• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CNN really is fake news, just reading this is facepalm

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/stock-market-news-050820/index.html

Headline- Here's why growing paychecks is bad news

American paychecks just got a whole lot bigger. That's not the great news you'd expect it to be.

Hourly wages were up 4.7% from March to April, significantly higher than the 0.3% average monthly increase from the previous 12 months.

Paychecks grew by nearly 8% from a year ago, way more than the average 3.5% yearly increase Americans have been getting over the past year.

The reason for the giant pay increase was a negative one: So many people in lower-paying services jobs have been among the first to get laid off or furloughed.

Paycheck growth was a strange quirk in the jobs report: More high-income earners stayed in their jobs than low-income workers, skewing the wage data higher.

Clark Griswold GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CNN really is fake news, just reading this is facepalm

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/stock-market-news-050820/index.html

Headline- Here's why growing paychecks is bad news

American paychecks just got a whole lot bigger. That's not the great news you'd expect it to be.

Hourly wages were up 4.7% from March to April, significantly higher than the 0.3% average monthly increase from the previous 12 months.

Paychecks grew by nearly 8% from a year ago, way more than the average 3.5% yearly increase Americans have been getting over the past year.

The reason for the giant pay increase was a negative one: So many people in lower-paying services jobs have been among the first to get laid off or furloughed.

Paycheck growth was a strange quirk in the jobs report: More high-income earners stayed in their jobs than low-income workers, skewing the wage data higher.

How much $ are those low-income workers making on unemployment now, compared to their working salaries?

The Unemployment Rate Is 15 Percent. Here’s Why the Stock Market Doesn’t Mind.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/us-unemployment-rate-jobs-report-stock-market-dow.html

I think theyre getting ahead of themselves. The corporate tax rate on large corporations would have to get higher pretty quick, possibly double to sustain the free handouts. Right now the unemployed are pretty comfortable due to the stimulus handouts. When consumer spending falls off a cliff because the handouts stop then the stocks will fall.

• Like 3

So we had the lowest unemployment levels of all time and overall wage growth up 8% over a year ago but it's a bad thing? (Before COVID)

The way I read it was that they're saying that its up 8% because lower income workers were laid off, skewing the average/median upwards.

5 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think theyre getting ahead of themselves. The corporate tax rate on large corporations would have to get higher pretty quick, possibly double to sustain the free handouts. Right now the unemployed are pretty comfortable due to the stimulus handouts. When consumer spending falls off a cliff because the handouts stop then the stocks will fall.

I'm worried about corporate earnings the next few quarters. A lot of large companies are going to be reporting substantial negative profits. 

Are not most low income earners still working? Grocery stores, most retail stores, and most restaurants (take out)

I think all of the non essential manufacturing and service out weigh that. Plus strategically as a company its easier to replace 5 employees each making 50k a year than the guy managing them making 100k a year, and more cost effective. 

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

So we had the lowest unemployment levels of all time and overall wage growth up 8% over a year ago but it's a bad thing? (Before COVID)

The current situation does a great job highlighting just how lousy the pay and raises are for the service and GIG industry.  The safer higher paying jobs got 8% raises since last year (the only jobs left to measure against right now). 

Ask all those GIG employees how big their raise was in the last year (excluding the current COVID crisis).  Probably closer to 1% if anything at all. It's a brutal system in this country. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Because unemployment levels were at historic lows before this virus. Not relating to this survey. Obviously UI rates are now at historic highs. 

You didn't read that properly. The wage gains specifically between March and April are fake good news. The wage gains previously were decent...

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Are not most low income earners still working? Grocery stores, most retail stores, and most restaurants (take out)

That take out is a mere fraction of the employee. Think of all the bartenders, servers in all restaurants, baristas etc...they all earn 4 to 5 an hour plus tips. Those workers are making much more than they would be if they were working full shifts. 

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Cuomo just said the numbers  in upstate NY are way better than downstate and he doesn't think the numbers will change alot going forward for downstate NY so basically  downstate have to wait a little longer

Do you think upstate NY will get extended again into June. What bothers me is that state of PA and Ohio got extended again into June and NY haven't when upstate NY has more cases than PA and Ohio. 

So I was forced to go to the hospital yesterday due to GI distress as well as shortness of breath..I new it wasn't covid but I still had to go through a special area..I was diagnosed with gastritis as my stomach lining is inflamed and almost feels swollen, this is causing me to be out of breath doing regular house hold chores as well as trouble taking full breaths...It could take up to 10 weeks to fully heal..I have Probably already lost a good 10 pounds as I have no appetite and been living off oatmeal and milk kefir lol Chamomile tea seems to be some good relief as well..It's nearly impossible for me to lay on my back as it is hard to breath.. Needless to say I need to stay away from coronavirus as long as I can..

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

So I was forced to go to the hospital yesterday due to GI distress as well as shortness of breath..I new it wasn't covid but I still had to go through a special area..I was diagnosed with gastritis as my stomach lining is inflamed and almost feels swollen, this is causing me to be out of breath doing regular house hold chores as well as trouble taking full breaths...It could take up to 10 weeks to fully heal..I have Probably already lost a good 10 pounds as I have no appetite and been living off oatmeal and milk kefir lol Chamomile tea seems to be some good relief as well..It's nearly impossible for me to lay on my back as it is hard to breath.. Needless to say I need to stay away from coronavirus as long as I can..

My cousin has crohns disease and previously had IBS. Such a brutal illness. He has certain foods that trigger it, so his diet has to be very strict. It's a tough situation to constantly have to track everything and be near a bathroom at all times throughout the day.

12 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Wolfie I would be asking more questions about your diagnosis.

Strictly speaking, gastritis shouldn't be causing the respiratory symptoms you are having.

I hope you have a primary care Doctor/Nurse you can follow up with.

Feel better.

Yeah it sucks bro..

I have gerd and about 3/4 of the food chain is off limits..My issue is smoking which really irritates it as well as caffeine, especially coffee ..I gave that up about a month ago.. Can't eat any spicy food, dairy, chocolate, sugars, fried foods, caffeine, tomato products, mint, etc lol 

I'm supposed to eat all bland foods like rice, oatmeal, yogurt etc lol

I have seen many swear that milk Kefir cures IBS better than any drugs, some within a week!!!

It's an extremely powerful probiotic , store bought has about 30-40 billion good bacteria in each cup, homemade could have trillions!!! Bad bacteria can not live in kerfi.. Usually has anywhere between 12-30 different strains..You should tell him to give it a try...

• Like 1

Just now, cny rider said:

Wolfie I would be asking more questions about your diagnosis.

Strictly speaking, gastritis shouldn't be causing the respiratory symptoms you are having.

I hope you have a primary care Doctor/Nurse you can follow up with.

Feel better.

Acid reflux does cause shortness of breath, just Google it my friend.. Gastritis is even worse it inflames the lining of the stomach, feeling like"pressure" , it's because I don't have full use of the diaphragm Which is what's causing the issue..

Acid reflux cause"asthma" like symptoms as the acids back up into the esophagus, it can even cause inflammation of the lungs..

Shortness of breath, also called dyspnea, occurs with GERD because stomach acid that creeps into the esophagus can enter the lungs, particularly during sleep, and cause swelling of the airways. ... Such airway damage can affect breathing by causing coughing or wheezing.

Abdominal bloating can affect the diaphragm, a muscular partition between the chest and abdomen. The diaphragm assists in breathing, which means bloating can lead to shortness of breath. This happens if the pressure in the abdomen is enough to restrict the movement of the diaphragm.

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah it sucks bro..

I have gerd and about 3/4 of the food chain is off limits..My issue is smoking which really irritates it as well as caffeine, especially coffee ..I gave that up about a month ago.. Can't eat any spicy food, dairy, chocolate, sugars, fried foods, caffeine, tomato products, mint, etc lol 

I'm supposed to eat all bland foods like rice, oatmeal, yogurt etc lol

I have seen many swear that milk Kefir cures IBS better than any drugs, some within a week!!!

It's an extremely powerful probiotic , store bought has about 30-40 billion good bacteria in each cup, homemade could have trillions!!! Bad bacteria can not live in kerfi.. Usually has anywhere between 12-30 different strains..You should tell him to give it a try...

I take probiotics on the daily for the last few years. Haven't had any stomach issues since I started.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Acid reflux cause"asthma" like symptoms as the acids back up into the esophagus, it can even cause inflammation of the lungs..

Shortness of breath, also called dyspnea, occurs with GERD because stomach acid that creeps into the esophagus can enter the lungs, particularly during sleep, and cause swelling of the airways. ... Such airway damage can affect breathing by causing coughing or wheezing.

Abdominal bloating can affect the diaphragm, a muscular partition between the chest and abdomen. The diaphragm assists in breathing, which means bloating can lead to shortness of breath. This happens if the pressure in the abdomen is enough to restrict the movement of the diaphragm.

Dr. Google says lots of things....but the symptoms you are describing are worrisome.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

Good read.

What if we can't find a cure quickly?

"The search for a vaccine is a moonshot, and it may work. After all, America did put a man on the moon. But we can’t keep the economy in lockdown while we wait. The purpose of the lockdown was not to prevent every American from getting COVID-19, Roy says, but to prevent our health care system from being overwhelmed. “We’ve done that,” he says. “It’s time to stop annihilating the economy."

https://www.journalnow.com/opinion/columnists/marc-a-thiessen-what-if-we-cant-find-a-cure-quickly/article_7426e4f2-8fb9-5e39-a214-e88b43093b2d.html

A vaccine may not even happen, and if it does could takes years. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/health/coronavirus-vaccine-never-developed-intl/index.html

"There are some viruses that we still do not have vaccines against," says Dr. David Nabarro, a professor of global health at Imperial College London. "We can't make an absolute assumption that a vaccine will appear at all, or if it does appear, whether it will pass all the tests of efficacy and safety.

Most experts remain confident that a Covid-19 vaccine will eventually be developed; in part because, unlike previous diseases like HIV and malaria, the coronavirus does not mutate rapidly.

But even if a vaccine is developed, bringing it to fruition in any of those timeframes would be a feat never achieved before. "We've never accelerated a vaccine in a year to 18 months."

In 1984, the US Secretary of Health and Human Services Margaret Heckler announced at a press conference in Washington, DC, that scientists had successfully identified the virus that later became known as HIV -- and predicted that a preventative vaccine would be ready for testing in two years.

Nearly four decades and 32 million deaths later, the world is still waiting for an HIV vaccine.

"An effective vaccine for dengue fever, which infects as many as 400,000 people a year according to the WHO, has eluded doctors for decades. In 2017, a large-scale effort to find one was suspended after it was found to worsen the symptoms of the disease."

Similarly, it's been very difficult to develop vaccines for the common rhinoviruses and adenoviruses -- which, like coronaviruses, can cause cold symptoms. There's just one vaccine to prevent two strains of adenovirus, and it's not commercially available.

"The lockdown is not sustainable economically, and possibly not politically," says Neal. "So we need other things to control it."

That means that, as countries start to creep out of their paralyses, experts would push governments to implement an awkward new way of living and interacting to buy the world time in the months, years or decades until Covid-19 can be eliminated by a vaccine.
  • Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic