• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

I think I'll end up with a foot of snow by next Wednesday but it'll come 3" at a time...

Weekend system looks about as I expected, 6-8 hours of snow at 1/2 - 3/4" per hr rates then rain and dryslotting slop followed by a few inches of Lake snow late sunday into Monday.  

And we do it all over again next weekend! 

Better than the last 4 weeks...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Not for nothing but the MJO forecast the past few weeks has been nothing short of atrocious as 1wk-2wk verifications have been so off, its hilarious!

The MJO has been the main driver of the record warmth we've been having. It's having similar effects to a strong El Nino with a PAC dominated warm flow. It dominated last years weather too, we could never get sustained cold all winter. 

You can see the models adjusting milder around the 25th now that they have such a strong AAM rise. This is occurring as the record MJO enters the Western Pacific phases. We are getting a very strong WWB with this and a more El Niño looking regime. The stronger ridge building into SE Canada around the 25th is part of this pattern.

A90C512C-9F57-4D01-87EF-9A6B947DF826.thumb.jpeg.7da315a565614d319a60482c8dd4d37f.jpeg

265A2B1A-08C7-4903-BDC6-789D885BF7CF.thumb.png.e3add6b8ab1863939a2ce4018f5af67b.png
03F83EFC-D860-408E-8B77-E8F6980D05B4.gif.d2799a2eaf0eed6a3d265fe0265650d9.gif

The MJO wweak sauce both Dec and Jan so I don't know where all this MJO mumbo jumbo is coming from all of a sudden.  Oh wait, OHWEATHER mentioned it so it must be correct right?  The MJO is one aspect of our weather not the root cause but if you believe its running our pattern then I guess the IOD has no bearing, which is what I think has been running the pattern but it also ties in with the MJO so this is one debate that can go on for days and days.  You have ur opinion and I have mine which has to do with the forcing the the Central Pacific in and around the DL which I mentioned yesterday but theres no need for this debate IMO!

We're both right in a sense and if someone mentioned the amped up PV and the atrociously + AO the past several weeks they would also be correct but saying the MJO is the leading force of our current pattern I'd have to disagree like I did, and that was solely the reason I did as there is never 1 aspect of our endlessly chaotic system that controls it all, NEVER!

I never said you were wrong I just said I disagreed and I answered why!

When there is an ever present trough over Hawaii just East of the DL it pretty much pushes everything Eastward as I mentioned yesterday with the forcing.  If that forcing had been displaced further West as it is East we'd be under a constant Trough as the North atlantic has been!  I may have an illustration

Look at the constant trough out across the NA now imagine it over us and if the forcing didn't screw us the way it did we'd be having a much different discussion, lol

NH 500 hgt 30 day loop

• Like 2

It's all connected as far as I'm concerned but some yrs some pieces have much more influence than others but I do not think its been the MJO as it has only come alive the past couple weeks as its been weak.  The further away from the center of the graph it goes, the stronger the Kelvin Wave but the last couple months its been in the center of the circle doing diddly!  The past week or so we've seen it come alive and now all of a sudden its gonna run things, Nah I don't think so, but I can be wrong.  My concern about the MJO forecast going forward is that it NEVER enters the cold phases, 8-1-2 and part of 7 but none of them get there, so does that mean Winter is over in Mid Jan?  I guess we'll see!

• Like 2