• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

18 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Build up that base in saranac lake please. I want to hike up a 5k mountain with 4-5 feet on the ground. 

Hey BW, this is a good site to track the high peaks snowpack of both Vermont and NY as Mount Mansfield is a great metric for all the high peaks snowpack as its historically holds snow from January to April every single year.  As you can see, it's currently flirting with historically low snow right now but that should change dramatically over the next few weeks, or at least I hope it does.  

https://www.matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

Capture.PNG.064675f8399ca5a9c74610e75df74250.PNG

• Thanks 1

RGEM has a band of LES setting up over northern erie Tomorrow night into friday morning.
rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_38.png&key=22058f699c5e2a43deafe04bcfed89b5286b84c0ac557702d07ea6dec960d339

BTV likes the idea as well!

8774d588cc88677af10874deb1aca4be.jpg
1df27b2292664d02065246351fa79ce4.jpg

Latest high resolution guidance also suggests a Georgian Bay band
will meander through the area between Buffalo and Rochester,
possibly extending down into the western Finger Lakes. This may drop
a few inches locally on Thursday if the band is able to remain in
one location for a few hours.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Vegas fired Gallant after the Sabres beat them last night...Crazy! They are an expansion team with unprecedented success as a new team. He's a fantastic coach. I like Krueger but would 100% fire him for Gallant. 

I was shocked to see that this morning. Vegas is only 3pts away from being division lead. I don't understand this, but I'm starting to think it may have been intentional. Only reason I say that is because DeBoer was hired immediately. 

• Like 1

Icon so bad it doesn't even register on verification scores, lol, its one of td he worst out there for sure! Sorry Dave, it's a fact and Wolfie showed it nicely above with Saturdays event. It had rain up to Ottawa, lol, and now they Jack and that was in 2 days of runs. The GGEM is even better than the ICON and that's not saying much! 1 Euro 2 GFS 3 UKMET and then the rest usually fall in line somewhere in between those 3 with time, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_37.pngicon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_46.pngAll I’m saying is it’s a useful tool. Fair enough. The GFS looks more like what we will get but the ICON said, “push it NW to be safe”.  It got an upgrade this year and I think it finds the warm bias. In a year like this, it’s sniffed out the cutters and crap temp profiles earlier than the others. It’s less apt to throw out weenie snow maps. We all know the GFS 120 maps need to be divided by a factor of 3 to be anywhere near accurate. 
Wolf, a lot of this isn’t even directed to your area because, well you know, u might as well live in an entirely different climate. The thruway’s temp profiles can be 10 degrees warmer than you Hill people. 
Ive found it to be surprisingly accurate this year. Plus, I gotta model hug. Last year it was the GEM, I figured, ‘why not the ICON this year?’ Lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Icon so bad it doesn't even register on verification scores, lol, its one of td he worst out there for sure! Sorry Dave, it's a fact and Wolfie showed it nicely above with Saturdays event. It had rain up to Ottawa, lol, and now they Jack and that was in 2 days of runs. The GGEM is even better than the ICON and that's not saying much! 1 Euro 2 GFS 3 UKMET and then the rest usually fall in line somewhere in between those 3 with time, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You understand verication chart uses like a single metric divided over all of North America? Yeah, the big data models gonna win. 
When most of the board was jumping on a big weekend snowstorm, the ICON and me were saying, maybe slow up. 
The euro has been pretty crap this year. It did ok with this one. It’s still the king but I think it’s lost some luster. 
And I’ll be the first to say my verification record is not great. But the constant barrage of hatred towards the ICON is more about the message and less about the messenger. It’s warm- and so far at least 75% of our tracks have ended up warm. 
IDK. I can recall winters where everything ticked SE as time progressed. This ain’t that winter. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Hey BW, this is a good site to track the high peaks snowpack of both Vermont and NY as Mount Mansfield is a great metric for all the high peaks snowpack as its historically holds snow from January to April every single year.  As you can see, it's currently flirting with historically low snow right now but that should change dramatically over the next few weeks, or at least I hope it does.  

https://www.matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

Capture.PNG.064675f8399ca5a9c74610e75df74250.PNG

This is amazing. Thanks for this. I have to buy crampons for our hike. I cannot wait. I also need new gear, hiking up 5k mountains with temps in the single digits and 4' of snow can be dangerous. Hopefully we see some moose of wolves too, last time they saw a  moose up there. ( I think it was New Hampshire though) Not sure if moose are in the dacks still? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The Tug averages 250-300" I thought? Perrysburg south of Buffalo averages 225" a year. Colden/Boston around 180-210". 

Yeah probably in the right ball park..

I just put 200+ in the tug like the NWS has lol

Obviously every year is different..

I can find years were Fulton and Palermo have had more snow than Redfield, not N Redfield lol

56 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Vegas fired Gallant after the Sabres beat them last night...Crazy! They are an expansion team with unprecedented success as a new team. He's a fantastic coach. I like Krueger but would 100% fire him for Gallant. 

Make Krueger GM and Fire botcherall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is amazing. Thanks for this. I have to buy crampons for our hike. I cannot wait. I also need new gear, hiking up 5k mountains with temps in the single digits and 4' of snow can be dangerous. Hopefully we see some moose of wolves too, last time they saw a  moose up there. ( I think it was New Hampshire though) Not sure if moose are in the dacks still? 

In my experience microspikes are more than adequate for ADK high peak winter hikes (a good pair though).  I hiked Gothics in December when it was quite icy, and microspikes worked just fine.  Make sure to have at least one hiking partner.  And choose your peak(s) wisely.  I hiked Wright a few winters ago.  Got above tree line and had difficulty following cairns to the peak with 50+ mph winds and near 0 vis.  Summit of Wright is notorious for high winds and severe conditions.  

I'm heading up to Lake Placid tomorrow, mostly cross-country skiing rather than hiking this trip.  That is if the snow makes an appearance in time.  Will post some pics to get you jazzed up for your trip!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Storm is still there. 

Up to hr 240 now lol

Saw that. GFS back to a just offshore coastal track and the thermal profiles look more like what one would expect. Over the past few days system has looked funky although it has had the storm with an inland track.  Something to keep an eye on while some of us await our mixed precip events to start over the next few days. ;)