• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Down in the mountains of PA for the week. Surprised much of the inch of snow that is here survived the mid 40s today. I guess low dewpoint helps.

How did the pack do in the Syracuse area and rest of Upstate?

I'm almost down to bare grass here in Buffalo i think by tomorrow all of it will be gone lol..

Look it's almost fruitless at this point to even try and decipher what's going to happen...the GEFS shows a cold outbreak...then the euro weeklies show a great pattern fron the end of week one on through the end of January. Everything has changed more than a conflicted chameleon. I'm not expecting much to make sense until it does and even then I'll do so with reservation.

Just now, wolfie09 said:

As of DEC 19th North Redfield had 3" more inches than Rochester lol

She is headed for an all time worst year if things don't improve soon..

Crazy. But then again it seems like the trend throughout the ‘10’s is for winter to not really kick in until mid January.  If any silver lining this week, the lakes shouldn’t be losing any heat...Maybe Erie even jumps a degree or 2. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

What a horrible post, lol! Not even remotely close to reality but it's time of forgiveness so I forgive you but Merry Christmas Dave, lol! Fun begins right after Christmas and especially the New Year so I'll stay positive during this upcoming holiday week. Pretty much a guaranteed white Christmas for us, dont know about the rest of the CWA but We'll be OK, just cause!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oh you soothe soothsayer you! While Freak is enjoying his white Christmas and very excellent period, just following Christmas, the rest of us will be experiencing reality. 
I love him though. I really do. The outbursts have grown on me. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

If u don't have this site yet u should lol

Here is Webster NY which has about 10" less than Rochester proper..

Screenshot_20191223-095520.png

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USC00300608/detail

Webster hasn’t been in the sweet spot. Areas away from the lake have- Pittsford, Penfield, Walworth and Airport (especially the airport :maprain:)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CFS weeklies for the first time in history show BN temps and AN precip for a period during the winter. Models are just so bad now a days, seems like they are getting worse. 

It’s incredible to me that they’re getting worse- although it seems they are. Especially if you compare the Euro from 2-3 years ago. 
Ive had opportunity to see some of the advancements in what’s called : deep learning technology and I can’t believe it’s yet to be implemented into this field?!?!

Deep learning is going to revolutionize data analysis. Up until recently, most Computer data was comprised of a majority of noise. The value portion, at least in Radiology, was 20%. Deep Learning wipes away that 80%, which is Useless noise, and leaves you with a superior product. 
I wonder when this will happen in the models? Maybe it has? 
I’m in the weeds here but it’s area that fascinates me (in a layman’s way). 
Take a single data point, say temperature, at KROC, on Dec 23, at 1200, up until now, most computers would assess this temperature on an open scale, it says, “jeez, this temp could be anywhere from 0kelvin to ~ kelvin. Deep Learning says, “nah, remove all that nonsense, we know this temp will be between -20f and 80f.”
It doesn’t seem like much. But in the end you’re opening up tremendous opportunities and narrowing noise and error and speeding things up. 

12 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s incredible to me that they’re getting worse- although it seems they are. Especially if you compare the Euro from 2-3 years ago. 
Ive had opportunity to see some of the advancements in what’s called : deep learning technology and I can’t believe it’s yet to be implemented into this field?!?!

Deep learning is going to revolutionize data analysis. Up until recently, most Computer data was comprised of a majority of noise. The value portion, at least in Radiology, was 20%. Deep Learning wipes away that 80%, which is Useless noise, and leaves you with a superior product. 
I wonder when this will happen in the models? Maybe it has? 
I’m in the weeds here but it’s area that fascinates me (in a layman’s way). 
Take a single data point, say temperature, at KROC, on Dec 23, at 1200, up until now, most computers would assess this temperature on an open scale, it says, “jeez, this temp could be anywhere from 0kelvin to ~ kelvin. Deep Learning says, “nah, remove all that nonsense, we know this temp will be between -20f and 80f.”
It doesn’t seem like much. But in the end you’re opening up tremendous opportunities and narrowing noise and error and speeding things up. 

I've already incorporated "Deep Learning" into my snowfall forecast analysis/expectations.  Just take the 9 in 10 (Low End Amount) probability snowfall NWS puts out for a given system and call it a day.  Maybe you blend it with the "Expected" snowfall, if you are feeling bullish, and take an average or massage the data with the fuzzy maths of your choice..  Easy Peasy.  Done and Dusted.  ;) 

• Haha 2