Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
38 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Skepticism is healthy, but I think he really has it.

It seems most likely that he picked it up at an event last Saturday.  After his diagnosis was announced, a bunch of people who were also at that event announced positive results.  They would all have to be in on it.  But besides that, Trump loves to project strength.  Going to the hospital isn't a good look, especially so close to the election.  If it's all fake and some attempt to get a sympathy vote, I'd say it wasn't thought out well, because what it has done is put the virus even more in the news.  Trump is very polarizing.  I think most people want him to recover, but well wishes don't always equal votes.    

When you hear that he received antibodies, remdesivir and dexamethasone, it makes it seem like they are throwing everything they can at the patient because they are in extraordinarily bad shape.  But this isn't an ordinary patient, and I think it's quite possible that they are bending the criteria a bit in his case.  So far, we have seen a few photographs, some videos that are a minute or three in length, and a brief car ride before returning to the hospital.  That is not that much to ask of a significantly ill individual.  He is not running a marathon or golfing 18 holes.  

Plus, it’s going to take some time to see how Trump truly fares against Covid. He’s still early into his fight with the virus. It will be interesting to see how he is next weekend. If he’s recovering / recovered and no signs of permanent lung / heart damage, then we might conclude the experimental medications he received work wonders and saved him, especially considering his age and overall health stats. If in one week it appears he and the doctors are still “beating around the bush” so to speak in regards to how he is, then we might be able to conclude that Covid is winning and his ability to continue to lead the country needs to seriously be questioned (I know, many of us have been questioning that ability for 4 years, haha).

Unfortunately I think we are pretty much near the bottom in terms of deaths, and they are likely to start rising gradually again soon.  This is what the projections are suggesting (to varying extents) and it makes sense as hospitalizations have started to increase again.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Unfortunately I think we are pretty much near the bottom in terms of deaths, and they are likely to start rising gradually again soon.  This is what the projections are suggesting (to varying extents) and it makes sense as hospitalizations have started to increase again.  

I'm hoping the projections are wrong but even if we keep at the current rate we will pass 300,000 easily 

42 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can't believe Trump signed his name on a blank piece of paper to show he is still working and also can't believe he went out to visit people outside the hospital putting the SS at risk and now they all have to quarantine for 14 days. Literal insanity. 

The risking of SS is just sad, these people would give their lives for the president and they are needlessly being endangered.

Guest ovweather

Kayleigh McEnany is the latest Trump / White House staffer to bite the Covid dust. She’s asymptomatic, thus far.

9 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I'm hoping the projections are wrong but even if we keep at the current rate we will pass 300,000 easily 

300k seems like a big stretch. If it happened, COVID would beat obesity for the number of deaths in the US by end of year... Around 300k die in the US each year from obesity, and 2.8 million globally - https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/obesity/en/

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, NEOH said:

300k seems like a big stretch. If it happened, COVID would beat obesity for the number of deaths in the US by end of year... Around 300k die in the US each year from obesity, and 2.8 million globally - https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/obesity/en/

We are at 210k adding roughly 500-750 deaths a day currently with cases starting to spike up so lets say by mid November we are around 1000 deaths daily again. Thats 45k deaths til end of year from mid November plus whatever happens in the next 40 days, at least 20k. That takes us to an estimated 275k deaths by then, 300k isn't that far fetched once you map it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

The risking of SS is just sad, these people would give their lives for the president and they are needlessly being endangered.

They’re supposed to take a bullet /for/ the President, not /from/ the President. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

This whole Covid situation in this country is embarrassing.  Almost feels like we've become a failed state.

That's what some media outlets would like you to believe at least. There are definitely things that could have been done differently of course... hindsight is always 20/20. What countries do you think did the best in dealing with COVID? Many of the countries that had lower death numbers also have healthier populations. 

• Like 1

Guest ovweather
38 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

This whole Covid situation in this country is embarrassing.  Almost feels like we've become a failed state.

The Covid response is just an example of what happens when the “greatest country in the world” makes every single thing political and void of any kind of a common sense response.

13 minutes ago, NEOH said:

That's what some media outlets would like you to believe at least. There are definitely things that could have been done differently of course... hindsight is always 20/20. What countries do you think did the best in dealing with COVID? Many of the countries that had lower death numbers also have healthier populations. 

Our population isn't the healthiest on Earth, that's for sure.  For one thing, masks could've been pushed harder all over the country.  We had March, April, May, June, July, August, September and now October.

The issue is that at this point we're stuck in this state of acceptance, so unless things get really bad again (maybe not even then) we're not going to be able to convince people to take Covid seriously enough. If things are going to change, in my opinion it's probably going to have to happen at the federal level... Maybe next January at the earliest.

Guest ovweather
6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In Trump's latest tweet announcing that he is leaving the hospital later today, there is no reminder about hygiene or mask wearing.  This would have been an easy thing to mention.  

Yes, all that tweet accomplishes is further convincing people to not take Covid that seriously. The appropriate thing to say would have been "Don't be afraid of Covid as long as you are practicing good health hygiene, social distancing, and mask wearing." A missed opportunity by the president to make some what of an amends to his horrific mistakes in handling this pandemic.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In Trump's latest tweet announcing that he is leaving the hospital later today, there is no reminder about hygiene or mask wearing.  This would have been an easy thing to mention.  

How much of  the US population follows his Twitter account? I don't feel its the President's responsibility to remind me via social media to wear a mask or follow basic hygiene. Masks have been pushed hard at least locally in Ohio. If someone refuses to wear a mask at this point its probably unlikely that a tweet is going to make a difference. Wasn't there a lot of complaining about Federal government involvement early in COVID? Now everyone blames the Federal government for not doing enough. You can't have it both ways. Hopefully a vaccine comes out in the Nov/Dec time frame so that can get to those with the highest risk levels. Until then the finger pointing at one individual is getting old because the election is getting close. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Our population isn't the healthiest on Earth, that's for sure.  For one thing, masks could've been pushed harder all over the country.  We had March, April, May, June, July, August, September and now October.

Wasn't the early direction that masks are only needed if you're infected? 

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Exercise, diet and vitamin D would have been better recommendations. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is far worse, "don't be afraid of covid, don't let it dominate your life"? those are some incredibly dangerous and ignorant words from a guy who spend 3 days in a hospital with many doctors overlooking him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NEOH said:

How much of  the US population follows his Twitter account? I don't feel its the President's responsibility to remind me via social media to wear a mask or follow basic hygiene. Masks have been pushed hard at least locally in Ohio. If someone refuses to wear a mask at this point its probably unlikely that a tweet is going to make a difference. Wasn't there a lot of complaining about Federal government involvement early in COVID? Now everyone blames the Federal government for not doing enough. You can't have it both ways. Hopefully a vaccine comes out in the Nov/Dec time frame so that can get to those with the highest risk levels. Until then the finger pointing at one individual is getting old because the election is getting close. 

People listen to and pay attention to what the president does.  If he can type a sentence to make covid/treatments out to be the fountain of youth, then he could've slipped in a mention about being careful.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RobertSul said:

During March and April when there was a nationwide shortage on masks (and paper towels and toilet paper).

No that wasn't the issue.  There were all kinds of people saying they weren't effective early on.  Alot of mixed messages. 

11 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It is far worse, "don't be afraid of covid, don't let it dominate your life"? those are some incredibly dangerous and ignorant words from a guy who spend 3 days in a hospital with many doctors overlooking him.

True, being someone at higher risk, he should fear covid.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

People listen to and pay attention to what the president does.  If he can type a sentence to make covid/treatments out to be the fountain of youth, then he could've slipped in a mention about being careful.

Hoosier I'll agree to disagree. People are going out of their way to find faults/problems with everything he does or doesn't do. Its all political non-sense at this point. Perhaps low intelligence should be added to the list of pre-existing conditions that contribute to COVID deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, NEOH said:

Hoosier I'll agree to disagree. People are going out of their way to find faults/problems with everything he does or doesn't do. Its all political non-sense at this point. Perhaps low intelligence should be added to the list of pre-existing conditions that contribute to COVID deaths. 

It's a shame how political things have become.  Even this thread is a disaster for a weather board.  It was an impossible and unprecedented situation he was in.  

• Weenie 1