Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

23 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Step back on the GFS looks like wrt to initial slug of moisture

I think this is highly dependent upon what goes on in that northern stream. Still seeing a lot of fluctuation there. We are still at least 5+ days away. It may very well not go our way but I don’t think we are out by a long shot, especially with some improvement shown with the gfs.

Some people need to relax. Go to TT and cycle the last 10 runs. It’s just bouncing around between decent and not so good runs. No trend. Eventually it will get a handle on the details but not likely at this range. 

And even if we get a real trend (which would be over several runs with ens support not one op) it could trend back. Or maybe it won’t and who cares this isn’t our last chance. It’s mid Jan not March.  Why are some living in every run for a marginal front end thump on a cutter in mid Jan when much better threats are likely ahead.  I’m not tossing this, just saying calm down a little.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Some people need to relax. Go to TT and cycle the last 10 runs. It’s just bouncing around between decent and not so good runs. No trend. Eventually it will get a handle on the details but not likely at this range. 

And even if we get a real trend (which would be over several runs with ens support not one op) it could trend back. Or maybe it won’t and who cares this isn’t our last chance. It’s mid Jan not March.  Why are some living in every run for a marginal front end thump on a cutter in mid Jan when much better threats are likely ahead.  I’m not tossing this, just saying calm down a little.  

You're right.

11 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

My bad. I thought the op lost the possible coastal on the 24th. I have to stop looking at the models using my phone. 

Keep this in mind going forward... After next weekend we look to enter a period of split flow. Ops will never ever ever be remotely close to accurate 10 days away with split flow regimes because the northern stream holds the keys and ops can barely get the NS right within 5 days. Stick to ens guidance only and even then it's just general ideas.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

If anything the gefs is trending too strong with the blocking next week. Most runs suppress the system after the weekend one into the southeast. Too much ridging in Canada forces the trough axis southeast of us. Still likely to set up a threat as it relaxes later in the week. 

I noticed that. The classic h5 look period is right where we want it at this juncture though on the means. :weenie:

• Weenie 2

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’d rather stay interested in a possible winter event that is within a reasonable range than worry about hypothetical “better” events. If those come to fruition I’ll be highly interested in them as well. Until then I’m gonna follow this until it’s over or no longer feasible. I agree with you that people don’t need to live and die by model runs but I’m not getting why some are dismissing this chance. We followed an anafrontal “event” that had no chance imo and rarely if ever do. These types of events work for us often, at least some of us.

We don’t have the climate to ever dismiss a chance.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I noticed that. The classic h5 look period is right where we want it at this juncture though on the means. :weenie:

Yea it’s close enough not to toss the window. Either way did you see the day 12-15 window?  I mean either way the overall setup is good but with that look up top it is possible for something to get suppressed. But usually when we get blocking not every storm gets squashed. Especially as its shifts to epo blocking vs the ridge bridge look day 10. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’d rather stay interested in a possible winter event that is within a reasonable range than worry about hypothetical “better” events. If those come to fruition I’ll be highly interested in them as well. Until then I’m gonna follow this until it’s over or no longer feasible. I agree with you that people don’t need to live and die by model runs but I’m not getting why some are dismissing this chance. We followed an anafrontal “event” that had no chance imo and rarely if ever do. These types of events work for us often, at least some of us.

We don’t have the climate to ever dismiss a chance.

I’m not dismissing it. But I’m not throwing a mini melt over every op run shift either. And if it fails I’m not acting like it’s our last chance at snow. That’s all. 

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

This panel on the Gefs verbatim screams possible significant frozen event to me. Actually the 50/50 low off Newfoundland is probably the best spot yet the Gefs has spit out . I'm personally going to be heavily weighting the ensembles until Tuesday /Wednesday then start giving ops good weight.

PhotoPictureResizer_200112_182824626_crop_1421x1663.jpg

Lets hope the army of highs across Canada will help guide the low a bit more south.  The 1041 mb high is in a great spot for CAD. Alot to like in that panel. Im really surprised we dont see winter weather further southwest down the lee side of the apps into the carolinas.

@psuhoffman if we aren't going to have a -ao/nao, the current d15 mean h5 across all ens is the next best thing imo. Feb 2015 was mostly northern stream. Most of 13/14 was northern stream except the Feb storm. Current look is like 2014/15 + southern stream. I can't really recall any winter in the past 15 years that had a similar hemispheric lw pattern

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Only if you don't want any snow this weekend. 

Lol...I was just asking because I've had to shift through weekend posts to look for posts about how things up top were lookin' beyond that! (Not looking past this threat, though...but I am looking for anymore potential in the pipeline!)

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Lol...I was just asking because I've had to shift through weekend posts to look for posts about how things up top were lookin' beyond that! (Not looking past this threat, though...but I am looking for anymore potential in the pipeline!)

I like sticking to the 3 day rule meaning frozen precip starts within 72 hours or less. Some setups can get away with 4 day rule and this may be one of them if all 0z and 12z ops show frozen without degradation. We're walking a line with temps. Delay precip or miss the warm front WAA piece and it's a 100% rain storm 

12 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Lets hope the army of highs across Canada will help guide the low a bit more south.  The 1041 mb high is in a great spot for CAD. Alot to like in that panel. Im really surprised we dont see winter weather further southwest down the lee side of the apps into the carolinas.

Mainly because there’s very little precip at all to the sw on the east side of the apps

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I like sticking to the 3 day rule meaning frozen precip starts within 72 hours or less. Some setups can get away with 4 day rule and this may be one of them if all 0z and 12z ops show frozen without degradation. We're walking a line with temps. Delay precip or miss the warm front WAA piece and it's a 100% rain storm 

And that’s why I think the low has to get at least to the Ohio River

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic