Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

1 minute ago, Hitman said:

Valentines ‘07 had more than 4 feet up in vt.  I want to say there were 5-6’ in spots.  I was up there afterwards and it was bat shit crazy.  So much snow.

Yup I knew Vermont and Adk in New York absolutely crushed with 3-5 feet but I don’t think it made it over quite the same to NH and Maine like this has. 

Well that didn’t go as expected...1.35” melted down giving me around a 8:1 ratio. I know I had crappy flakes, some resembling tiny styrofoam balls, but I wasn’t expecting a ratio that low. I know I dumped it after Monday’s event. I’m melting down a core sample off one of my snow boards now to see what I get there. Anyone else calculating ratios?

58 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well that didn’t go as expected...1.35” melted down giving me around a 8:1 ratio. I know I had crappy flakes, some resembling tiny styrofoam balls, but I wasn’t expecting a ratio that low. I know I dumped it after Monday’s event. I’m melting down a core sample off one of my snow boards now to see what I get there. Anyone else calculating ratios?

I saw a 1.61 in Poughkeepsie. If I had 9 or 10 to 1 ratio that adds up to about what I measured 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

24 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

I saw a 1.61 in Poughkeepsie. If I had 9 or 10 to 1 ratio that adds up to about what I measured 

The core sample I took when I measured 11.9" this morning melted down to 1.62". Good pack-building snow, in an alternate universe where we can avail of such things.

• Thanks 1

Pack building? Yeah, I don't see it. Looks warmish and dry for a while. I did move the snowbanks as far back as I could just in case though ;) 

I was so right about how that long duration wind direction would affect the snowfall amounts here, a few miles west along the Taconic spine got significantly more than I did and IMO it's all due to the exposure and duration. It certainly isn't because it saw a band that the rest of the region didn't since the higher amounts are only along the easterly faces and fall off immediately as you pass to the west. I didn't expect how dramatically the amounts fell off going E and SE but I'm not all that surprised as it seems to happen that way pretty often.

Checking in after shoveling and work; I hope you guys enjoyed it up there! I'm guessing we were 6 to 10 or 8 to 12 around here, but there was sleet and a bunch of wind. In fact, told a meteorologist friend, "This storm had some 1994 vibes to it... Super cold, mixing, huge totals way north and west of here, cold winds, cold nights... the ludicrous snow totals hundreds of miles from me while it was 19 and sleeting here. That’s 1994." 

Hopefully there's something new to track soon; keep me posted if there is!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

It took me fully three hours to clear even with a snowblower and tractor, and I'm definitely sore. That's a heavy snow that doesn't like to be bossed around.

Had some real crappy flakes here too. Snow was real dense and and like packed powder. Could be from the winds destroying the dendrites 

Just a tease: May have a topic started late today or tomorrow morning (Christmas eve).  

Sunday: A pretty good chance for a period of Trace-3" snow I84 high terrain.

Monday the 21st: Right now models have a storm just offshore. This could end up closer, bringing a hazardous snow event of several inches for the I84 corridor, especially CT/MA.

Christmas eve into Christmas morning: Definitely a storm coming. It could be mostly heavy rain melting our I84 snow pack Christmas eve with a quick coating of 1-4" in its wake Christmas morning.

Monday the 28th: another opportunity for wintry precipitation.

One event at a time. Have a good Friday. 
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

This Christmas Eve rain event as depicted currently on several models will suck worse, if it happens as currently depicted. Why do setups like those never seem to change much even 7 days out?

A coastal low has to hit a ~100 mile keyhole for us to see snow. A cutter can go anywhere from EWR to ORD and it's still a cutter. :(

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It's not going to be a cutter/rainstorm. This is one of those years where it wants to snow. Watch...

It would be a Christmas miracle, but maybe this is where 2020 finally throws us a bone.

Would love it if it happened, it is six days out so who knows, but I won't expect it.

At this point let's hope it just keeps cutting farther west, and spares us most of the rain.
It would be the last 2020 kick in the ass to wipe out this beautiful snowpack on Christmas Eve.

I would not want to be anywhere near a riverbank on Christmas Eve and Day. Makes sure your storm drains are clear.