Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, Powerball said:

CDC chief says Michigan should ‘shut things down,’ vaccinating alone won’t stop Covid surge

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/12/covid-shutdown-cdc-chief-says-vaccinating-alone-wont-stop-michigan-covid-surge.html

Seems like both should be done. I think its silly that the US is not surging vaccines in Michigan.

7 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

My 80% was in reference to this summer, because in your post I quoted, you said people were silly to expects no masks by "the summer".

I didn't call anyone silly. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said it was completely unrealistic, and given that *ALL* people won't even be close to *FULLY* vaccinated by the Summer, my opinion still stands that the idea we'll be maskless by the Summer is completely unrealistic. 

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Seems like both should be done. I think its silly that the US is not surging vaccines in Michigan.

The vaccines are being distributed according to population. If more are sent to Michigan, then other states would get fewer doses. Also, even if they sent more vaccines, it wouldn't do anything to stop the surge now since it takes two weeks before it provides immunity. 

That said, the Biden administration has taken other action to help with Michigan's surge in COVID cases:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/biden-to-rush-vaccinators-to-michigan-as-gov-urges-limits/2483025/

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I didn't call anyone silly. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said it was completely unrealistic, and given that *ALL* people won't even be close to *FULLY* vaccinated by the Summer, my opinion still stands that the idea we'll be maskless by the Summer is completely unrealistic. 

Saying something is "completely unrealistic" is equivalent to saying it's silly. You're arguing semantics.

See how easy it is to disagree with someone without making accusations of "pseudoscience", bad faith, and ill intentions?

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

The vaccines are being distributed according to population. If more are sent to Michigan, then other states would get fewer doses. Also, even if they sent more vaccines, it wouldn't do anything to stop the surge now since it takes two weeks before it provides immunity. 

That said, the Biden administration has taken other action to help with Michigan's surge in COVID cases:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/biden-to-rush-vaccinators-to-michigan-as-gov-urges-limits/2483025/

From a public health standpoint you'll save more lives if you surge vaccines to hot spots now rather than just generally vaccinating by population. Other public health people have been suggesting it. It also takes time for NPIs to stop a surge. 

22 minutes ago, Powerball said:

You said I called *PEOPLE* silly, which was another lie.

Why do you insist on spreading more falsehoods and moving goal posts?

No, I said "people WERE silly", meaning people WERE unrealistic, which is the same as "it is unrealistic" or "it is silly". They're interchangeable phrases you dolt. 

Again, you came into this thread and didn't get the standing ovation you were expecting, and now you're arguing semantics in an attempt to save face but actually just embarrassing yourself further. 

Of all the buffoons that have served as the squeaky wheel in this thread, you've got to be the biggest. 

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled "propaganda." 

1 minute ago, StormfanaticInd said:

If I was the governor of Michigan I would just step down. She is in a no win situation 

None of the other governors stepped down when they made alleged missteps with their handling of the virus. I don't think we should hold Whitmer to such a standard either. 

1 minute ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Situation is starting to become dire. Smh Haven't had to say that word in a while. Not good

There's still not a lot of explanations that make sense for what's going on there... I know people have said variants are responsible but aren't the variants everywhere now?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Yeah. Being kind and assuming they're joking, it's definitely in poor taste and uncalled for.

If more masks are advised to protect against variants, why is this uncalled for?   Sure, I disagree with it, but that's besides the point. 

18 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Wrong. Companies are moving along with their people en masse down to the South. How do I know this? Because I’m one of those people lol and so are many of my friends. The sun belt migration is on full bore here.

Talent wants to live in cool places with nice weather, it’s why Nashville, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta, Birmingham, Tampa, Austin, Dallas are absolutely exploding. Then factor in that these companies are moving factories here to avoid unions and opening up downtown offices for their white collar personnel in a more business tax friendly climate. Cap that off with a more friendly weather climate and you’ve got a boomtown.

Sorry about the OT rant, feel free to delete Hoosier

it's mostly because real estate is cheaper down there, not because they're "cool places with nice weather".  i know many people who moved to atlanta, dallas and charlotte after living in the northeast cities or chicago.   the only reason was to buy a single family house without spending two million dollars.  otherwise they find the vibe down there pretty boring in comparison.

9 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Wouldn’t it be ironic if a bunch of businesses moved to Florida and Texas for things conservatives like, such as low taxes and warm climates, then brought in a bunch of young, educated, liberal talent and flipped 67 electoral votes in the process?

that already happened in georgia and arizona.  it's going to happen to nc shortly.  and it'll probably happen to texas in ten years.  people's political leanings these days are correlated to their age (generation) and education levels.

• Like 2

yes, you can get covid after getting vaccinated.  so if 100 million have been vaccinated and its 95% effective, we should expect 5 million of those people to still get covid.  i think the idea is that the vaccines keep things manageable.

variants are going to be problematic for a few years, because parts of the world probably won't get fully vaccinated until later in 2022, and who knows what new variants will come from places with uncontrolled spread.

• Like 1

Another new study that shows how important health is to Covid risk. We've already known that people that have risk factors (like obesity and type 2 diabetes) are at greater risk of developing severe Covid and being hospitalized if they catch the virus, but this study shows that they are also at greater risk of just catching the virus to begin with. They looked at a large group of people and compared the health of people that tested positive and tested negative. People that tested positive were more likely to have obesity and type 2 diabetes, while people that tested negative were more likely to be normal body weight and have high levels of HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). So this is very important information. Getting yourself very healthy through diet and exercise not only reduces risk of severe Covid but also reduces risk of catching the virus. The cholesterol part of it is interesting. One thing we know is exercise greatly increases levels of the good HDL cholesterol. This study is just another example of how exercise is protective against Covid. Of course getting vaccinated is the best protection, but for people that are not vaccinated it's very important to get into better shape if you want to reduce Covid risk.  Anyway here is the article...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-04-factors-linked-covid-infection.html