at 39 and 42 above mason-dixon. Everyone back over at hr 45. It's hard on these 3 hr maps to really tell whats going on QPF wise but it appears to me the mixing period might conincide with a slot (or lighter precip at least) working up into the LSV, which is certainly possible with how close the low gets before fading. Euros only putting out small sleet/ice numbers and then the backside sets back again as snow. It's still going to be a significant snowfall regardless. 

Hr 42

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-instant_ptype_3hr-8184800.thumb.png.cbcd18a0e880378ca2b9c20e982d3e2e.png

10:1 map

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-total_snow_10to1-8238800.thumb.png.8beaa9a72eebb913acefd6ba0b13bb90.png 

48 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

State College lies in a valley far southeast enough of the great lakes to miss out on Lake Effect snow and far north enough to usually get fringed on nor'easters. It's meteorolical hell. 

I lived there from 2004-09 and had a bunch of moderate events, nothing I would really call major. The largest single event was the Valentines Day 2007 snow/sleet event with I think 11". Consistently below average snow, one year 08-09 maybe got above 40". PLENTY of events that split PA down the middle and skipped us over, storms that formed too late or cutters that were sleet events. This looks like the kind of storm that can really dump on them-a track over the Chesapeake Bay into S NJ is essentially textbook for that area. The result is a sloppy mess for my backyard but I'll be thrilled if somehow UNV can pull it off to get above 20". Yes it's really been since 1994 that it's happened. The area is known for nickle/dime events that can add up but often to below season average. Further east/north often get in on the big nor'easters. 3/14/17 if I recall was a very nice event in State College but not like Binghamton/Scranton area. I drove through much of PA in the wake of that and definitely remember a huge max in NE PA that petered out a little to the west. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

That’s a horrible map and lines up with almost no model guidance. I know that it isn’t their viewing area but 1 inch in Pittsburgh is hilarious.

Yes, I don't think they took areas outside of their viewership area into account. I hope not at least. Any model showing DC getting 3"+ is showing 15" or more for me...just saying.