Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

NYC has more snowfalls 2" or more on this date ( March 6th ) than any other day in the year...so far NYC has 4.8" of snow to date...here is a list of years with the least amount of snowfall up to March 6th...

1997-98.....0.5"

1918-19.....1.1"

1972-73.....2.6"

1991-92.....3.2"

2001-02.....3.5"

1931-32.....4.7"

2019-20.....4.8"

1958-59.....5.7"

2006-07.....6.4"

2011-12.....7.4"

1899-00.....7.9"

1954-55.....7.9"

1877-78.....8.1"

1988-89.....8.1"

1955-56.....8.2"

1979-80.....8.2"

1998-99.....8.2"

That's interesting  that 01-02 is in that list with so little snow. I recall a big storm in January 2002. Granted, those are NYC numbers and I'm in NW NJ, so perhaps NW NJ cashed in. 

However, this was the same day that the famous Raiders at Patriots "Tuck Rule" playoff game was played. It snowed big time in Foxboro that evening. Is it possible that the storm managed to hit NW NJ and somehow get to Southern New England without slamming NYC?

3 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

That's interesting  that 01-02 is in that list with so little snow. I recall a big storm in January 2002. Granted, those are NYC numbers and I'm in NW NJ, so perhaps NW NJ cashed in. 

However, this was the same day that the famous Raiders at Patriots "Tuck Rule" playoff game was played. It snowed big time in Foxboro that evening. Is it possible that the storm managed to hit NW NJ and somehow get to Southern New England without slamming NYC?

It definitely snowed the night of that game. I remember going outside to shovel for my parents at halftime. I lived in North Jersey at the time, about twenty minutes west of the city. I think it was a couple of inches here but it really blew up when it traveled up the coast.

4 minutes ago, matt9503 said:

It definitely snowed the night of that game. I remember going outside to shovel for my parents at halftime. I lived in North Jersey at the time, about twenty minutes west of the city. I think it was a couple of inches here but it really blew up when it traveled up the coast.

I had an appointment in Morris County around 3 PM and my wife was like "you seriously going to drive in this?" So it must have been much worse here in western Morris county than NYC. 

10 hours ago, golfer07840 said:

That wouldn't be odd at all. NWNJ (Sussex specifically) actually averages more snow per season than Foxboro, although I'm sure there are several in the New England forum that would take offense to that fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

That wouldn't be odd at all. NWNJ (Sussex specifically) actually averages more snow per season than Foxboro, although I'm sure there are several in the New England forum that would take offense to that fact.

The vast majority of NW NJ averages around 40-60" generally depending upon elevation, that's basically the same as Foxborough (45-50")

20 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

The vast majority of NW NJ averages around 40-60" generally depending upon elevation, that's basically the same as Foxborough (45-50")

If you use the 1981-2010 averages, which is all we will have until January 2021 when everyone in the Northeast will go up several inches at most locations as the 1980's are dropped and the 2010's added,  you'd have a hard time arguing that Foxborugh averages 45-50 inches of snow per season.

Taunton Ma 16 miles south of Foxborough averages 28 inches and Franklin Ma. 12 miles to their NW averages 41 inches. That would put Foxboroughs average closer to 35-37 inches, extrapolating the difference in miles from each. Sussex has a 40.7 average in the 1981-2010 period so that's a higher average than Foxborough but close enough that it's not worth a prolonged discussion, yet I made it one anyway. Just bored with this pattern and nothing much else to do.

WTS I usually take 30 year averages with a grain of salt at most locations. My observations through the decades of following this is how notoriously bad many locations are at recording snowfall totals. What's 3-5 inches per season difference? It could be as little as an observer that just doesn't bother to measure the less than 1 inch totals or not take a peak measurement until a storm has settled and compressed.

Foxborough averages very close to Franklin, MA. And that is more than 40" long-term no matter which averages you want to use. Not only is Foxborough closer to Franklin geographically, most of Foxborough is 300-500' (like Franklin) asl while Taunton mostly below 200'. Gillette Stadium is >400'. I grew up there and know the climo a little. It's not what you think it is.

SNE Average Snowfall.PNG

14 hours ago, Ericjcrash said:

Even then who cares? If you're elderly or generally high risk for the flu its business as usual with precautions.... no one bats an eye at the flu yet there's hysteria about this equally routine virus.

This isn’t no flu don’t listen to Trump. This is a man made virus made to kill you and I by the elite!

be careful out there

Even then who cares? If you're elderly or generally high risk for the flu its business as usual with precautions.... no one bats an eye at the flu yet there's hysteria about this equally routine virus.

their is a flu vaccine so comparing this to the flu is laughable..

Umm not "elderly" but middle aged with diabetes or high BP. Which is millions of people. The virus is much worse than the flu as no one has immunity. Kids do not get the disease, but they carry the virus. Probably because their systems are set to be exposed to new viruses; adults are not. Health care workers are also dying because of viral load. How serious is this? Every school system in NJ is expected to close within the next two weeks. Plans have been made to deliver lessons at home. The days do not have to be made up. Attendance policies for both staff and students have been suspended. My wife is a researcher in pharma and they have been told to be ready for long term closure. In 31 years, through the brutal winter of 94, and weeks long closures due to Sandy, districts have never been told they don't have to make up days. And requests to do online lessons in lieu of snow days have been denied by the state. Not this time. I expect this will ultimately change the way things are done moving forward; snow days will be a thing of the past, and it is setting a precedent for cyber learning. It's going to be one big experiment. Universities are telling students they can stay there on break, but if they go home be ready to continue lessons online. I have never seen anything like this. We were called in the other day with administrators and told this is not if, it is when....let's hope to God this is all hype and comes to nothing. Because frankly, our medical system is a mess and cannot handle this. There are not enough respirators, masks, hospital beds, or health care workers. The current mortality rate is around 3.4%. It could be lower if it turns out far more people are infected with milder disease, but with not enough testing kits,  hard to say . If, as expected, 60-70% of the population becomes infected, do the math. And around 20% of nonfatal cases are serious and require hospitalization. The only hope is that the virus peters out in warm weather, but experts do NOT expect that to happen. And even if it does, they expect it to be back in the fall. Now, I am not a scientist. I am trained in social sciences, but I am married to a biotechnologist engaged in muscular dystrophy research. We talk. And I read. A lot. And I know we have a few PhD's here who are better able to delve into the particulars, and if they have some more reassuring data, please post it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, SnowFeen1 said:

This isn’t no flu don’t listen to Trump. This is a man made virus made to kill you and I by the elite!

be careful out there

Umm no. Coronaviruses are common. One researcher has identified over 500 in bats in China alone. There's no need to manufacture one. And when this one is dealt with, another one will pop up. According to one zoologist, our proximity to animals is the reason for these outbreaks. All our measures are reactive; vaccines, quarantine etc. He thinks we need to re-examine the proximity issues. How we would do that I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flu vaccine is often not very effective, as there are many different flu variants. This virus may be equally unpredictable, just a lot more dangerous.

Meanwhile, we are in the early stages of discovering the downside to a globalized economy, it busts all over rather than in pieces. The shortage of masks is just an early symptom, medicines and chips will soon follow. They all reflect the collapse of production in China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Umm no. Coronaviruses are common. One researcher has identified over 500 in bats in China alone. There's no need to manufacture one. And when this one is dealt with, another one will pop up. According to one zoologist, our proximity to animals is the reason for these outbreaks. All our measures are reactive; vaccines, quarantine etc. He thinks we need to re-examine the proximity issues. How we would do that I have no idea.

Keep believing that. You’re obviously another brain washed person to think the whole world is going to be scared from a regular coronavirus. This is different buddy. I suggest you take precautions for you and your family. A lot of people are going to be dying!

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, SnowFeen1 said:

Keep believing that. You’re obviously another brain washed person to think the whole world is going to be scared from a regular coronavirus. This is different buddy. I suggest you take precautions for you and your family. A lot of people are going to be dying!

Most of the precautions are for keeping others from getting it. Listen to what they are saying. Stay home. CALL the doctor, don't go to the office. Call the hospital. Stay home. In other words, nothing can be done for you. Stay home and don't spread it. But the idea it was made in a lab, c'mon dude. Next you'll be telling me the Patterson bigfoot film wasn't a guy in an ape suit....

37 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

People will deny and mock the seriousness of the virus situation until either 1) things get so bad that nobody bothers to hold them accountable, or 2) our counter-measures are effective at averting disaster and they can say they were right all along. Deniers of all ilks have nothing to lose.

How true. The cat's outta the bag already; the virus was not contained here, likely from incompetence by those at the top but in the end it may be something that was impossible to do. 

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

How true. The cat's outta the bag already; the virus was not contained here, likely from incompetence by those at the top but in the end it may be something that was impossible to do. 

well the virus probably got here not much later after it was first diagnosed in china many months ago... in this age of global travel nothing could have prevented this..

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Umm not "elderly" but middle aged with diabetes or high BP. Which is millions of people. The virus is much worse than the flu as no one has immunity. Kids do not get the disease, but they carry the virus. Probably because their systems are set to be exposed to new viruses; adults are not. Health care workers are also dying because of viral load. How serious is this? Every school system in NJ is expected to close within the next two weeks. Plans have been made to deliver lessons at home. The days do not have to be made up. Attendance policies for both staff and students have been suspended. My wife is a researcher in pharma and they have been told to be ready for long term closure. In 31 years, through the brutal winter of 94, and weeks long closures due to Sandy, districts have never been told they don't have to make up days. And requests to do online lessons in lieu of snow days have been denied by the state. Not this time. I expect this will ultimately change the way things are done moving forward; snow days will be a thing of the past, and it is setting a precedent for cyber learning. It's going to be one big experiment. Universities are telling students they can stay there on break, but if they go home be ready to continue lessons online. I have never seen anything like this. We were called in the other day with administrators and told this is not if, it is when....let's hope to God this is all hype and comes to nothing. Because frankly, our medical system is a mess and cannot handle this. There are not enough respirators, masks, hospital beds, or health care workers. The current mortality rate is around 3.4%. It could be lower if it turns out far more people are infected with milder disease, but with not enough testing kits,  hard to say . If, as expected, 60-70% of the population becomes infected, do the math. And around 20% of nonfatal cases are serious and require hospitalization. The only hope is that the virus peters out in warm weather, but experts do NOT expect that to happen. And even if it does, they expect it to be back in the fall. Now, I am not a scientist. I am trained in social sciences, but I am married to a biotechnologist engaged in muscular dystrophy research. We talk. And I read. A lot. And I know we have a few PhD's here who are better able to delve into the particulars, and if they have some more reassuring data, please post it. 

great post...

19 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i don't know the ages of the people here but if your elderly or middle age with medical issues you should be scared until a vaccine is found..

A vaccine is years away. Further, companies don't want to invest in vaccines for novel viruses since it may not pay off. 

22 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

A vaccine is years away. Further, companies don't want to invest in vaccines for novel viruses since it may not pay off. 

We've had flu vaccines for many years, but they work only partially, maybe 70% if we're lucky. I doubt the vaccine for this bug will perform much better.

For people over 50, they should try really hard not to catch it. That is the best advice imho.

1 hour ago, etudiant said:

We've had flu vaccines for many years, but they work only partially, maybe 70% if we're lucky. I doubt the vaccine for this bug will perform much better.

For people over 50, they should try really hard not to catch it. That is the best advice imho.

It varies by year. This year's was only 30%, because both A and B strains were circulating, and the shot offered no protection against one of the B strains. You can try hard not to catch it, but it's not likely to succeed. For instance, my 17 year old daughter went to work, where a colleague is sick and came to work. This is what happens in a society that doesn't mandate paid sick leave. I work with school children from k-12. Parents send the kids to school sick on a regular basis. i have had the flu, as have both my adult children, this year, despite the shots. I also had walking pneumonia after a bad cold. Many people have had nonspecific viral fevers this winter, and it is possible some of this was COVID-19. we simply don't know. But, it was a fine day outside, even if the local Aldi was out of water and Walgreens had no alcohol....not sure why people are stocking water. i don't think the tap is under any threat.

• Like 1