• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

40 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

well i just lost my god darn phone in the snow while snow blowing...

Why did it have to snow today lol

Looks like ebay will be getting more of my money :fulltilt:

Yeah buddy, just found it buried..lol

Good to know the pixel can withstand 3hrs under the snow lol

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah buddy, just found it buried..lol

Good to know the pixel can withstand 3hrs under the snow lol

Does the pixel have a find feature like iPhone? Ie make sound even if silent?

as far as scary moments while out in lake effect how about when it’s snowing so heavy the wipers can’t keep up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

If your looking for an easy and safer route try taking 20. Get off the 90 at Transit Road in Depew and just keep heading due south. If you haven’t hit the band in West Seneca the road bends and turns into Southwestern Blvd at the Orchard Park town line. You can take that all the way to the state line if your heart desires. Nice thing about 20 is the state usually keeps it in really good shape for driving and if things get that intense there are tons of places you can pull off and camp out without being in the middle of no where. Driving those back roads through an intense band are terrifying in my opinion.

This is a really great suggestion.  That route will take you right through the heart of some of the best events while always leaving a clear way out by continuing either North or South; and like he said, that road is highly maintained.  Additionally, if you are chasing at night it is far more spectacular to be around giant illuminated parking lots where you can actually see the intensity of the snow falling.  If I can get into a intense band I like to post up in a target or Wegmans parking lot and just watch it come pounding down.  3-4" an hour rates are something to behold and that road is full of large parking lots and places where you can sit and observe while also checking radar, posting on here, etc.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’d love to get another chase in up there this season. For my chases I do not like to drive during the event. I prefer to post up in a predetermined spot and enjoy the surrounding area. Pros and cons for that, especially with LES. Watertown was awesome last year. 

Oh, yes...I remember it well. You saw way more snow hit from that event during your short visit than I saw from any event during the entire winter in Redfield!

Nah, I'm not bitter... :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Update to the AFD this morning...

That said, have become a little less impressed with the overall shear profiles, which have become less favorable
for a steady state heavy lake effect snow set up.

Also mentions bands shifting north Thursday. Hopefully they initially setup near the city before drifting south Wednesday.

20 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

That wintery pattern that was looking great yesterday??? Rain, lake effect, rain, rain snow mix, east coast rain storm (?) And front with you guessed it...rain. 

Seems to be a regular occurrence so far this early winter.

15 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I don't have a specific place to go.  I usually try to get in position just outside the bands to get a feel for the roads and local area.  I then proceed to punch through the band while maintaining some semblance of an escape plan if shit gets too dicey.  I usually try to hit the band perpendicular to its long axis with the hope of making it out the other side.  Seeing thundersnow, taking measurements, pushing out peoples cars along the way are the bonus agendas.  But yeah, in the end It really just ends up driving around.  Sometimes I'll pick some locations ahead of time to stop by such as small town with a restaurant to grab some food or an area on the lake front that is expected to be in the heart of the mayhem.   

I didnt have a great vehicle during the November 2014 storm and I knew it was out of my league, still sad I missed that one.  

I imagine,, like me, you purchased your Tundra with chasing intentions. My 4Runner came with beefy tires but I now have Bridgestone all season’s and I can already feel a big difference. Not sure I’d trust these in too much. 

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

That wintery pattern that was looking great yesterday??? Rain, lake effect, rain, rain snow mix, east coast rain storm (?) And front with you guessed it...rain. 

It's going to be a very up and down pattern based on the indices. It's not that bad of a pattern, and I would go with the EPS and GEFS instead of individual operation runs. The ENS are quite a bit more tame with the mild air. The models have also been pretty terrible outside of a week. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I imagine,, like me, you purchased your Tundra with chasing intentions. My 4Runner came with beefy tires but I now have Bridgestone all season’s and I can already feel a big difference. Not sure I’d trust these in too much. 

Well a snow tire is going to be the most ideal but I've had the chance to use several different tires on my f350 for snow plowing and found the goodyear all terrain adventure with kevlar to be a very good all season tire for the snow. I did have cooper discoverer at3 LT's on during the nov 2014 storm and the only time i got stuck was after falling asleep in my front yard lol(I did have 500 pounds of sand and a external 50 gal diesel tank so I had some good weight on top of my trucks 8500 pounds+1000pounds for snow plow).

9 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

Well a snow tire is going to be the most ideal but I've had the chance to use several different tires on my f350 for snow plowing and found the goodyear all terrain adventure with kevlar to be a very good all season tire for the snow. I did have cooper discoverer at3 LT's on during the nov 2014 storm and the only time i got stuck was after falling asleep in my front yard lol(I did have 500 pounds of sand and a external 50 gal diesel tank so I had some good weight on top of my trucks 8500 pounds+1000pounds for snow plow).

Good to know. I’ve just had these Bridgestones (Dueller HT Alenza) in slush and ice and can honestly say they suck. On dry, they’re amazing. Quiet, smooth and save me 2-3 mpg from the beefy off roaders.. 

So it’s pick ur poison. Great in the stuff or nice on the road. 
Your truck looks like a beast. Jesus Christ! That thing is worth more than my house! 

D6B0394F-4CF3-4FCE-ADC6-B58452644BCC.png