• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

October Banter 2020

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Who was that guy who asked if the extra hour of light would make it harder for snow to stick when they moved daylight saving up in the spring?  

probably the same guy who said snow on the weekends sucked because more cars were on the road 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

@CAPE

I’m starting the yeast this evening for the Fear imperial pumpkin beer clone (we call it Ichabod’s Imperial Pumpkin). I’ll pick the pumpkins from the garden this afternoon and roast them to make a pumpkin slurry for the mash, and then brewing on Sunday, 

Maybe we can meet in a couple of weeks on Kent Island and I can give you a growler.

image.jpeg.dd61405710063ceb5339ca36ad7b08ef.jpeg

Sweet kegerator artwork! And the beer sounds good, too!

I kegged my imperial stout last Saturday. It's a 16%-ish beast aged on Knob Creek-soaked oak spirals and dosed with a tincture made of 6oz of cacao nibs and 5 vanilla beans soaked in vodka and bourbon. I'm naturally carbonating this one, so I'm patiently waiting for another week or so before hooking it up.

• Like 2

Been looking at places along/near I-81 for buying a house next year, but not being familiar with the housing market in these areas, I'm looking for advice on good up-and-coming or established areas. Looking mainly at the Hagerstown area and near the I-81/I-66 interchange anywhere between Winchester and Strasburg/Front Royal. Wife wants access to the western side of the DC beltway, so NoVA is more of a priority.

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Who was that guy who asked if the extra hour of light would make it harder for snow to stick when they moved daylight saving up in the spring?  

:lol: I remember that but don’t recall who it was. I also remember thinking that he was joking until he started arguing with people laughing at him.

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

Sweet kegerator artwork! And the beer sounds good, too!

I kegged my imperial stout last Saturday. It's a 16%-ish beast aged on Knob Creek-soaked oak spirals and dosed with a tincture made of 6oz of cacao nibs and 5 vanilla beans soaked in vodka and bourbon. I'm naturally carbonating this one, so I'm patiently waiting for another week or so before hooking it up.

Dude, that sounds so good. We have to set up a meet sometime and exchange brews. By the way, my gf says thanks for the artwork compliment. Here are a few of our regulars we have on hand frequently.

image.jpeg.ac8e6285994e9b9c2d2eb9cb60026940.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Some legit heavy snow falling in the Minneapolis area currently. Webcams around there are crappy/lacking.

6-9" across the Minneapolis metro region.  Earliest 4"+ storm on record at MSP.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m the other way around this time of year. I’m ready for pre 7am sunrises. Most people don’t realize it, but in this area, our latest sunrises of the year happen during the week before the time change. Even the early January sunrises in winter are earlier than the last week of October. I like later sunsets too, but I get more done in the mornings than I do in the evenings.

Yep, that’s fair.  I haven’t noticed it as much this year since I’m still working from home - so I’m not up as early to commute.  But when I was, it sucked.  

• Like 1

Nam was a huge tease 2 days before... No surprise lol. A really fun storm to track .

A once in a lifetime October snowstorm . One of my top 10 favorites . Around  5.5" here 

I recorded 0.1" from that.  Had hours of non-accumulating snow.  Twice had heavy enough bursts to coat the mulch, but then it remelted when it slacked off.  

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I recorded 0.1" from that.  Had hours of non-accumulating snow.  Twice had heavy enough bursts to coat the mulch, but then it remelted when it slacked off.  

6” here from that and an amazingly terrible winter followed 

5 hours ago, Ellinwood said:

Been looking at places along/near I-81 for buying a house next year, but not being familiar with the housing market in these areas, I'm looking for advice on good up-and-coming or established areas. Looking mainly at the Hagerstown area and near the I-81/I-66 interchange anywhere between Winchester and Strasburg/Front Royal. Wife wants access to the western side of the DC beltway, so NoVA is more of a priority.

Think you would like it here. Personally I think the housing market is over valued but there’s a lot available so you can probably negotiate your way to a decent deal. The area between Winchester and Strasburg is beautiful and Front Royal is just as picturesque community as you will ever find, right at the base of Shenandoah National Park

• Like 1

7 hours ago, losetoa6 said:
Nam was a huge tease 2 days before... No surprise lol. A really fun storm to track .

A once in a lifetime October snowstorm . One of my top 10 favorites . Around  5.5" here 

The 0z GFS says maybe..

:weenie:

gfs_z500a_us_38.png

Only interested when its inside NAM range.  The most accurate model lately btw

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GL low screws the boundary layer: A Mid-Atlantic story.

Shown every winter on the Benchmark Channel

20 hours ago, Ellinwood said:

With access to the western side of the beltway in mind, suggest focusing on something south of the Potomac.  Where, depends on what your priorities are.  Having to cross a bridge around here can be a royal pita, especially during inclement weather or accidents.  To access NOVA from MD there's only have 4 options after you get away from DC - Chain Bridge, 495, Whites Ferry, Rt-15 and I-81.  On any given day, one or more of them have significant backups.  Throw in even a minor incident and a normal drive across a bridge can be a nightmare.  Rt-15 is getting notorious for backups between Leesburg and the Potomac/MD.

In NOVA, it's all about price vs commute.  In the reference to "Western side of the DC Beltway", what are the things your wife is interested in and how far out are you looking?  As WinterWxLuver pointed out, the area around Front Royal and Winchester is beautiful if you're looking in that area.  It depends on how far west you want to be.  From I-81 it's a min of 45 mins to an hour to get to the Beltway, w/o any traffic

FWIW - I-66 is torn up yet again for widening and will be a construction zone for the next several years.  I-66 is also a demarkation point in that if you have to cross over it to go from N to S across FFCO or Loudon to PW County, crossing I-66 can be akin to crossing the Potomac.  

If you get west of Rt-28 (and north of I-66) Dulles airport is another obstacle.  The main arteries/routes running E/W to the western suburbs are Rt-50, the Greenway, Waxpool Road and Rt-7.  If you go as far west as Leesburg, the options to get to NOVA are the greenway (F/T toll road and $$$) and Rt-7 (also under construction for widening).  

If your focus West of the Beltway is closer in towards the Tyson's area, it's hard to beat Vienna, Oakton and Reston.  That triangle is convenient to I-66, the Dulles Toll road, Tyson's, multiple shopping areas, plenty of hospitals and medical care, and only 30 mins to downtown DC (non-rush hour).  The challenge can be expense.  The old saying used to be, for every mile outside the beltway in NOVA the price of a house goes down $10,000.  That figure still roughly applies.  

Hope this helps.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

heat lightening seems to trigger people.  or in this case one person

i will ban you

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

i will ban you

I deserve it.  Go for the juggler

• Haha 2

Anyone catch this article about a teachers union in Virginia.  They are pushing for total cancellation of in person through summer of 2021. And the big thing that stuck out was they want 14 days of (0)  community spread as a metric . That's impossible.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/521945-teachers-union-in-virginias-largest-county-calls-for-virtual-classes

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Anyone catch this article about a teachers union in Virginia.  They are pushing for total cancellation of in person through summer of 2021. And the big thing that stuck out was they want 14 days of (0)  community spread as a metric . That's impossible.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/521945-teachers-union-in-virginias-largest-county-calls-for-virtual-classes

Consider where that “place” is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

VA doesn’t actually have Teacher Unions like most people think of them.  This is one of several “associations”, which looks like it accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of the staff for Fairfax County.  They definitely appear to be way out there on the cautious side, to an absurd extent.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

VA doesn’t actually have Teacher Unions like most people think of them.  This is one of several “associations”, which looks like it accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of the staff for Fairfax County.  They definitely appear to be way out there on the cautious side, to an absurd extent.

And we don’t have the right to strike either. So if the FCPS board says go back to the classroom and teachers balk, I’d say they’d be looking for a new job. They really don’t have any power.

11 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Understood . So a (minority) group as far as numbers go.  Gotcha . Still absurd as u said 

• Like 1

I thought that two or three weeks ago Fairfax teachers were given three options if they did not want to go back to the classroom:

Have a valid Medical excuse for not going back (per Federal law)

Take an unpaid LOA

Resign

Did this not happen?