Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

15 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Hey guys serious question bc I’m not smart at weather, it looks like we have decently strong low in central and northern VA but GFS shows pretty paltry precip north of low. Is this due to a high or something causing it to dry up?

Antecedent is cool but not cold.  850's not for SE 1/3 where most precip falls.  That's why the frozen will be a thin stripe on NW periphery of qpf field until it gets further north through NNJ and into NE where it can get into colder airmass.  If this storm happened in January, seeing the panels as they are on 12z's home team models, I'd be moderately giddy down here.  Its early in the season and we're still cooling off in the N Hemisphere.  That's my take anyway.  Like I stated yesterday, elevation will likely have a few surprises on that NW side.  Allentown to Poconos still look like best spots in our region to me.

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Antecedent is cool but not cold.  850's not for SE 1/3 where most precip falls.  That's why the frozen will be a thin stripe on NW periphery of qpf field until it gets further north through NNJ and into NE where it can get into colder airmass.  If this storm happened in January, seeing the panels as they are on 12z's home team models, I'd be moderately giddy down here.  Its early in the season and we're still cooling off in the N Hemisphere.  That's my take anyway.  Like I stated yesterday, elevation will likely have a few surprises on that NW side.  Allentown to Poconos still look like best spots in our region to me.

I think that sums this situation up perfectly, agree with every word of this. I bolded the section that resonates best with me, and that is why we've been talking about patience. We're still early in the hunt, and for those of us in the lowlands to get snow, we need moisture AND a well timed, fresh cold airmass. The cold of the past few days is moderating and moving out. It's not nearly enough for this weekend. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Great description and thanks for time. I was kinda more wondering why so dry on northern side I guess(lol as my worry is water level/spring issue at this point).

36 minutes ago, paweather said:

Glad this wasn't a winter storm at least on the 12z GFS it went south today with the low. Maybe now a half inch of rain for my area. 

Since Hurricane Isaias it seemed as if most major events hit SEPA up to the Lehigh Valley. I wonder if that is going to be the predominant pattern through the winter.

9 minutes ago, paweather said:

Just went and got my fix on the Mid-ATL forum, I see DT is back posting on it. :-) I didn't see Bob but PSU is still posting over there. If you want doom and gloom JI is still on the board there. 

Ji is off-putting to a LOT of people on here, and I totally respect those that feel that way. Personally, I think he's the funniest negative person on the board. His act does grow a bit weary to me only in that he actually knows a lot - I listen to what he says because honestly...he's often right. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Ji is off-putting to a LOT of people on here, and I totally respect those that feel that way. Personally, I think he's the funniest negative person on the board. His act does grow a bit weary to me only in that he actually knows a lot - I listen to what he says because honestly...he's often right. 

I agree, I like him honestly and he has so much passion for winter weather like us.