• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Good Saturday morning NYC nw-ne suburbs... a chilly one over the suburbs snow cover. Generally near zero to above at 6am. 

Minor stuff next couple of days, mainly for the I84 high terrain...

Tomorrow-Sunday the 20th: a dusting to 1 inch parts of the I84 high terrain, mainly during the daylight hours.
Tuesday the 22nd: since the storm on Monday the 21st is still not quite close enough... a dusting to 1 inch possible I84 corridor Tuesday morning-midday.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Was going to post this in the other thread but then the weenies who have no concept of geography would either call me a liar or think that I was referring to their own back yard...Euro has us flirting with 0 or slightly below Saturday morning.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, hudsonvalley21 said:

With the snowpack and radiational cooling the Euro’s temps could verify overnight Friday into Saturday in our neck of the woods.

Sitting at -3 right now. 

• Like 4

skied Magic Mountain up in Vermont yesterday, it was opening day for the upper mountain and by noon they had dropped the ropes on everything. The snowfall increased a bit as I drove up through columbia county but by the time I got to Manchester Vt the depths were very impressive. It was beautiful up there after the fresh snowfall and cold temps since. Settled powder depth on the hill was around 24-30" and I had waist deep first tracks on a few runs. Overall Incredible day 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

skied Magic Mountain up in Vermont yesterday, it was opening day for the upper mountain and by noon they had dropped the ropes on everything. The snowfall increased a bit as I drove up through columbia county but by the time I got to Manchester Vt the depths were very impressive. It was beautiful up there after the fresh snowfall and cold temps since. Settled powder depth on the hill was around 24-30" and I had waist deep first tracks on a few runs. Overall Incredible day 

I love that place.

Berkshire East too. I want to do a tour of places like those and Upstate NY is filled with them. It won't happen this year but it needs to happen soon. Another good sized area popped onto my radar this year, Bristol, and with all the extra time I ended up going down the google maps rabbit hole and sorta laid out a trip. If you could hit it on the right weather cycle there are some pretty kickass powder areas around NY like Bristol or McCauley that fly under the radar even better than the New England areas other than a couple. Pico is great, totally gets you that high peaks experience but at this point you'd be more likely to find me at Middlebury Snow Bowl, another one of those killer powder hills. 

Blue wave posted it somewhere yesterday but the last 10 Christmas days have really been horrible temperature wise. It’s a streak that goes against all odds  Pretty much the inverse odds of having 10 straight years of Christmas days topping out from 10 to 20°  

It will be interesting to see if we even qualify as a white Christmas this year with all the rain and melting Christmas Eve night. It will probably come down to the wire.

I didn't get a chance to upload these screenshots when they were current on Friday night into Saturday morning, but I thought this was really cool. From the moment the BL decoupled until mixing resumed, I was running exactly 10 degrees colder than the air strip 1.7 miles away and 125 feet higher in elevation. Both stations are properly sited, and this pattern repeats often on clear nights, but I've never seen such a big difference. Just a razor-thin inversion with that perfect snowcover. Screenshots at 1:30 and 7:30 am.

lugT4LP.jpg

0VYbPbg.jpg

23 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Berkshire East too. I want to do a tour of places like those and Upstate NY is filled with them. It won't happen this year but it needs to happen soon. Another good sized area popped onto my radar this year, Bristol, and with all the extra time I ended up going down the google maps rabbit hole and sorta laid out a trip. If you could hit it on the right weather cycle there are some pretty kickass powder areas around NY like Bristol or McCauley that fly under the radar even better than the New England areas other than a couple. Pico is great, totally gets you that high peaks experience but at this point you'd be more likely to find me at Middlebury Snow Bowl, another one of those killer powder hills. 

McCauley has to get some crazy lake effect dumps. I’m hopefully planning a trip to Tuckerman’s Ravine this spring. Hiked up Mount Washington this summer and realized I need to go back for the skiing experience 

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I didn't get a chance to upload these screenshots when they were current on Friday night into Saturday morning, but I thought this was really cool. From the moment the BL decoupled until mixing resumed, I was running exactly 10 degrees colder than the air strip 1.7 miles away and 125 feet higher in elevation. Both stations are properly sited, and this pattern repeats often on clear nights, but I've never seen such a big difference. Just a razor-thin inversion with that perfect snowcover. Screenshots at 1:30 and 7:30 am.

lugT4LP.jpg

0VYbPbg.jpg

Drove home from skiing that night and the car thermometer was jumping all over the place I was confused. When I was in Columbia county I noticed It would fluctuate like 10 degrees within a few miles. Pretty neat. 

• Like 2