Total Members
    Most Online
    TrickBamland
    Newest Member
    TrickBamland

Winter 2019-2020 Banter Thread

6 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Longest November ever

Yep...I think I said this in another thread. Feels like an eternal Fall and we're waiting for Winter to "kick in". Guess what....Spring is fast approaching and hearing the damn birds chirping with "showers" in mid Feb doesn't help!

I really don't see any chance of snow the rest of the season....if so, very minimal. Again this week we hit mid 40's -50's with rain than a another cold shot by Thurs - Friday or so. And not really cold...mid to upper 30s highs? And  repeat after that? Pretty sure Philly is under 1" for the  year. I may be at 2"? Really a pathetic winter and if this becomes the norm moving is certainly an option. And one would only need to move 100-150 miles to see something resembling winter... 

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I really don't see any chance of snow the rest of the season....if so, very minimal. Again this week we hit mid 40's -50's with rain than a another cold shot by Thurs - Friday or so. And not really cold...mid to upper 30s highs? And  repeat after that? Pretty sure Philly is under 1" for the  year. I may be at 2"? Really a pathetic winter and if this becomes the norm moving is certainly an option. And one would only need to move 100-150 miles to see something resembling winter... 

Here's an interesting thought experiment...where would you rather live? No middle ground here. Pick one or the other:

A place like Marquette MI where even in a bad season, you're gonna get 150" of snow. No need to worry about teleconnections, blocking, ENSO, sun spots, any of it! Just get the wind to blow from the right direction and you're digging out. But then I wonder, would I care about snow at the point? Would I quickly get bored with it like the kid who has a pool in his backyard but never goes swimming? I think that's what make us weenies -- even though it does snow around here, it's still something special. Even in our best winters, we're still only talking about 3 good storms or so.

Or would you rather live in a place like Key West, where there is absolutely NO chance of snow. Again, you're not torturing yourself looking at long-range guidance or seasonal outlooks. It's not going to snow, who cares! Just spend the winters drinking margaritas and watching beautiful sunsets.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Here's an interesting thought experiment...where would you rather live? No middle ground here. Pick one or the other:

A place like Marquette MI where even in a bad season, you're gonna get 150" of snow. No need to worry about teleconnections, blocking, ENSO, sun spots, any of it! Just get the wind to blow from the right direction and you're digging out. But then I wonder, would I care about snow at the point? Would I quickly get bored with it like the kid who has a pool in his backyard but never goes swimming? I think that's what make us weenies -- even though it does snow around here, it's still something special. Even in our best winters, we're still only talking about 3 good storms or so.

Or would you rather live in a place like Key West, where there is absolutely NO chance of snow. Again, you're not torturing yourself looking at long-range guidance or seasonal outlooks. It's not going to snow, who cares! Just spend the winters drinking margaritas and watching beautiful sunsets.

I thought about different regions of the country and believe parts of Colorado are the place to be. Great scenery and you can go from 70-80F and get slammed with 1-2' snow in the blink of an eye. Better than other areas that are bland and colder that hit their totals nickle and dime all winter. Colorado would give you that big nor' easter hit feel. Almost no long cool dreary wet patterns from coastal influence and  slow upper level lows like we get subjected too.

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I thought about different regions of the country and believe parts of Colorado are the place to be. Great scenery and you can go from 70-80F and get slammed with 1-2' snow in the blink of an eye. Better than other areas that are bland and colder that hit their totals nickle and dime all winter. Colorado would give you that big nor' easter hit feel. Almost no long cool dreary wet patterns from coastal influence and  slow upper level lows like we get subjected too.

As I creep closer to retirement (55)  I’m thinking about moving to the Phoenix/Mesa AZ area.  Been out there several times and it’s gorgeous with great temps for half the year.  Sure the summers are hot but very little humidity make it much more tolerable.  If you want to get your appetite of snow, Flagstaff is only a 4 hour drive North.  Averaging 100 inches a year and an elevation of almost 7000 feet, taking the easy drive up occasionally on weekends would satisfy your snow hunger.  I believe it was last winter, Flagstaff set a 24 hour snow record of 36”. 

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I want no part of this....I want to see snow and hate warmth and the idea of no snow ever would be very depressing. Ideally N/NW Maine/New Hampshire  would be great. Plenty of snow, cooler summers, hunting, fishing etc. Locally speaking, I would head to a place like Jim Thorpe. Nice scenery, history and usually don't get shafted by the rain/snow line like down here. If anything, it changes to sl;eet/frz rain and it's still a cool event.  

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm considering a family relocation to either VT or ME. 

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm considering a family relocation to either VT or ME. 

Sounds great in my book! I'd still be a Philly sports fan but would enjoy better climate/wilderness life and less congestion from the 95 corridor big cities/close suburbs. I could do without the hassle as I grow older....