• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, August 2, 2020 Convective/Severe Potential

weatherwiz

A warm front approaches Sunday advecting rich llvl moisture/theta-e northward combined with increasing shear. Just south of the warm front near moderate instability is possible despite weak lapse rates given dewpoints surging well into the 70's. MLCAPE values could approach 2,000 J/KG...especially if there is enough sunshine. Combination of strong wind shear and moderate buoyancy will result in the development of scattered t'storms...including potential for supercell t'storms. The greatest risk will be damaging winds, however, forecast hodographs exhibit large/curved hodos so the threat for isolated tornadoes is possible. Despite the poor lapse rates this event has the chance to be a fairly decent severe event...although perhaps moreso across PA/NY, however, southwest SNE needs to watch closely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats NY state.

they typically tend to perform rather well in these setups...I suppose those some nasty cells could try and sneak into Fairfiled County...maybe into the Berkshires too? Anyways, given the degree of llvl instability combined with the look of the hodos that's enough to peak some excitement. Maybe I'll go chasing...if I find someone to go with. I don't like doing it alone

12z guidance is pretty impressive...gotta keep in mind the inhibiting factors though. If you follow Anthony Maisello on Twitter he's laid those out perfectly. Warming mid-level temps/capping and subsidence. Anyways, anytime you see theta-e values that rich combined with the degree of shear in place...you're eyes better be open.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

12z guidance is pretty impressive...gotta keep in mind the inhibiting factors though. If you follow Anthony Maisello on Twitter he's laid those out perfectly. Warming mid-level temps/capping and subsidence. Anyways, anytime you see theta-e values that rich combined with the degree of shear in place...you're eyes better be open.

Eye sewn shut 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah heights rise through the day. Nice shear/cape along the front just not sure we're going to get anything to form. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah heights rise through the day. Nice shear/cape along the front just not sure we're going to get anything to form. 

I could envision a scenario where convection tires to develop but it struggles to become deep enough to really utilize the ingredients...only exception may be right along the warm front. You can definitely see areas of warming aloft on various forecast soundings which is not very good to see. I kinda like northeast PA for anything. May see overlap of best ingredients occur there...plus some extra lift from the warm front. 

so... @weatherwiz is headed to N NY?

Day 1 Convective Outlook  
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1242 AM CDT Sun Aug 02 2020

Valid 021200Z - 031200Z

...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PARTS OF
   THE NORTHEAST...

...SUMMARY...
   Scattered strong storms, a few possibly severe, will be noted across
   the Northeast later today. Damaging winds are the primary threat.

...Northeast...

Weak mid-level disturbance will eject across the lower Great Lakes
   ahead of the main upper trough positioned farther west over the MS
   Valley. This lead feature should encourage a weak surface low to
   track from southern ON into southwest QC by mid evening. Any
   appreciable mid-level height falls will remain north of the
   international border, along with the primary large-scale mass
   response.

Early in the day1 period, deep convection will likely be ongoing
   within a corridor of low-level warm advection, along the nose of a
   pronounced LLJ. This LLJ will shift north across upstate NY into
   southern ON/QC during the afternoon hours as a surface warm front
   advances north of the border. At this time it appears the primary
   focus for sustained, organized deep convection will be noted
   immediately ahead of the surface low. Latest model guidance suggests
   strong boundary-layer heating will occur ahead of the surface low
   across western NY where temperatures should warm rapidly through the
   mid 80s. Renewed surface-based convection should evolve in the lee
   of Lake Ontario then track northeast. If the surface warm front were
   to be delayed advancing north into QC, low-level shear would be
   improved markedly across northern NY which would prove more
   supportive for supercells and tornadoes. Additionally, there is also
   some concern for strong convection along the trailing warm front
   that extends southeast across the Hudson Valley. While
   boundary-layer warming may not be as strong/focused as farther
   north, sustained warm advection and high PW-airmass should result in
   scattered strong convection. Forecast wind profiles favor some
   supercell threat, though clustering is also possible. Damaging winds
   should be the primary concern. 

Definitely could be an active day in SE NY and CT. Low level wind fields strengthen through the day and we're talking about 200-400 m2/s2 of 0-3km SRH. Plenty of CAPE behind the warm front as well. As long as convection can fire up (not a ton of a synoptic scale trigger) there is certainly a tornado threat.

This morning sort of reminds me of 7/1/2013. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Definitely could be an active day in SE NY and CT. Low level wind fields strengthen through the day and we're talking about 200-400 m2/s2 of 0-3km SRH. Plenty of CAPE behind the warm front as well. As long as convection can fire up (not a ton of a synoptic scale trigger) there is certainly a tornado threat.

This morning sort of reminds me of 7/1/2013. 

All the ingredients are certainly there. Almost kinda a good thing there isn’t a huge amount of lift...want to keep storms discrete. HRRR is wild but I think it’s warm front happy overdone