• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cheeroip
    Newest Member
    cheeroip

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

The NWS is calling for some patchy frost tonight.  Impressive to say the least.  

By that look we would definitely have an early frost. 

Done been there ha. Interested to see how low we can get tonight. Was surprised that we didn't get into the 30s last night. Down to 54 already right now.
  • Like 1

We had frost on roof tops this morning in Maggie and Waynesville. I see the forecast calls for a low of 35. Currently dropping into the upper 40's. Fall has arrived early across the Smokey Mountains. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

We had front on roof tops this morning in Maggie and Waynesville. I see the forecast calls for a low of 35. Currently dropping into the upper 40's. Fall has arrived early across the Smokey Mountains. 

Yeah today was straight out of October.  Absolutely beautiful and chilly running some 20 degrees below average. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Done been there ha. Interested to see how low we can get tonight. Was surprised that we didn't get into the 30s last night. Down to 54 already right now.

There was probably a slight breeze where you are at.

I think I will break 10 inches again if the rain later this week materializes. 20+ inches of rain in 2 months is crazy

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

I think I will break 10 inches again if the rain later this week materializes. 20+ inches of rain in 2 months is crazy

Yeah this year has been unbelievable starting all the way in January. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah this year has been unbelievable starting all the way in January. 

Yep, top 5 wettest here since the 80s....

I need 1.8" to surpass 10 for the month. 

• Like 1

Not weather related but a topic for the mountain peeps.

We have a bear that’s been showing up at our house outside Boone. We’ve been there 10 years and have never seen a bear until this July 4th and 6th. This morning a bear showed up and entered an unlocked car and helped itself to the person’s lunch.

We never leave food or trash outside nor do we have bird feeders. 
I don’t mind the bear being in the area but I’m not thrilled that it might associate our house with food now. 

Any thoughts on how to coexist? I’m afraid to send the dog out unless someone goes out with the dog. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

We have a bear that’s been showing up at our house outside Boone. We’ve been there 10 years and have never seen a bear until this July 4th and 6th. This morning a bear showed up and entered an unlocked car and helped itself to the person’s lunch.

I don’t mind the bear being in the area but I’m not thrilled that it might associate our house with food now. 

Any thoughts on how to coexist? I’m afraid to send the dog out unless someone goes out with the dog. 

Get some firecrackers. If you see the bear fire some in it's general direction and absolutely keep no food where it can get it. Hopefully the firecrackers will scare it away and it will not come back.

1 hour ago, landof2rivers said:

The only way to coexist is to accept what bears do. They don't have the ability to reason, they don't know that your car, your house, your bird feeders, your trash are off limits. To them, they're just trying to survive and it's free game!

Bear populations have exploded in the mountains because hardly anyone is hunting them anymore and until bear hunters are welcome again, it will continue to explode and human/bear interactions will continue to increase. That's just the harsh truth.

• Like 2

The big trough on the Euro is too far west and we get smoked with rain next week from multiple lows riding the front.

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The big trough on the Euro is too far west and we get smoked with rain next week from multiple lows riding the front.

It is west, but ENC and the Piedmont appear to the take the brunt of the rain right now. It'll be interesting to see if the westward trend continues however.

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

It is west, but ENC and the Piedmont appear to the take the brunt of the rain right now. It'll be interesting to see if the westward trend continues however.

The mountains took the brunt on today's run. 

qpf_acc.us_ma (20).png

8 hours ago, Met1985 said:

The euro is caving to the GFS with the trough coming through next week. 

Its going to come through but it's still going to rain an inch or 2 most likely. I dont see many 30s on any of the models but im sure some of the higher elevations will get there.  Doubt it's a widespread frost though the way it looks modeled