Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,780
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Avon
    Newest Member
    Avon
    Joined

Coronavirus


Chicago Storm
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Now we are complaining about a vaccine passport?  First complain about masks, now that?  Quit bitching and do what you’re asked, is that so tough?

You could say they are both in the interest of public health, but I do look at the passport issue differently than masks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You could say they are both in the interest of public health, but I do look at the passport issue differently than masks.  

You try to meet a republican base  half way and you get no where but chaos.  Just keep bowing down to them numbskulls huh.  Not.  when will this nightmare end though?  What a Greedy bunch we live amongst.. History won't be kind on our yrs to date.

 

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These not-quite-in-time stories are sad.  There's even a guy who got the first Pfizer, contracted covid shortly after, and then died before having a chance to get the 2nd shot.

The final insult: Some dying of COVID while awaiting vaccine

https://apnews.com/article/immunizations-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-veterans-d43aade61cf70abe1f9de070a8d1280b

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I generally don't comment on specific posters, but it seems like the discussion about Stebo may go on endlessly at this rate.

I have probably known him on these boards for longer than most of the people posting about him, and I can say that his style has not really changed over the years.  I'm not always a fan of it.  I'm sure his feeling of frustration with certain posters is genuine, but the forum is not run according to Stebo.  It never has been and won't be as long as he is not on the staff. 

My advice... learn to coexist, people.

A bunch of terrible posters are shitting this thread up, but you call me out. You aren't a fan because I am pushing you to do something for once. A bunch of anti-vax posts have no business in this thread nor does anything from Metfan who isn't in this subforum and is only here to drop empty brainless posts. Its not hard to keep this thread on topic if it actually was cleaned up a bit. Its gotten this far just fine until a bunch of dead weight started posting exclusively in here.

Oh and there are far more regulars in this subforum that post in here that would absolutely agree with me on this as well, so don't just pigeon hole me for calling it out.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like the "vaccine passport" would be a waste of time. I remember getting a fake ID 45 years ago so I could go into a bar. Any anti-vaxer that wants to travel could easily do the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

Now we are complaining about a vaccine passport?  First complain about masks, now that?  Quit bitching and do what you’re asked, is that so tough?

Not bitching but I think there are some legit "liberal" type arguments against them because of equity issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

Now we are complaining about a vaccine passport?  First complain about masks, now that?  Quit bitching and do what you’re asked, is that so tough?

There’s places you can live more suited to your preferred form of government. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

There’s places you can live more suited to your preferred form of government. 

Seriously

This is a free country . We don't have to do what the government asks. Not every American is going to get the vaccine .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

Now we are complaining about a vaccine passport?  First complain about masks, now that?  Quit bitching and do what you’re asked, is that so tough?

Yes that is correct.  No thanks :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Seriously

This is a free country . We don't have to do what the government asks. Not every American is going to get the vaccine .

You often need certain vaccines to attend public schools (childhood vaccines in elementary school and meningitis for college). Theres also legal precedence for the government mandate of vaccines in the US (see Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905)).  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Seriously

This is a free country . We don't have to do what the government asks. Not every American is going to get the vaccine .

This right here will be the death of America. This is a free country but there is a such thing as common sense :rolleyes:.  If we are facing a national crisis that requires us all to work together for the greater good of us all then we we must do that which is required. 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

This right here will be the death of America. This is a free country but there is a such thing as common sense :rolleyes:.  If we are facing a national crisis that requires us all to work together for the greater good of us all then we we must do that which is required. 

 

Why is this so hard for Americans to grasp?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I feel like the "vaccine passport" would be a waste of time. I remember getting a fake ID 45 years ago so I could go into a bar. Any anti-vaxer that wants to travel could easily do the same thing.

And they should be prosecuted just like anyone else with a fake ID.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And they should be prosecuted just like anyone else with a fake ID.

What about all the people in the rest of the world, especially in poor countries who don't yet have vaccine access (and may not for some time)? Are they just not allowed to travel? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

This right here will be the death of America. This is a free country but there is a such thing as common sense :rolleyes:.  If we are facing a national crisis that requires us all to work together for the greater good of us all then we we must do that which is required. 

 

Although your definition of “Common sense” may be your objective reality, it’s not everyone’s objective reality.

What will be the death of this country is people failing to realize that people have different experiences in life that lead them to the beliefs they have. What’s common sense to someone who lives in Los Angeles, CA isn’t the same as someone who lives in Pioneer, OH. People get so caught up in trying to govern “the other half”, but the beauty of our system is that people have choices and freedom to live under local and regional governments that fit their point of view within our federal framework that primarily supports individual choice. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

You often need certain vaccines to attend public schools (childhood vaccines in elementary school and meningitis for college). Theres also legal precedence for the government mandate of vaccines in the US (see Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905)).  

 

That’s a tricky one. Because there’s also a precedent to not require other vaccines (flu), which by all accounts thus far is much deadlier to school age individuals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

That’s a tricky one. Because there’s also a precedent to not require other vaccines (flu), which by all accounts thus far is much deadlier to school age individuals.

Seasonal flu seems about the same as covid for kids. 246 deaths so far under 17. But agreed. Also, can't require a vaccine for kids that's not approved yet for that population lol. I'm using the school requirements to show that there is precedence for a requirement when there is a compelling public health interest. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Not bitching but I think there are some legit "liberal" type arguments against them because of equity issues. 

Vaccines are free in a lot of cases and becoming widely available. You know where I stand on equity issues but that really runs out of steam when people can very easily get a shot if they haven't already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I feel like the "vaccine passport" would be a waste of time. I remember getting a fake ID 45 years ago so I could go into a bar. Any anti-vaxer that wants to travel could easily do the same thing.

I do feel like there will be people who will do this and are already tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stebo said:

Vaccines are free in a lot of cases and becoming widely available. You know where I stand on equity issues but that really runs out of steam when people can very easily get a shot if they haven't already.

Worldwide they aren't. And there is already significant signs that the vaccine rollout hasn't been particularly equitable in the US. Much easier for someone with consistent computer access to get an appointment, for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

What about all the people in the rest of the world, especially in poor countries who don't yet have vaccine access (and may not for some time)? Are they just not allowed to travel? 

How many people in these poor countries do we think don’t have access to the vaccine but have the means to travel internationally? I would think it’s low.

But I’m not necessarily just talking about international travel here, I’m talking about concerts, sporting events, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Worldwide they aren't. And there is already significant signs that the vaccine rollout hasn't been particularly equitable in the US. Much easier for someone with consistent computer access to get an appointment, for example. 

World wide no but I am looking at this from a perspective of here. We have the most cases we have the most vaccine shots, it can be done here at least for a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

How many people in these poor countries do we think don’t have access to the vaccine but have the means to travel internationally?

But I’m not necessarily just talking about international travel here, I’m talking about concerts, sporting events, etc.

I think the domestic arguments are stronger. But there's really no reason to screw countries internationally where there isn't enough vaccine for everyone. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

You often need certain vaccines to attend public schools (childhood vaccines in elementary school and meningitis for college). Theres also legal precedence for the government mandate of vaccines in the US (see Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905)).  

 

Certain countries also require vaccines when going there. I think Brazil/Peru if going to the amazon require the yellow fever vaccine and a few others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems short sighted to let the virus evolve in the poorer countries, the vaccines we have are not magic bullets, they protect against some variants, not against all.

It just seems that neither common sense nor charity are getting much traction in the official reaction to the epidemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think the domestic arguments are stronger. But there's really no reason to screw countries internationally where there isn't enough vaccine for everyone. 

 

I agree, but I also don’t know how much “screwing” is being done, as it would seem rare that someone would be in a country so poor as to not have access to the vaccine but still have the means to travel internationally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Seems short sighted to let the virus evolve in the poorer countries, the vaccines we have are not magic bullets, they protect against some variants, not against all.

It just seems that neither common sense nor charity are getting much traction in the official reaction to the epidemic.

It is so frustrating to read stuff like this. Our country, by far, leads the world in vaccinations numbers. Everybody in our country has sacrificed something in the last year. By the time this is all said in done, I’d be willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people in all age groups have the vaccine. Hell, it’s not even OPEN to most people still. Want some common sense that people will respond to? How about showing some optimism in our fight since we are currently leading the world. You people who insist our country is filled with selfish, stupid people must truly be miserable.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...