• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

39 minutes ago, Leelee said:

I wish I understood what KBUF NWS is excited about. This looks like your regular shortwave through the Ohio Valley to me. This must be how normal people feel listening to my weather babble.

Well they are still really only forecasting 3-6 of synoptic so I’m not sure what part you are interpreting as exciting.  They are just doing a thorough job explaining the dynamics of the system.  I hadn’t noticed until they mentioned it but that is an incredibly large and powerful upper level jet. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yeah I agree...thats a lot more moisture than I thought...if that's a regular shortwave I'm just a regular guy...

So close to combining with the weak wave from the NW. A little quicker and we're looking at a much stronger system, that was showing up 3-4 days ago with higher QPF. 

My Point and click forecast.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 29. South wind 5 to 9 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow before 2pm, then a chance of snow showers between 2pm and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. High near 32. North wind 7 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow, mainly before 5am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Northwest wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 9pm. Low around 29. South wind 5 to 9 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow before 2pm, then a chance of snow showers between 2pm and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. High near 32. North wind 7 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow, mainly before 5am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Northwest wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

That's 8-14" for you by Fri AM...

• Like 1

BUF AFD... The “sweet spot”...

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/... After a day of uneventful weather...our attention will now be focused on a couple of shortwaves digging across the Upper Rio Grande Valley. The resulting cyclogenesis over Texas will yield an area of low pressure that will track from the Lower Mississippi to the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys early tonight...then to Pennsylvania by late tonight. The track of the storm system...being just a few (latitudinal) degrees to our south...will place our region in the `sweet` spot for widespread accumulating snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its a rapidly progressive Positively tilted system and we're lucky cause if the Northern stream really took hold of this in the Mid West, we'd be talking Cutter over Detroit so thank God for the progressive Positively tilt to this monster, or what it could have been.  The cold snap would of been much more pronounced if the System was stronger and it cut, but I'll sacrifice a weaker system for no taint and lesser ratios, lol!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Tonight
Thursday
Thursday Night

8 to 14? That's warning criteria

Kept wondering where this Thursday night 2-4” was coming from as the storm is pulling away and a NW flow was setting up.  This could be cool...

While the main area of snow will move out of the region...there will be a pair of cold fronts that could trigger localized snow squalls during the afternoon. The first front will push south across the western counties during the afternoon. Many of the higher resolution guidance packages suggest that some organized snow squalls will break out along and ahead of this first boundary...and given a steepening of the lapse rates below 10k ft...cannot argue against this reasoning. I do take issue with some referring to this as the true arctic front though...as there will clearly be a second boundary push south during the early evening. H925 temps will sharply drop off in the wake of this second boundary...and THIS is when I would think that any squalls would be present. There is little baroclinicity with the first boundary...but will adhere to the consensus of the mesoscale models and include some heavy snow and squally weather with the first as well. Before leaving this vein...it would not be out of the question that localized forcing from either boundary could support some thunder and lightning with the heavier squalls. The level of -10c is high enough to allow for a mixed phase layer that would support graupel...and with a convective depth of roughly 10k ft...electrification is not out of the question.