• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dorkchopper
    Newest Member
    dorkchopper

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

2 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Looking at the threat for Friday night and into Saturday.. Several EPS members support the OP with the idea of a surface low cutting under the apps as a phase occurs in the upper levels.  Where exactly that phase occurs is a big unknown.  This past Euro run goes along with what the ICON has shown as well for the past several runs.  Heavy precipitation falls into a close to frozen column, and in some areas dynamic cooling could keep the precip as snow.  That might become a buzz word in the next couple of days if what the Euro shows is correct.  Nonetheless glad to have a few things to track, its been a while..

GFS and Euro about 500 mile apart at 5h currently, So something has to give...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buckethead said:

Just walked outside. We have flurries here as well! And dang is that a cold NW wind.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

yes, it's freaking cold here as well

• Like 1

Frankly I am not too worried the reports of Winter's early demise. It's cold at 3500 feet across from Buck Mountain this evening!.

WK34temp (1).gif

WK34prcp (1).gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Not sure if anyone noticed but we have some light snow currently. 

Yes, read above, we've had a few posts about it...and it's still some flurries here

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

What's the difference between a "Pro forecaster" and a "Meteorologist" as labeled on this board?

I'm  not sure Joe. Apparently no one else does either, hence no replies. I think there is a semi-pro league and a Q school you can enter if you pay the entry fee.

Btw, I think you're one of the best posters on the internet and I appreciate what you do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I'm  not sure Joe. Apparently no one else does either, hence no replies. I think there is a semi-pro league and a Q school you can enter if you pay the entry fee.

Btw, I think you're one of the best posters on the internet and I appreciate what you do.

Ill get thos sorted out for you today Joe lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

snowing lightly in West Asheville now, :snowwindow:

Made me look; some flakes flying on the East side too.

• Like 1

Just about our best snow of the season here in Boone and no one was calling for a thing, no advisories, nothing and yet we get a solid dusting with untreated surfaces solid white. First time I’ve seen my parking lot white this season. Incredible.

• Like 4

Even down at my office on Bald Mtn. Rd there's about the same amount.

Makes me wonder what that moisture-starved piece of energy might be able to wring out as it passes to the SW tonight. Maybe the SW mountain folks can get a little something as well. ccbf747f6e5dc17c2902a0c8b7fd1c9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

What's the difference between a "Pro forecaster" and a "Meteorologist" as labeled on this board?

My understanding from years back is that a Meteorologist is someone who has a college degree in Meteorology. Pro Forecaster is someone who is, or has been, employed in the weather forecasting industry, but doesn’t have the Meteorology degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That flow from the ULL really creating some lift in the upper atmosphere. Models didn’t pick this up well at all. ICON was showing precip for tomorrow AM around Franklin and Highlands so I expect that to come to fruition as the ULL gets closer. Could have a surprise inch for many in the area.

• Like 4

Though y'all might enjoy this. You can see air being funneled though the French Broad valley now through the mountains:

giphy.gif

There's some subsidence coming off Bays Mountain in E TN that's causing the break in the clouds on our side of the mts. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah you can tell this is just really hitting the most favored areas. I talked to a friend in Candler who was like what snow.

Yep, flurries at my house and can see the snow showers developing just to our East as the mountains don’t block the flow as good.  Above 4000’, the mountain top is snow covered.  Dusting at our house at 3350’ on our side of the county line and nothing hardly on the Jackson county side.  No accumulation below 3000’ here either.  Mid-teens at 10 am.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Yep, flurries at my house and can see the snow showers developing just to our East as the mountains don’t block the flow as good.  Above 4000’, the mountain top is snow covered.  Dusting at our house at 3350’ on our side of the county line and nothing hardly on the Jackson county side.  No accumulation below 3000’ here either.  Mid-teens at 10 am.

Sweet! Its funny Jackson hardly gets any snow in these type situations.