• Member Statistics

    15,884
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    bvmcode
    Newest Member
    bvmcode
    Joined
wolfie09

Upstate NY Coronavirus and Banter .

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thats all well and good but I don't imagine these players and teams want to volunteer their time and play sports for free.  Sports are built on income from ticket sales. Without it, sports cannot function.  The entire foundation is gone without the fans and money.  Not sure how this would ever really work.

NFL TV contracts are huge but NHL are not. NHL will be hurt quite badly without arena ticket sales and concessions. Ottawas owner is on the verge of bankruptcy and I'm sure there are a few others as well. Even Pegula is hurting quite bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Gyms are fully open in Florida. No mask required. A bunch of friends there are posting videos on instagram.

Idk man. Get some home weights lol. Gyms seem like a ripe place for big virus spread. Its why their last in NYS, more risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NFL TV contracts are huge but NHL are not. NHL will be hurt quite badly without arena ticket sales and concessions. Ottawas owner is on the verge of bankruptcy and I'm sure there are a few others as well. Even Pegula is hurting quite bad.

Yeah there’s no way this works for the NHL.  They need the gate.

The NFL contracts for TV and merchandising are so lucrative that they could make it work.

Not that they will be happy with the revenue hit either but they can make it work.

I don’t know much about baseball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Yeah there’s no way this works for the NHL.  They need the gate.

The NFL contracts for TV and merchandising are so lucrative that they could make it work.

Not that they will be happy with the revenue hit either but they can make it work.

I don’t know much about baseball.

 

Hockey is inside too. Probably more risky than a football stadium. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Hockey is inside too. Probably more risky than a football stadium. 

Plus the timing happened to be terrible for hockey.

So you resume some sort of abbreviated season end or playoffs now, in a couple of cities, with no fans present.

Right now the players are back at home so to even do that you have to reassemble the teams and start practicing and getting back in shape all over again before you can even play.

Who is going to watch that?

I'm a Sabres fan, used to disappointment with my team but I would still watch the playoffs every year.  This year I have zero interest in hockey.  It ended 2 months ago.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cny rider said:

Plus the timing happened to be terrible for hockey.

So you resume some sort of abbreviated season end or playoffs now, in a couple of cities, with no fans present.

Right now the players are back at home so to even do that you have to reassemble the teams and start practicing and getting back in shape all over again before you can even play.

Who is going to watch that?

I'm a Sabres fan, used to disappointment with my team but I would still watch the playoffs every year.  This year I have zero interest in hockey.  It ended 2 months ago.

 

 

Yeah me too, hard for me to get excited about hockey lately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Idk man. Get some home weights lol. Gyms seem like a ripe place for big virus spread. Its why their last in NYS, more risk. 

I'll be at the gym the first day its open. I've been working out at home for 2 months+ with 20 lb dumbells, a 65 lb bar, and HILT training. It just isn't the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'll be at the gym the first day its open. I've been working out at home for 2 months+ with 20 lb dumbells, a 65 lb bar, and HILT training. It just isn't the same.

So for discussions sake:

Let's say there were no formal government rules regarding re-opening the Gym.

What measures would you want in place to make you feel comfortable being there?

Masks?  Distancing?  Temperature check at the front door? Wipe downs on the equipment between users? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cny rider said:

So for discussions sake:

Let's say there were no formal government rules regarding re-opening the Gym.

What measures would you want in place to make you feel comfortable being there?

Masks?  Distancing?  Temperature check at the front door? Wipe downs on the equipment between users? 

 

I would be comfortable without any of that. In general people are being very respectful of personal space. Plus I have no more fear of contracting Covid than I do a flu or cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I would be comfortable without any of that. In general people are being very respectful of personal space. Plus I have no more fear of contracting Covid than I do a flu or cold.

I definitely can’t see people working out wearing masks. They feel restrictive to most people. Who wants to wear that while working out? I could see a temp check at the door and sanitizing wipes to wipe down equipment in between use, but on a personal preference level, like the shopping cart wipes when you go into a grocery store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I would be comfortable without any of that. In general people are being very respectful of personal space. 

Yep that's been my experience here as well.

We are now at almost 3 weeks without a new case diagnosis here (Otsego County).

I wear a mask as a courtesy to others when I'm out and about, not because I fear corona especially when I'm outdoors.

An enclosed space like a Gym with potentially lots of people, heavy breathing, sweating and touching the same equipment......I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm not a Gym person but the sports I do participate in, there's no way to wear a mask and still be able to breathe. 

Makes me a little more nervous.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I definitely can’t see people working out wearing masks. They feel restrictive to most people. Who wants to wear that while working out? I could see a temp check at the door and sanitizing wipes to wipe down equipment in between use, but on a personal preference level, like the shopping cart wipes when you go into a grocery store. 

I think it depends on the workout. I wouldn't be bothered much for lifting but cardio would be hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NFL TV contracts are huge but NHL are not. NHL will be hurt quite badly without arena ticket sales and concessions. Ottawas owner is on the verge of bankruptcy and I'm sure there are a few others as well. Even Pegula is hurting quite bad.

It's the point I made a few weeks back, not sure on this forum, but there will be retraction in 2 or 3 of the major sports. Think Florida Marlins, Florida Panthers, Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa senators, Arizona coyote...these teams could be in real trouble as they don't particularly have a strong fan base or longevity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cny rider said:

So for discussions sake:

Let's say there were no formal government rules regarding re-opening the Gym.

What measures would you want in place to make you feel comfortable being there?

Masks?  Distancing?  Temperature check at the front door? Wipe downs on the equipment between users? 

 

I feel like people are going to clean their machines and try to keep their distance after 3-4 months of no gym. Even if they aren't I'll be cleaning my equipment after use as I always have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think it depends on the workout. I wouldn't be bothered much for lifting but cardio would be hell.

Cardio with a mask would be good training for my Kilimanjaro hike. It's summer though, so I won't be doing much cardio indoors. Most people in summer only weight train at the gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NFL TV contracts are huge but NHL are not. NHL will be hurt quite badly without arena ticket sales and concessions. Ottawas owner is on the verge of bankruptcy and I'm sure there are a few others as well. Even Pegula is hurting quite bad.

The NFL might be able to limp along for awhile on TV advertising, but I just read that 50 percent of stadium ticket sales are used to pay the athletes salaries.  Seems like something would have to give to make that work if it went on all season.  Additionally, advertising dollars will be in short supply as we enter the depression.  A 2020 football season seems to be in jeopardy in my opinion.  :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fiancee along with other teachers  had a meeting with the principal  the other day to discuss the plan moving forward.

 

The principal  said there is going to be budget cuts in September and some teachers might get laid off.

 

I hope she doesn't get cut 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

My fiancee along with other teachers  had a meeting with the principal  the other day to discuss the plan moving forward.

 

The principal  said there is going to be budget cuts in September and some teachers might get laid off.

 

I hope she doesn't get cut 

Good luck to her. What district?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MJO812 said:

My fiancee along with other teachers  had a meeting with the principal  the other day to discuss the plan moving forward.

 

The principal  said there is going to be budget cuts in September and some teachers might get laid off.

 

I hope she doesn't get cut 

Man that stinks. Yet another longer term ripple effect of this shut down.  My wife is also a teacher and we’re curious to see what happens next school year, both in terms of position cuts and the overall school schedule/mechanics of going to school.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp...decided to go get the antibody test for the family Sunday.  Took 1 hr to get an appointment at a local urgent care which surprised me.  I thought tests were in short supply.  Nope.  Place was empty.  No questions asked either.  No copay.  

Results come back ...my 14 YO came up with the anti body.  My wife and I did not.  Weird.  So we went back and got the swab test to see if we an active infection.  No red alert symptoms or anything, maybe tired and allergy type stuff if anything.  Will report back.  

My son lost taste for a few weeks but no other symptoms.  

If you get the nose swab..it sucks.  

I do know 2 other families where 1 person positive with the infection, and NO one else tested positive for the infection or anti bodies.  Jives with what’s happening in my house, but doesn’t jive with what I hear from news and what I should expect.  Weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy needs to make up his mind.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause ‘irreparable damage’'

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/dr-anthony-fauci-says-staying-closed-for-too-long-could-cause-irreparable-damage.html

10 days ago- "Dr. Fauci reportedly to testify reopening too early risks ‘needless suffering and death’ from coronavirus"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/coronavirus-dr-fauci-warns-reopening-too-early-risks-needless-suffering-and-death.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This guy needs to make up his mind.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause ‘irreparable damage’'

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/dr-anthony-fauci-says-staying-closed-for-too-long-could-cause-irreparable-damage.html

10 days ago- "Dr. Fauci reportedly to testify reopening too early risks ‘needless suffering and death’ from coronavirus"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/coronavirus-dr-fauci-warns-reopening-too-early-risks-needless-suffering-and-death.html

Meh I think that if you read everything he said in both of those articles he doesnt contradict himself. The media needs to sell clicks so the headlines are pulled are going to grab your attention but dont tell the whole story. Here's an excerpt from the first article with the headline saying staying closed down too long could cause irreparable damage. The second part of this is basically what he says in the other article from ten days ago as well.

 

“I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go,” Fauci said during an interview with CNBC’s Meg Tirrell on “Halftime Report.”

 

He said the U.S. had to institute severe measures because Covid-19 cases were exploding then. “But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”

However, Fauci also cautioned states against reducing social distancing measures too quickly, adding they must take “very significant precautions.”

“In general, I think most of the country is doing it in a prudent way,” he said. “There are obviously some situations where people might be jumping over that. I just say please proceed with caution if you’re going to do that.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Meh I think that if you read everything he said in both of those articles he doesnt contradict himself. The media needs to sell clicks so the headlines are pulled are going to grab your attention but dont tell the whole story. Here's an excerpt from the first article with the headline saying staying closed down too long could cause irreparable damage. The second part of this is basically what he says in the other article from ten days ago as well.

 

“I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go,” Fauci said during an interview with CNBC’s Meg Tirrell on “Halftime Report.”

 

He said the U.S. had to institute severe measures because Covid-19 cases were exploding then. “But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”

However, Fauci also cautioned states against reducing social distancing measures too quickly, adding they must take “very significant precautions.”

“In general, I think most of the country is doing it in a prudent way,” he said. “There are obviously some situations where people might be jumping over that. I just say please proceed with caution if you’re going to do that.”

Definitely click bait. But issued by the same provider 10 days apart. Just goes to show you how the media manipulates things. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's everyone's predictions about what happens the next few months when everything opens up? A huge spike? Small Spike? Gradual decline? Do you think fall features round 2?

I watched an interview with a doctor where he said we have never made a successful vaccine for a respiratory virus before...ever

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

So what's everyone's predictions about what happens the next few months when everything opens up? A huge spike? Small Spike? Gradual decline? Do you think fall features round 2?

I watched an interview with a doctor where he said we have never made a successful vaccine for a respiratory virus before...ever

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

I think sharp spikes followed by lockdowns followed by protests. I think it’ll be cyclical for the next couple years. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NBA has entered into exploratory conversations with the Walt Disney Company about restarting the remainder of its season at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida, in late July, NBA spokesperson Mike Bass said Saturday.

"The NBA, in conjunction with the National Basketball Players Association, is engaged in exploratory conversations with The Walt Disney Company about restarting the 2019-20 NBA season in late July at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida as a single site for an NBA campus for games, practices and housing," Bass said. "Our priority continues to be the health and safety of all involved, and we are working with public health experts and government officials on a comprehensive set of guidelines to ensure that appropriate medical protocols and protections are in place."

It remains unclear whether the NBA will play the remainder of its regular season or proceed directly to the playoffs. But the 220-acre ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, with its three arenas and ample hotel accommodations, would allow the league to restart play while limiting outside exposures.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday that the NBA has a board of governors call set for next Friday, which is expected to provide additional details for teams on a timetable and plan to proceed with the season. Teams are expecting the league to instruct them to start recalling players to their team's markets around June 1.

The NBA is discussing a step-by-step plan for a resumption of the 2019-2020 season that includes an initial two-week recall of players into team marketplaces for a period of quarantine, one to two weeks of individual workouts at team facilities and a two-to-three-week formal training camp, Wojnarowski reported. Barring an unforeseen turn of events, many NBA owners, executives and NBPA elders believe commissioner Adam Silver will greenlight the return to play in June -- with games expected to resume sometime before the end of July, sources said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus deaths in New York state have fallen below 100, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Saturday, marking the lowest daily death toll from the virus since March 24. 

The governor said the 84 new reported deaths was a "tragedy" but that the downward trend in daily deaths was a sign that the state is making significant progress. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/23/new-york-coronavirus-fatalities-fall-to-lowest-level-since-march.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.