• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 hour ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

Could change but there really isn't any snow there right now. 

They didn't get much and then the warmup melted what was left. 

The parks in the clarence/akron area have snow still, I took the dogs for a hike at Tillman Wildlife Preserve Sunday and there were XC skiers. We got a solid2-3" last night on top of what was left over from the lake effect. 

Thanks I’ll check those areas out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If the pats win I hope I’m too drunk to remember it and I wake up forgetting what happened the night before. Current tailgate has 20 people so far and growing gonna be insane 

Think of all the last minute model mayhem and wasted energy you'll be missing if the Monday storm actually looks real by then. ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Had a great ski at Breia today.

Fresh powder on a firm base.

It was -9F when I started out and warmed up to 0F when I left around 1:00.

I think this is my latest ever for first XC ski day of the winter.

IMG_2710.jpg

Cool!  Where is that?

Edit:  I stopped being lazy and looked it up.  I have seen the trails in Boonville but didn’t realize how extensive the trail network is!  Do you mountain bike there in the summer?  Would I dare take my capable 8yr old to check it out? 

1 minute ago, winter_rules said:

Cool!  Where is that?

Just south of Boonville in Alder Creek (southern Tug Hill plateau).

http://www.breiax-countryski.org

Amazing place.  Abundant snowfall, no user fee, well maintained trails.  Sort of a mystery how it's funded.

There are several areas to it.  We ski the Egypt Road trails the most.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cny rider said:

Buffalo area crew any intel you can share on the snowpack situation around Chestnut Ridge park?

We are coming out for a long weekend sports doubleheader.  Bills Saturday night and Sabres Monday afternoon.

I was thinking of taking the kids sledding and/or XC skiing there on Sunday.

Is there any snow?

Any other suggestions for a family with 3 young teen daughters appreciated.:)

We are already planning skating and curling Sunday morning at Canalside.

Snowpack is toast.  Few ripe days above freezing will finish off the last few hiding spots.  Most of the park activities are no go with current conditions.   Lot of cool places you can still go hike around but the frozen mud tundra?  No thanks.  Hate to say January is a pretty boring month here but add it no snow and yeah really nothing going on.  Canalside and Riverworks are neat areas to keep you busy.  Not sure if your looking just for outdoor activities?  The falls are really cool to see when it gets this cold out, everything is in cased in ice.  Should look awesome after the Saturday single digits day.  Any other interests for recommendations?

F5A938E4-71C5-4648-B0E0-6A1087A94008.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You guys have to get rid of Daniel Jones, he sucks and was over drafted by quite a bit.

They picked Jones way too high.  I want to like him but yeah...I just don't think he has what it takes.  Turnover machine and he is going to get popped one day given how much he runs.  I still prefer a dropback type passer like Brady or Rodgers.  I know that makes me a football dinosaur lol.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

They picked Jones way too high.  I want to like him but yeah...I just don't think he has what it takes.  Turnover machine and he is going to get popped one day given how much he runs.  I still prefer a dropback type passer like Brady or Rodgers.  I know that makes me a football dinosaur lol.  

I'm with you on 'Danny Dimes' but to be fair the NYG offense (and esp OL and coaches decision making) have been brutally bad in his era. Barkley is injured a lot (another 1st rounder largely wasted) and receivers spotty at best.  Hard to fully assess but I do think we've seen enough to know he isn't the long term QB solution. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I'm with you on 'Danny Dimes' but to be fair the NYG offense (and esp OL and coaches decision making) have been brutally bad in his era. Barkley is injured a lot (another 1st rounder largely wasted) and receivers spotty at best.  Hard to fully assess but I do think we've seen enough to know he isn't the long term QB solution. 

Agreed.  Football is the ultimate team game, so it's not fair to lay this all at his feet.  You especially need the line play to be there on both sides of the ball.  If you can't rush the passer and protect your quarterback or create holes for your backs, you're in trouble.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cny rider said:

Thanks Steve really appreciate that info.

I'm thinking the frozen Falls and a stop at the aquarium up there would be a nice Sunday.

I love the Science Museum too but the kids are getting too teenaged for it to be cool!

If the kids are old enough hiking the gorge is one of coolest experiences in WNY. Head to Whirlpool park, the views from the top are breathtaking and there are stairs carved in stone to take you down to the whirlpool.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

B72539F4-CC6A-4554-B561-8ACB7BE39C0C.thumb.jpeg.c36606edc80db44ad5d9672cb9ae1e98.jpeglol tell him to put his $ where his mouth is!  Anyone else try the ceaser sports book app yet?  If your in NY they give you a free $300 to start your account with.  Made some random off the wall bets for Sunday and actually hit one of the prop bets for $315.  

I still might do my reverse psychology bet. Bet on pats to win so it’s a win/win for me 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

B72539F4-CC6A-4554-B561-8ACB7BE39C0C.thumb.jpeg.c36606edc80db44ad5d9672cb9ae1e98.jpeglol tell him to put his $ where his mouth is!  Anyone else try the ceaser sports book app yet?  If your in NY they give you a free $300 to start your account with.  Made some random off the wall bets for Sunday and actually hit one of the prop bets for $315.  

The real question is what did you spend your $60 on?

Downloading app now...

I downloaded fan duel and bet $25 on the bills to win by 41 or more. I think McDermot hates Bellichik.

I actually used to be friends with Kevin Williams, on social media- we’d chat about storms etc, but he blocked me for posting NOA data regarding global warming in opposition to one of his tirades. I totally respect his right to an educated opinion but I can’t stand his smugness and absolute intolerance for other opinions. The guy is a grade A snob. 
Great forecaster though. Probably the best in the region. 
But you gotta ask yourself what kind of guy throws away multiple high profile positions because he can’t keep politics out of meteorology? The guys a meteorologist- not a climate scientist. Turns out having an extreme right wing position on global warming and it’s causes doesn’t play well when people mostly just want to know if it’s going to rain. 
IDK. Maybe it’s principled and he just couldn’t take it but when all of your political views are also MAGA views, you kind of show your hand. 
Glad to hear he likes this storm for the region. 

• Like 1

Anyone care to share some Bills game advice for tomorrow?

This will be my first in person game in many years, and my 2 daughters 11 and 13 are coming for their first game.

I think we will be dressed warm enough.

We are staying downtown next to Canalside.

I'm thinking of leaving the hotel at 1800, which should have us pulling in to Orchard Park by 6:30.

I am going to come in on Big Tree Road from the west.  We are entering the stadium through Gate 1.

Are there good places to park coming in from that direction or should I just stick with the Bills stadium lots? I was thinking Lot 1.

We don't mind a few minutes extra walking.

Is my timing right or should we be arriving in OP earlier?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I actually used to be friends with Kevin Williams, on social media- we’d chat about storms etc, but he blocked me for posting NOA data regarding global warming in opposition to one of his tirades. I totally respect his right to an educated opinion but I can’t stand his smugness and absolute intolerance for other opinions. The guy is a grade A snob. 
Great forecaster though. Probably the best in the region. 
But you gotta ask yourself what kind of guy throws away multiple high profile positions because he can’t keep politics out of meteorology? The guys a meteorologist- not a climate scientist. Turns out having an extreme right wing position on global warming and it’s causes doesn’t play well when people mostly just want to know if it’s going to rain. 
IDK. Maybe it’s principled and he just couldn’t take it but when all of your political views are also MAGA views, you kind of show your hand. 
Glad to hear he likes this storm for the region. 

Can't we all just get along... ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

This will be my first in person game in many years, and my 2 daughters 11 and 13 are coming for their first game.

I'm thinking of leaving the hotel at 1800, which should have us pulling in to Orchard Park by 6:30.

I am going to come in on Big Tree Road from the west.  We are entering the stadium through Gate 1.

Are there good places to park coming in from that direction or should I just stick with the Bills stadium lots? I was thinking Lot 1.

The last three games the lots have been pretty empty when we've walked in 2 hours to kickoff, should have no problem parking in the stadium lots. Only downside to stadium lots is getting out after.

As far as warmth unless you're in the clubs there is no where to warm up, make sure to pack chemical warmers and mittens. 

I think your timing sounds right if you're not in the clubs. I would hang out at/in the car till maybe an hour before kickoff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Rooting for BUF to beat the Pats. Because who likes New England?

Nobody. Nobody likes New England.

Bills all the way.  I'm a Giants fan, so I don't think my team will be in the playoffs for awhile.  I'd love to see Buffalo's fan base celebrate a championship.  Beating the Pats in the playoffs would mean a lot for them as well.  If not the Bills, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals make a run.  I like Joe Burrow and t's been a long time for those fans also.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

Dress really really warm. The hammer lot is a good place to tailgate and you can get in and out relatively easy the last few games but might be an issue this time around. I usually park at a friends house and walk over. There are a few restaurants within walking distance to go to if you want to warm up/pregame. Oneils, Prohibition, Dannys, Big tree inn are all good spots. If you're at lot 1 dannys would be the closest place. 

• Like 1