Total Members
    Most Online
    Santana 1888
    Newest Member
    Santana 1888
George BM

September Banter 2020

24 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yea I agree with @RDM. Ours stopped last month. We have a maintenance plan so did not have to pay the after hour rates and got a discount on labor. But it was just a bad insulator. Replaced and all was good. Hope your fix is easy and quick. 

some flange came loose which resulted in refrigerant leaking. so he fixed that, refilled it and we are good to go. $300 later of course hahahahaha

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I've got a Breckenridge CO earthcam opened and just flurries so far.  If that was here, we'd be screaming, "Bust!!"

I have a friend who is on a family road trip in SD currently. They are in Custer State Park and were supposed to be tent camping. They opted to stay in a lodge last night which was a good idea. They woke to about 6" of snow already on the ground from overnight. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I've got a Breckenridge CO earthcam opened and just flurries so far.  If that was here, we'd be screaming, "Bust!!"

I've got one from Winter Park open.  Flurries there too.

The obs thread here would be littered with sht/bust calls especially from that one poster called snokima or something like that.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

RDM is exactly right ! :thumbsup:

I've replaced 3 in the 4 homes I've lived in . Very common.

The other thing that goes with some frequency is the starter relay.  Have an extra of those on hand too.  It's about the same price as the start capacitor.  Of course when our AC went kapooey back in July, it was not the capacitor.  Being the last afternoon before the July 4th long weekend everyone was closed.  We were fortunate to get an HVAC Company to respond and were happy to pay the $200 for the call.  Murphy never strikes when it is convenient.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mappy said:

some flange came loose which resulted in refrigerant leaking. so he fixed that, refilled it and we are good to go. $300 later of course hahahahaha

Hummm - Interesting.  If enough freon (R-22 or R-410) leaked out that it prompted the low pressure switch to shut off the compressor, then they likely had to pull a vacuum, evacuate the system and completely recharge it.  If that's the case, you got off cheap for $300.  The cost of R-22 is outrageous these days.  Either way, glad to hear they got you back online.  

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Snowing good and accumulating at Buena Vista( Birthday Peak), Co....which is  sw of Denver .

7900 feet 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Snowing good and accumulating at Buena Vista( Birthday Peak), Co....which is  sw of Denver .

7900 feet 

With that upper low dug in so far west, it would seem the best lift would be in the mountains west/sw of Denver. That said, the window of opportunity for the eastern foothills and Denver proper has always been late afternoon into tonight. Still looks like a burst of snow on the mesos- probably 2-4". Radar seems to be supportive of that idea.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

That looks awesome.

Not bad for early September.

Seeing the snow clinging to fully leafed trees is an interesting sight. Its pretty, yet can be so damaging.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I just purchased the Tempest weather station from Weatherflow. The reviews are pretty good and the price is very reasonable at $330. You can enter the discount code, Tempest10off, which saves 10% through Oct 1 I believe. That pays for better shipping.

I intend to link the station via their Wi-Fi hub to my Nest thermometer and eventually into Wunderground, which will be nice because we seem to have a bit of a data hole in the Reisterstown area.

Shipped today, comes Friday. Really excited for this.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Playoffs?!?

:whistle:

Hell yessss 

Dam* my freaking tooth hurts. I got 2 teeth pulled last week now another root canal today that I think they eff' d up. I just downed a bottle of Chardonnay and still hurts 

Yes ..I know ...beer is king but occasionally I'll drink wine lol ..even a Redneck like me :lol:

• Haha 2

Ryan Mountcastle continues to impress. They have played him alot in left field but I think he would be a permanent fixture at 1st base next year and moving forward.

Edit- unless they decide to continue to run CD out there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RDM said:

Hummm - Interesting.  If enough freon (R-22 or R-410) leaked out that it prompted the low pressure switch to shut off the compressor, then they likely had to pull a vacuum, evacuate the system and completely recharge it.  If that's the case, you got off cheap for $300.  The cost of R-22 is outrageous these days.  Either way, glad to hear they got you back online.  

It was working. Then died again in the afternoon. Guy comes back this morning to try again. LOL home ownership is the worst. 

3 hours ago, mappy said:

It was working. Then died again in the afternoon. Guy comes back this morning to try again. LOL home ownership is the worst. 

Busted coil. Guy didn't have the part, so now we wait for that. I will say, I am glad its September and not July. But the mugginess is awful right now. 

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Busted coil. Guy didn't have the part, so now we wait for that. I will say, I am glad its September and not July. But the mugginess is awful right now. 

Not sure which is worse, muggy stuffy house or hot as hell cause its 99F outside.

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

Not sure which is worse, muggy stuffy house or hot as hell cause its 99F outside.

Id take muggy and 75 with clouds over 99 heat with an HI in the 100s

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

Busted coil. Guy didn't have the part, so now we wait for that. I will say, I am glad its September and not July.

I'm sorry about this....Ours went up right before the July 4th week.  Was without AC for 9 days during the heat.  I told my kids that we were going retro, Back to the 80s when I grew up without AC. 

10 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I'm sorry about this....Ours went up right before the July 4th week.  Was without AC for 9 days during the heat.  I told my kids that we were going retro, Back to the 80s when I grew up without AC. 

hey, thanks! such is life, right? bad timing with first week of school and all but it is what it is. It will get fixed.

2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

This reminds me of growing up during that time. We did not have central AC but had 2 window units. One was downstairs in the kitchen and the other conveniently located in my parents bedroom. At night the downstairs one would get shut off and theirs would get turned on and they then shut their door. And left me and my sister in our rooms with ceiling fans and the still night air. So remember those laying in sweat nights in NW Ohio.