Total Members
    Most Online
    Avira789Wx
    Newest Member
    Avira789Wx
October Banter 2020

George BM

5 hours ago, Ellinwood said:

Been looking at places along/near I-81 for buying a house next year, but not being familiar with the housing market in these areas, I'm looking for advice on good up-and-coming or established areas. Looking mainly at the Hagerstown area and near the I-81/I-66 interchange anywhere between Winchester and Strasburg/Front Royal. Wife wants access to the western side of the DC beltway, so NoVA is more of a priority.

Think you would like it here. Personally I think the housing market is over valued but there’s a lot available so you can probably negotiate your way to a decent deal. The area between Winchester and Strasburg is beautiful and Front Royal is just as picturesque community as you will ever find, right at the base of Shenandoah National Park

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ellinwood said:

Been looking at places along/near I-81 for buying a house next year, but not being familiar with the housing market in these areas, I'm looking for advice on good up-and-coming or established areas. Looking mainly at the Hagerstown area and near the I-81/I-66 interchange anywhere between Winchester and Strasburg/Front Royal. Wife wants access to the western side of the DC beltway, so NoVA is more of a priority.

With access to the western side of the beltway in mind, suggest focusing on something south of the Potomac.  Where, depends on what your priorities are.  Having to cross a bridge around here can be a royal pita, especially during inclement weather or accidents.  To access NOVA from MD there's only have 4 options after you get away from DC - Chain Bridge, 495, Whites Ferry, Rt-15 and I-81.  On any given day, one or more of them have significant backups.  Throw in even a minor incident and a normal drive across a bridge can be a nightmare.  Rt-15 is getting notorious for backups between Leesburg and the Potomac/MD.

In NOVA, it's all about price vs commute.  In the reference to "Western side of the DC Beltway", what are the things your wife is interested in and how far out are you looking?  As WinterWxLuver pointed out, the area around Front Royal and Winchester is beautiful if you're looking in that area.  It depends on how far west you want to be.  From I-81 it's a min of 45 mins to an hour to get to the Beltway, w/o any traffic

FWIW - I-66 is torn up yet again for widening and will be a construction zone for the next several years.  I-66 is also a demarkation point in that if you have to cross over it to go from N to S across FFCO or Loudon to PW County, crossing I-66 can be akin to crossing the Potomac.  

If you get west of Rt-28 (and north of I-66) Dulles airport is another obstacle.  The main arteries/routes running E/W to the western suburbs are Rt-50, the Greenway, Waxpool Road and Rt-7.  If you go as far west as Leesburg, the options to get to NOVA are the greenway (F/T toll road and $$$) and Rt-7 (also under construction for widening).  

If your focus West of the Beltway is closer in towards the Tyson's area, it's hard to beat Vienna, Oakton and Reston.  That triangle is convenient to I-66, the Dulles Toll road, Tyson's, multiple shopping areas, plenty of hospitals and medical care, and only 30 mins to downtown DC (non-rush hour).  The challenge can be expense.  The old saying used to be, for every mile outside the beltway in NOVA the price of a house goes down $10,000.  That figure still roughly applies.  

Hope this helps.  

• Like 2

Anyone catch this article about a teachers union in Virginia.  They are pushing for total cancellation of in person through summer of 2021. And the big thing that stuck out was they want 14 days of (0)  community spread as a metric . That's impossible.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/521945-teachers-union-in-virginias-largest-county-calls-for-virtual-classes

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Anyone catch this article about a teachers union in Virginia.  They are pushing for total cancellation of in person through summer of 2021. And the big thing that stuck out was they want 14 days of (0)  community spread as a metric . That's impossible.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/521945-teachers-union-in-virginias-largest-county-calls-for-virtual-classes

Consider where that “place” is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

VA doesn’t actually have Teacher Unions like most people think of them.  This is one of several “associations”, which looks like it accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of the staff for Fairfax County.  They definitely appear to be way out there on the cautious side, to an absurd extent.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

VA doesn’t actually have Teacher Unions like most people think of them.  This is one of several “associations”, which looks like it accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of the staff for Fairfax County.  They definitely appear to be way out there on the cautious side, to an absurd extent.

And we don’t have the right to strike either. So if the FCPS board says go back to the classroom and teachers balk, I’d say they’d be looking for a new job. They really don’t have any power.

11 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Understood . So a (minority) group as far as numbers go.  Gotcha . Still absurd as u said 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I wonder if any of cases were actually from in the schools themselves or is it just out in the community.  Lots of articles showing spread is happening in homes and family gatherings.  

Overwhelming evidence has shown schools aren't spreading the virus. 

Just says within the community. I know your position, and respect it. However, if its spreading enough in the community that the positivity rate tripled in 10-days, then it most certainly can spread within schools. I'm of the mind that it's better to be safe now, then sorry later. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Just says within the community. I know your position, and respect it. However, if its spreading enough in the community that the positivity rate tripled in 10-days, then it most certainly can spread within schools. I'm of the mind that it's better to be safe now, then sorry later. 

I agree.  I think schools should be open when community spread is reasonably low, but the risk becomes too great when community spread gets above a certain level.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic