Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

in fairness he admitted his excitement is mostly due to lack of anything else to be excited about

as bad as this pattern is...there is excitement when you see things that can get you out of the horrible pattern

• Confused 1

Just now, Mersky said:

JB covers all his bases pretty well so he can never admit he was wrong. He isnt the only guy who does it.

In fairness to JB (you all know I can't stand him but truth is truth) he admits he was wrong quite a bit.  He will spin so that it's "not his fault" with stuff like "I had this or that right but..." but the bigger issue is he is stubborn as all get out and will wait way way way too long to adjust.  He is so scared to "flip flop" that he holds onto an outdated idea way too long.  There are no points for that... a forecast should always be based on the preponderance of best evidence available.  We have to adjust when better evidence, and in weather more recent is almost always better than older guidance/data.  As for seasonally.. he will spin a crap look into "not that bad" to try to keep the weenies paying for another month or two...then admit defeat once its well into Feb and apparent his cold/snowy winter idea is toast.  

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

this is encourage...seeing some heights build the the regions that are killing our pattern right now

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro op def sped up the reshuffle towards a better pattern. We're starting to see some consensus build on the way we get out of this wretched pattern. 

Definitely.  What I am most encouraged about is where that might go.  The look day 10-15 is still not really great for snow...but that look matches patterns that rolled forward lead to snowier times.  Not there quite yet but build that ridging over the top just a little more and suddenly the western energy starts to slide across under us and its game time again.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Now we're talkin! EPS with a nice shift in the EPO region. Starts building before this panel but this is a very good sign for run over run h5 changes

MtqZqOd.jpg

This is closer to workable than where it was 2 days ago. 

2CF18678-43A1-4B1B-ACB8-2F5DC4D95697.thumb.jpeg.4091665002b5c5eef49cbaf7f4fe982b.jpeg

get that Scandinavia  ridge to poke into the NAO domain a little more and it sets off the chain reaction we need. It’s still got a ways to go but we’re seeing progress. I can see an easy way out from that look. The one the other day when the euro spilled a whole blue paint can all over the high latitudes was hard to even see an easy way out.  Seeing it back away from a continuation of the raging +NAM state is the best sign. 

• Like 2

GEFS is the fastest transition to a return to cold continental air in the east but the EPS is now looking very similar in the progression d10-15. GEFS has a better Atl and EPS has a better Pac but both ens show the MA back in the game around the 15th. Trend last few days has been to speed up the transition so I'm becoming encouraged that it's real and not a mirage.

Like I've said multiple times, we can sneak in some sort of jacked up event in overall crappy patterns. They don't come easy and I haven't been enthused with the recent teases. Maybe the 7th works out maybe not but by the middle of the month we may actually be back in the game for real winter wx. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GEFS is the fastest transition to a return to cold continental air in the east but the EPS is now looking very similar in the progression d10-15. GEFS has a better Atl and EPS has a better Pac but both ens show the MA back in the game around the 15th. Trend last few days has been to speed up the transition so I'm becoming encouraged that it's real and not a mirage.

Like I've said multiple times, we can sneak in some sort of jacked up event in overall crappy patterns. They don't come easy and I haven't been enthused with the recent teases. Maybe the 7th works out maybe not but by the middle of the month we may actually be back in the game for real winter wx. 

Both the EPS and GEFS have been moving the extent of the pac ridge further north and that is a significant change also.  The more it builds over the top the more it helps attack the TPV over the pole and helps press down on the flow over the CONUS.  When we were seeing unanimous support for an incredibly anomalous flat central pac ridge north of Hawaii that was really bad.  This look not nearly as much.  Still not good yet...but not the utter dumpster fire it was.  

1 minute ago, Mersky said:

i liked the late 70's, 80's and 90's JB. Before all the hype and climate change denying JB. In his day he was one of the best mets out there. Good to see the long term getting better. 

I actually liked him and corresponded with him semi regularly through emails when I was a meteorology student at Penn State in the late 90's and early 2000's.  He was always friendly and helpful with my questions and seemed like a really nice guy.  He also seemed to really know his stuff.  I still think he knows his stuff...I just think he has an agenda.  The last time I messaged him we got into a spat about my local climo and his forecast.  He was trying to use Washington's snow average to say my area verified his forecast.  And then he refused to believe me that I averaged 40" here.  And when I pointed out that DC didnt get what DC averages he got snippy.  That was the last private conversation I ever tried to have with him.   I will admit he has also said some dumb things about teachers that didn't sit well with me  but mostly its just his act got old after a while, and he went off the deep end with everything.  

One mid range trend lately is the higher heights over the pole that have been trending stronger.  This may give merit to the GEFS idea of a quicker transition as it already has the TPV out of the way when the PAC and or Scan ridge start moving poleward.  As amplified as the flow has been so far this cold season it could get fun with cold closer to our doorstep. I dont need epic...just get us back in the hunt.

4YCJU7f.png

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Now we're talkin! EPS with a nice shift in the EPO region. Starts building before this panel but this is a very good sign for run over run h5 changes

MtqZqOd.jpg

Not just the EPO region but that Scandinavian ridge might be what ends up saving the Atlantic as well. Get it to press the PV a little south and it could be game on.

• Like 1

Yes Ji, tremble in fear. For I, Showme, can smite your snow with a single post on the weatherboards.
image.png.7829b2cffbc0a770e6f874731d7ebaf5.png

I suggest tributes from you for now on, 6 figures sounds about right, if you wish to see any snow in your future.

We've had one snowstorm since 2016 blizzard....what are you going to smite?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ji said:
45 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:
Yes Ji, tremble in fear. For I, Showme, can smite your snow with a single post on the weatherboards.
image.png.7829b2cffbc0a770e6f874731d7ebaf5.png

I suggest tributes from you for now on, 6 figures sounds about right, if you wish to see any snow in your future.

We've had one snowstorm since 2016 blizzard....what are you going to smite?

Dec 2017, March 2018, Nov 2018, Jan 2019

And here come the reasons they all don’t count lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Ji said:
15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I counted jan 2019....the rest are out of season and I dont remember dec 2017

I don’t remember any snow in December 2017 other than a 1-1.5” little system on Dec 30

28 minutes ago, Ji said:
29 minutes ago, Ji said:

Jan 2019 barley counts...it was heading towards a bust and we got saved at last minute

How can you live in a world where a reverse bust that drops a foot+ barely counts? 

18z gfs says screw my post about things might be improving. Looks worse at the end than the beginning. Uh oh

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

How can you live in a world where a reverse bust that drops a foot+ barely counts? 

18z gfs says screw my post about things might be improving. Looks worse at the end than the beginning. Uh oh

LOL, I thought it looked better than 12z, at least on a hemispheric scale.

48 minutes ago, Ji said:
51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

35 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t remember any snow in December 2017 other than a 1-1.5” little system on Dec 30

I think it was Dec 9 2017. I had 6” up here. The cities only had 2” or so but I know not far NW had 3-5”. I think IAD had 4. Maybe it missed lees burg. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic