Total Members
    Most Online
    Avon
    Newest Member
    Avon
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Article about which groups are most reluctant about taking the vaccine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/15/health-202-some-americans-will-refuse-coronavirus-vaccines-who-where-they-are-matters/

In short, self-identified Republicans, people in rural areas, people in their 30s and 40s, and African Americans.

The reasons are likely different.  For Republicans, it's because they are more likely to think the virus is not a big deal.  People in their 30s and 40s probably don't feel as threatened on a personal level.  For African Americans, it may be rooted in things like the Tuskegee Study.

• Like 1

Just got dose #1, barely felt the shot at all but when they had to bring it the drill to insert the microchip well, don't want to discourage anytime. Thankfully they reassured me that Fauci, Hugo Chavez, Q, and the "deep state" all worked together programming the microchip to make sure it would only affect people who voted for Trump.

All kidding aside, the shot itself was less painful than the flu vaccine, if I get any symptoms from this dose I'll be sure to mention it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Pennsylvania with 278 deaths today 

They are having a rough time, more hospitalized in PA (6375) now than in Illinois at peak and higher average deaths/day as well. Higher than their spring peak as well, despite advances in treatment. the lower CFR now has had more to do with testing more people than treatment advances. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/texas-wedding-photographers-have-seen-some/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The wedding photographer had already spent an hour or two inside with the unmasked wedding party when one of the bridesmaids approached her. The woman thanked her for still showing up, considering “everything that’s going on with the groom.”

When the photographer asked what she meant by that, the bridesmaid said the groom had tested positive for the coronavirus the day before. “She was looking for me to be like, ‘Oh, that’s crazy,’ like I was going to agree with her that it was fine,” the photographer recalls. “So I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ And she was like, ‘Oh no no no, don’t freak out. He doesn’t have symptoms. He’s fine.’”

The photographer, who has asthma and three kids, left with her assistant before the night was over. Her exit was tense. The wedding planner said it was the most unprofessional thing she’d ever seen. Bridesmaids accused her of heartlessly ruining an innocent woman’s wedding day. She recalls one bridesmaid telling her, “I’m a teacher, I have fourteen students. If I’m willing to risk it, why aren’t you?” Another said everyone was going to get COVID eventually, so what was the big deal? The friend of the bride who’d spilled the beans cried about being the “worst bridesmaid ever.”

After the photographer left, she canceled her Thanksgiving plans with family, sent her kids to relatives’ houses so they wouldn’t get sick, and informed the brides of her upcoming weddings that she’d be subcontracting to other shooters. A few days later she started to feel sick, and sure enough, tested positive for COVID-19. She informed the couple. “But they didn’t care,” she says. They didn’t offer to compensate her for the test, nor did they apologize for getting her sick.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Article about which groups are most reluctant about taking the vaccine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/15/health-202-some-americans-will-refuse-coronavirus-vaccines-who-where-they-are-matters/

In short, self-identified Republicans, people in rural areas, people in their 30s and 40s, and African Americans.

The reasons are likely different.  For Republicans, it's because they are more likely to think the virus is not a big deal.  People in their 30s and 40s probably don't feel as threatened on a personal level.  For African Americans, it may be rooted in things like the Tuskegee Study.

As an African-American I can tell ya that the scars from the Tuskegee study are still there and are definitely playing a role...I mean as for me personally, I'm not too reluctant (just making sure there aren't any ill-effects, which is fine since I'll be at the end of the list anyway, lol) but others certainly are. I think it's gonna take a heck of a campaign...with more black leaders getting publicly vaccinated--along with as much transparency as possible.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

California is already at 33k cases so far today. YIKES

I came home and saw that and thought LA County reported early or something, when i saw that they didn't I was like wtf.

LA County just reported 21,400 cases!!!. I read there was a bit of a backlog but they were already reporting 10k+ daily.

Hospital: 15,886 (+688) ICU 3,297 (+104). The rise in hospitalizations is steeper than last week.This is rapidly becoming the worst situation anywhere in the country.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

I came home and saw that and thought LA County reported early or something, when i saw that they didn't I was like wtf.

LA County just reported 21,400 cases!!!. I read there was a bit of a backlog but they were already reporting 10k+ daily.

Hospital: 15,886 (+688) ICU 3,297 (+104). The rise in hospitalizations is steeper than last week.This is rapidly becoming the worst situation anywhere in the country.

Even if you subtract the backlog in cases its still over 14k cases in one county!!! This is really bad.  California has the potential to be worse than New York 

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

New York state was getting 800-1000 deaths per day at peak.  Don't think we'll get that high in California unless there's consistently about 50k cases per day or more.

LA County has two million people more than New York City. With such a high density of people it would not take much at all to overwhelm their hospitals and they only have 4. Thus New York numbers are in the realm of possibility 

My GF is a nurse in Dupage said they noticed things seem to be getting better in the area. 

They’re well staffed now with extra workers by her (a lot were off sick past couple weeks) and can take a day off but she doesn’t want to.

Less admissions are coming in the covid unit too.

That’s good news at least that things are leveling out around the area. 

6 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

Lol at the hysteria. Meanwhile cases and hospitalizations continue to drop in WI, everything is open still.

If you lol about the "hysteria" around my friends and relatives who have had horrible cases of the virus and families of my friends who have died, you may end up waiting on an open hospital bed yourself. :fulltilt:

Oh, yeah and my friends who work as respiratory therapists who have been going 100 mph for months also wouldn't take kindly to you laughing about the situation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

If you lol about the "hysteria" around my friends and relatives who have had horrible cases of the virus and families of my friends who have died, you may end up waiting on an open hospital bed yourself. :fulltilt:

Oh, yeah and my friends who work as respiratory therapists who have been going 100 mph for months also wouldn't take kindly to you laughing about the situation.

Gotta feel for the healthcare workers.  I mean, you know you are going to encounter things in that line of work, but the scale is probably something they didn't imagine.  People talk about mental health of those on the outside during these times, but how about the mental health of the healthcare workers who are dealing with this stuff on a daily basis?  They are often with covid patients as they die since visitation by family members generally isn't allowed.  There are probably going to be lasting mental health consequences for those people long after things start to get back toward normal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Gotta feel for the healthcare workers.  I mean, you know you are going to encounter things in that line of work, but the scale is probably something they didn't imagine.  People talk about mental health of those on the outside during these times, but how about the mental health of the healthcare workers who are dealing with this stuff on a daily basis?  They are often with covid patients as they die since visitation by family members generally isn't allowed.  There are probably going to be lasting mental health consequences for those people long after things start to get back toward normal. 

yes, i've brought this up too.  honestly, i think some of these people need to get off twitter, and take a tour of an overflowing hospital.

• Like 2

3400 dead today.  for context: on average, heart disease kills 2100 per day, cancer kills 1800 per day.  so right now covid is killing almost as many people as heart disease and cancer combined. 

but hey, it's not that fatal, 99.997% survive.  or something.   

• Sad 1