• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

I'm wondering about the freezing aspects once the precip dies down. Looks like Sunday will be sunny and upper 20's in the Chicago area so that may help with melting but for most places in the Midwest Saturday from around 3 PM through Sunday morning just seems awful. You either are getting cold rain, sleet, or snow followed by all that slop potentially freezing as temps drop to the teens overnight Saturday.

Makes me come back to thoughts I always have about the overly broad nature of the Winter Warning classifications. I'd argue that this storm is a bigger threat to life/travel than a solid 12 inch snowstorm with temps at 20. But the "headlines" of not a lot of snow just seem to make it not as critical of an event.

• Like 1

Mix of sleet and freezing rain right now.  Was expecting pure freezing rain, not sleet and freezing rain.  Not cold enough for the power lines to ice up as the temps are very marginal.  Might change later as temps crash this evening unless we go to pure sleet.  I was thinking that the power lines would ice up for sure since the dewpoint is in the mid 20s.  I was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Freezing rain has begun here. Looking at radar, we could see 0.10+ of accrual before switching to snow.

It'll be really hard to acreet on trees/power lines since the temps are very marginal (31F to 32F, plus I see water dripping on the powerlines), despite the somewhat low dewpoint (in the mid to upper 20s).  Best accretion would be later when temps crash although the window of accretion will be very narrow as when the temps crash, it'll turn to all sleet.

• Like 1