• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

In my experience microspikes are more than adequate for ADK high peak winter hikes (a good pair though).  I hiked Gothics in December when it was quite icy, and microspikes worked just fine.  Make sure to have at least one hiking partner.  And choose your peak(s) wisely.  I hiked Wright a few winters ago.  Got above tree line and had difficulty following cairns to the peak with 50+ mph winds and near 0 vis.  Summit of Wright is notorious for high winds and severe conditions.  

I'm heading up to Lake Placid tomorrow, mostly cross-country skiing rather than hiking this trip.  That is if the snow makes an appearance in time.  Will post some pics to get you jazzed up for your trip!

What type of gear do you wear?

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Syracuse gonna start making its move? 

They could if LES sets up right. I’m south of SYR in Skaneateles- and this is a perfect NW flow set up for us plus we have about 950’ of elevation. 

that map is 10:1 too - so over a foot from Thursday to Tuesday is looking more and more plausible. 

• Like 1

If that were remotely correct that band, which happens to be just about directly over my area of Williamsville, would drop about 6" of pure fluff...i can't EVER remember a time that a band dropped that much whose origin was lake Huron.

January 2010. Larger more complex overall system but a unique NW flow band from the upper lakes did linger over WNY for the better part of a day. 17” at KBUF and 31” at KIAG.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2009-2010&event=D

aa19410ec5c4895fe53be386b6227720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

January 2010. Larger more complex overall system but a unique NW flow band from the upper lakes did linger over WNY for the better part of a day. 17” at KBUF and 31” at KIAG.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2009-2010&event=D

aa19410ec5c4895fe53be386b6227720.jpg

I actually remember that. We were in Cheektowaga at the time and if I recall it was uber cold that day and was like 30:1 so the snow compacted quickly to about 10"...so you're saying there's a chance!!!

1 hour ago, 96blizz said:

They could if LES sets up right. I’m south of SYR in Skaneateles- and this is a perfect NW flow set up for us plus we have about 950’ of elevation. 

that map is 10:1 too - so over a foot from Thursday to Tuesday is looking more and more plausible. 

That area is sneaky impressive with NW flow. I drive down the east side of Skaneateles  lake and I’m always surprised  by the snow amounts! Cool area.