• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    queenofscience
    Newest Member
    queenofscience

January 18, 2020 Mixed Event Obs

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Leading edge blues are over top of me right now.  Temp is at 25 and dp is up to 9. Not seeing anything yet.

radar12-01182020.png

That pink band that passed through Berks is tasty. It's straight dumping here right now. Roads and everything covered.

Roads don't look to have been treated too well. I think they brined too soon? (saw the brining on the roads on Thursday) I mean, I know it didn't wash off but still. Picture outside my office looking down at a fairly major 2-lane road:

IMG_20200118_100215.jpg

9 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Roads don't look to have been treated too well. I think they brined too soon? (saw the brining on the roads on Thursday) I mean, I know it didn't wash off but still. Picture outside my office looking down at a fairly major 2-lane road:

IMG_20200118_100215.jpg

Brine doesn’t help with powered snow and temps in mid 20s. Brine is to help snow removal.

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Am under the lavenders but still not seeing any flakes here in NW Philly yet.  Temp still at 25 with dp now up to 10.

radar14-01182020.png

Squint!!

Flakes have started here, 24F/5DP.

6 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Squint!!

Flakes have started here, 24F/5DP.

Yeah literally within a minute after posting that, the "skies opened up" (like a thunderstorm squall). :lol:

The powdery stuff is blowing around the streets and walks and already have a dusting on the colder surfaces.  Temp is down to 24 and dp up to 12.

13 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Brine doesn’t help with powered snow and temps in mid 20s. Brine is to help snow removal.

yup brine only helps to keep the snow from binding to the road surface, keep from packing 

• Like 1

Just now, penndotguy said:

yup brine only helps to keep the snow from binding to the road surface, keep from packing 

That makes sense. Guess I'm just used to our usual, borderline 32° snow-to-rain events. This is a nice change from that.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Am under the lavenders but still not seeing any flakes here in NW Philly yet.  Temp still at 25 with dp now up to 10.

radar14-01182020.png

I’m in Overbrook Park and the ground here is all white with moderate but small flakes 

4 minutes ago, weathernut85 said:

I’m in Overbrook Park and the ground here is all white with moderate but small flakes 

That's an old radar snapshot now (see the later posts)!  I am under a coating now here in NW Philly! :o:D

ETA, temp is now down to 23.  The snow is similar to the 1996 blizzard type of powdery "23 degree snow".  Dp up to 15.