• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sereinwriter
    Newest Member
    sereinwriter

Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Pfizer is eyeing full FDA approval pretty soon.

The pair’s mRNA vaccine is 91.3% effective against symptomatic COVID-19 disease as measured in people who have been immunized with the second dose of the shot for up to six months, the companies said Thursday.

The new efficacy data, plus a safety analysis comprising data from more than 12,000 people who were fully immunized for at least six months, allow the companies to file a drug application with the FDA to turn the shot’s emergency use authorization into a full approval, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla, Ph.D., said in a statement.

The efficacy level is slightly down from the 95% number the vaccine first posted in the trial. With those data, Pfizer secured an FDA emergency use authorization in December. Since that initial analysis, more COVID-19 cases have accrued, increasing to 927 as of March 13 from the previous 170.

Of the total cases, investigators recorded 850 in the placebo group compared with 77 in the vaccine cohort. Thirty-two severe COVID-19 cases were recorded, all in the placebo group, translating into a 100% efficacy against severe disease for the vaccine.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfizer-biontech-eye-official-covid-19-vaccine-nod-as-efficacy-stands-strong-including

This may be due to more real world variant exposure...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

What's starting? 

The "passports", or at least the discussion of implementing them very soon.

21 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I think a "passport" though by definition would be something that is required for international travel, or for certain privileges at the federal level (access to airports or Amtrak trains, for example). Surely individual businesses should be able to decide if they will require proof of vaccination for entry, the same as they could flout shutdown orders or declare themselves "mask-free zones" in the name of running their business as they see fit?

Not the same thing.

I live in an area with a decent amount of people of color, and I can't remember the last time I saw one without a mask.  

I'm going to guess that access to a mask is easier than access to a vaccine at present.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not the same thing.

I live in an area with a decent amount of people of color, and I can't remember the last time I saw one without a mask.  

I'm going to guess that access to a mask is easier than access to a vaccine at present.

Oh, I'm sure it is. I don't disagree on that at all.

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not the same thing.

Problem is, they wear the same masks for weeks at  a time. Take the masks away,  cases drop. Becoming pretty clear that the personal bacteria  farms are detrimental 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 6

4 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

Problem is, they wear the same masks for weeks at  a time. Take the masks away,  cases drop. Becoming pretty clear that the personal bacteria  farms are detrimental 

Even if we pretend the masks are “personal bacteria farms,” please do explain how bacteria are at all related to covid. I’ll wait.

• Like 1

Michigan hitting another high today. I think it’s extremely apparent that this partial lockdown stuff just does not work. You either do what we did last Spring, or open everything up and require masks.

What’s happening in that state is the equivalent of hiding in the bathtub with an EF4 coming for you

2 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

Masks weaken your immune system.  In turn you're more likely to catch anything that comes along, CCP virus included

You’re plenty good at discrediting anything you have to say without even having to use terms like “CCP virus,” no need to add that.

Ron Watkins would be proud of you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

I'm in favor of open discussion in here but even I am tired of your posts.  Not a good thing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

Yep, nasty bacteria from a used mask.

27 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

Okay then. Explain how masks are helping covid-19 cases decrease and where is this occurring? 

If you can't understand why wearing a mask properly for a respiratory  pathogen helps to prevent infection then I don't think there's much help for you. 

Would you go into a known heavily infected person's room without a high quality mask? I sure as hell wouldnt. How do you explain how the many physicians and nurses treating highly infected covid patients not getting infected? The masks cause people to get weakened immune systems and cause them to get covid,  that's your claim, right? Once we got proper ppe protocols in hospitals, providers stopped getting covid,  why is that?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Nickysixes said:

Okay then. Explain how masks are helping covid-19 cases decrease and where is this occurring? 

You are the one going on about masks causing more covid cases.  How about this.  Show us examples of places that were surging in cases, then implemented a mask mandate, and continued to surge in cases more than a few weeks after.

Masks reduce transmission.  They cause a decrease in cases or will at least help to slow down an increase.  For all we know, Michigan could be averaging over 10k cases per day right now without masking.  

Could somebody have covid on the outside of their mask and then reuse it (without washing) and contaminate themselves with covid in the process?  Sure, I guess, but the overall benefit to reducing viral transmission is greater.  

• Like 3

If my appeal to common sense and anecdotes didn't have any effect (seems like anecdotes are better than data on the internet)

How about you consider some evidence from observational studies. 

jld200077f1_1597432994.14169.thumb.png.196f03147022ddea46af001f70cbe67e.png

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533

How about the data in the non hospital setting?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

It is admittedly hard to study this stuff because it's all observational which means there will always be significant confounding variables and messy data. But in this case common sense and the data are both lining up and showing the same thing.  Masks aren't a panacea but they are an effective tool in reducing transmission when worn properly and in the right circumstances where risk of spread is high. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

lol get a load of this guy

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

If my appeal to common sense and anecdotes didn't have any effect (seems like anecdotes are better than data on the internet)

jld200077f1_1597432994.14169.thumb.png.196f03147022ddea46af001f70cbe67e.png

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533

How about the data in the non hospital setting?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

It is admittedly hard to study this stuff because it's all observational which means there will always be significant confounding variables and messy data. But in this case common sense and the data are both lining up and showing the same thing.  Masks aren't a panacea but they are an effective tool in reducing transmission when worn properly and in the right circumstances where risk of spread is high. 

I cant wait til some real mask studies come out on their effectiveness. I personally think there's a lot of correlating factors more responsible for the declines but like many others have said, they are zero cost and even if they reduce transmission by 1% its probably worth it. 

41 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I cant wait til some real mask studies come out on their effectiveness. I personally think there's a lot of correlating factors more responsible for the declines but like many others have said, they are zero cost and even if they reduce transmission by 1% its probably worth it. 

It's rough going from work all day with a mask to the gym and wearing one. I cannot wait for the day I can throw that thing away for good. After my gym session, its dripping in sweat. That can't be healthy. I also just got done being sick with the flu or some other type of virus for the last 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Michigan schools being asked to go to remote for two weeks following spring break.  Being a teacher in the schools, it is worse now than any other part of this pandemic.  Good call from the inside.  

Weird, I was told that it wasn't the schools causing it. I guess internal numbers say otherwise.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's rough going from work all day with a mask to the gym and wearing one. I cannot wait for the day I can throw that thing away for good. After my gym session, its dripping in sweat. That can't be healthy. I also just got done being sick with the flu or some other type of virus for the last 2 weeks.

I can't imagine having to wear a mask that's dripping with sweat. That sounds terrible. I'm glad that I run outside around the block where I don't have to wear a mask, rather than going to the gym. Really has to be rough for people that go to the gym.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My question, why can't you work out at home? I have to imagine you have a weight set at home and if you are running/calisthenics you can do this in your yard or at a local park. I just don't understand the need to physically be in a gym.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

My question, why can't you work out at home? I have to imagine you have a weight set at home and if you are running/calisthenics you can do this in your yard or at a local park. I just don't understand the need to physically be in a gym.

Yeah personally gyms never appealed to me. Rather than spending the money for a gym I'd much rather do my workouts at home, whether it's running around the block outside or using the exercise bike that I have in my house.

12 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Gym equipment is expensive as hell. And, personally, there’s something mentally for me that changes at the gym vs being at home. Studies have shown gyms don’t contribute much to the spread.

Just now, schoeppeya said:

Gym equipment is expensive as hell. And, personally, there’s something mentally for me that changes at the gym vs being at home. Studies have shown gyms don’t contribute much to the spread.

What studies say that? Also that is a choice to go there, and most weight sets are reasonably priced especially if you buy used.

31 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This setup would cost me quite a bit during Covid. Weights are so overpriced right now. I would need like $10k for my gym. I worked out at home until Gyms open. I do a lot of outdoor running and sports but I love lifting weights. It’s my anxiety/stress cure.